Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Apr 15, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #9,121 of 9,188
I bought some Nordost knock off aliexpress USB cables and a power cord and believe it or not they are very high quality. Definitely was worth the not much cash I spent on them. This is a case of. You won't know till you try them. I would stick to the ones with more 5 star reviews which means someone already tried that particular cable and liked them. Might be worth checking out.

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #9,122 of 9,188
Bought another custom Hakugei cable, this time a 2-pin for my IEMs. I had specified that it come with ear hooks, and it seemed from the messages that they understood: "Ok, need ear hooks", they said.

However, it didn't come with ear hooks lol.

I was thinking on whether to go through the trouble to try sending it back, but when I tried it, the flexibility and weight of the cable makes it settle around my ears quite stably without ear hooks, unlike other cables I've tried, so I guess I didn't need them after all.

Well I'm happy in this case, but understand that communication with the seller might not be exactly what you think it is. Diagrams/pictures are recommended.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #9,123 of 9,188
Bought another custom Hakugei cable, this time a 2-pin for my IEMs. I had specified that it come with ear hooks, and it seemed from the messages that they understood: "Ok, need ear hooks", they said.

However, it didn't come with ear hooks lol.

I was thinking on whether to go through the trouble to try sending it back, but when I tried it, the flexibility and weight of the cable makes it settle around my ears quite stably without ear hooks, unlike other cables I've tried, so I guess I didn't need them after all.

Well I'm happy in this case, but understand that communication with the seller might not be exactly what you think it is. Diagrams/pictures are recommended.
Where did you buy from?

Apr 18, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #9,125 of 9,188
Hello to everyone,

im new to the forum and have read about 100 pages in this thread for the last 2 hours..

I was just looking for a balanced cable for my Shure se846 wich i got really cheap form somone but they are pretty quiet at my Fiio M11 Plus even in high gain and on 115 max volume so a balanced cable will be the way..

Now ive seen so much recommandation and im totaly confused.

I want to buy a good cable because the lifetime on the mmcx will be limited so trying out a lot of stuff will be a bummer for me..
Ive never ordered anything form aliexpress so im kinda afraid but it seems like this is the way to go..
My fist opinion was the Meze mmcx 4,4 cable for 150€ wich is the half of the price ive payed for my shures.. so will be the china stuff as good as this?

thx for the help, in any way..

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #9,126 of 9,188
Hello to everyone,

im new to the forum and have read about 100 pages in this thread for the last 2 hours..

I was just looking for a balanced cable for my Shure se846 wich i got really cheap form somone but they are pretty quiet at my Fiio M11 Plus even in high gain and on 115 max volume so a balanced cable will be the way..

I want to buy a good cable because the lifetime on the mmcx will be limited so trying out a lot of stuff will be a bummer for me..
Ive never ordered anything form aliexpress so im kinda afraid but it seems like this is the way to go..
My fist opinion was the Meze mmcx 4,4 cable for 150€ wich is the half of the price ive payed for my shures.. so will be the china stuff as good as this?

I'd be more concerned about the quietness issue than with a balanced cable. That FiiO should be way more than loud enough for those Shures (114dB sensitivity, 9 Ohms), and it doesn't look like the balanced output on the FiiO will give you that much more output (300 mW @ 16 Ohms SE vs. 400mW @ 16 Ohms balanced). You sure there isn't some buried setting somewhere that's attenuating the signal in some way? Or something funky happening with impedance matching? It's possible your current cable is too resistive or that the FiiO's output impedance (~2 Ohms) is too high for those low-impedance Shures (or both).

Regardless, I don't think going balanced will solve your issue.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #9,127 of 9,188
Hello to everyone,

meze use 20eur cable from aliexpress. see on box- made in china,not in meze factory. copper is not up occ high purity. just 20eur aliexpress cable sells for 150eur

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #9,128 of 9,188
Hello to everyone,

• I mostly buy cables from aliexpress during sales events when they have a good/reasonable price
  • some cables on aliexpress have a discount of 90% or more from their "normal" non-sale price (meaning they are heaviliy overpriced outside sales events)
  • always check with pricearchive.org what the real price is
  • do not be afraid of shopping on aliexpress as they care about import duties and taxes.
  • but pay attention to the shops reputation!
Here are some official shops that I prefere for cables:

XINHS Official Store: https://xinhs.aliexpress.com/store/910746107/
NiceHCK Audio Store: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1825606/
Edit: IviQ-03 Store: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1102641102

If you do not want to use Aliexpress you can checkout hifigo.com
They have a "All tax and duties paid" option at checkout for zero trouble shopping and import.

Edit:
Before buying a cable in the 150 USD price range you should make sure, that you can "hear the difference". Otherwise you can save a lot of money.
You do not need that much money for high quality cables.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #9,129 of 9,188
I'd be more concerned about the quietness issue than with a balanced cable. That FiiO should be way more than loud enough for those Shures (114dB sensitivity, 9 Ohms), and it doesn't look like the balanced output on the FiiO will give you that much more output (300 mW @ 16 Ohms SE vs. 400mW @ 16 Ohms balanced). You sure there isn't some buried setting somewhere that's attenuating the signal in some way? Or something funky happening with impedance matching? It's possible your current cable is too resistive or that the FiiO's output impedance (~2 Ohms) is too high for those low-impedance Shures (or both).

Thx for the fast response, there are not quiet in thermes of that there is no real output, more in therms that i wonder to have a loud volume i have to max out everything.. I dont think i have a setting going on that results in this, for me the se846 just seems more quiet then my other phones. I also have the HD650 when i plug it at the 3,5 mm it goes a bit louder then the the se846 but then i also have the Audio Technika MSR7b pugged on the balanced out it crushes my ear even at low gain 115 voulume so i guess the balanced out is deffently louder so that difference would be way enougth for me to use the se846.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #9,131 of 9,188
  • I mostly buy cables from aliexpress during sales events when they have a good/reasonable price
  • some cables on aliexpress have a discount of 90% or more from their "normal" non-sale price (meaning they are heaviliy overpriced outside sales events)
  • always check with pricearchive.org what the real price is
  • do not be afraid of shopping on aliexpress as they care about import duties and taxes.
  • but pay attention to the shops reputation!
Here are some official shops that I prefere for cables:

XINHS Official Store: https://xinhs.aliexpress.com/store/910746107/
NiceHCK Audio Store: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1825606/

If you do not want to use Aliexpress you can checkout hifigo.com
They have a "All tax and duties paid" option at checkout for zero trouble shopping and import.

Edit:
Before buying a cable in the 150 USD price range you should make sure, that you can "hear the difference". Otherwise you can save a lot of money.
You do not need that much money for high quality cables.
Thanks a lot, tho. This is some crucial info for me..

Ive checked a few things and it seems Hifigo.com seems more cheaper then aliexpress, is that real?

is there a real difference in the quality of the different models of this brand or should i just go for the look?

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #9,132 of 9,188
Thanks a lot, tho. This is some crucial info for me..

Ive checked a few things and it seems Hifigo.com seems more cheaper then aliexpress, is that real?

is there a real difference in the quality of the different models of this brand or should i just go for the look?
Check out IVIPQ as well… I really like their cables.

Hifigo will have the cheapest/correct price when there isn’t an active AE sale, but where there is it’s much better to buy on AE.

quality is about the same for most, niceHCK typically uses nicer material but I had some cosmetic issues when I ordered from them, and the cables were pretty stiff.

Don’t worry about sound until you can determine for yourself what you are looking for, or if you can even tell the difference. Comfort/aesthetics first!

Edit - always check the coupons on AE as well…

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #9,133 of 9,188
Check out IVIPQ as well… I really their cables.

Hifigo will have the cheapest/correct price when there isn’t an active AE sale, but where there is it’s much better to buy on AE.

quality is about the same for most, niceHCK typically uses nicer material but I had some cosmetic issues when I ordered from them, and the cables were pretty stiff.

Don’t worry about sound until you can determine for yourself what you are looking for, or if you can even tell the difference. Comfort/aesthetics first!

Edit - always check the coupons on AE as well…
that helps me out a lot!

the HAKUGEI seems to be very beautyful :O

I love the purple cables.. I got the se846 in black so i guess it will fit :)

Okey i check out more stuff on AliExpress..

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #9,134 of 9,188
The prices on hifigo.com are the more "real/realistic" prices. But on sale some cables are cheaper on Aliexpress. (As @theintention said, but was faster with typing)
I always look first at the connectors (pins and plug) to estimate the quality of a cable. This is the most important factor for me.

Yes IviQ also create good cables.
IviQ-03 Store: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1102641102

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #9,135 of 9,188
oh wow, thanks! That is really good to know..
So from what ive read i should look for a 7n Occ 8 Core cable, is that right?
There is a significant difference from brand to brand, and each cable within a brand. It can be a real headache at first.

Any reputable brand will have good cables at a variety of price points: Xinhs, NiceHCK, IvipQ, Hakugei and more.

Material: generally copper is warmer and more musical, silver is bright and detailed, and silver plated copper is somewhere between. Rather than focusing on the purity of the cable, just get advice from those of us who have tried a lot of cables.

If you give a budget and preferences for looks and effect on the sound (if any), we can hopefully guide you to some good choices. @HifiFrog is right that you would be best off trying a cheaper cable before throwing around serious money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back