Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
May 29, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #8,477 of 9,223
What cable are you using?
I found that the NiceHCK BlackSoul paired really well with the SR5
This one https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGnUFT3
It makes the sound a bit v-shaped but much layered and most resolving of all my cables. It unobtrusively emphasizes micro-details, adding some splendor, weight and micro-dynamics.
UPD. I don't know what is it - all my NiceHCK cables kill space depth.

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #8,478 of 9,223
What cable are you using?
I found that the NiceHCK BlackSoul paired really well with the SR5
What kind of synergy do you mean? I guess it's tonality. I prefer exclusively both: tonality and technicality and omit if there are no both.

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #8,479 of 9,223
What kind of synergy do you mean? I guess it's tonality. I prefer exclusively both: tonality and technicality and omit if there are no both.
For me it tames a bit the treble and the overall sound is more relaxed and warm.
I paired the SR5 with the PWAudio Copper V2 cable, that enhanced the bass and treble, and I found the sound fatiguing.
That cable is being sold for 220€... 😲

May 29, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #8,480 of 9,223
I normally buy new cables from XINHS but decided to grab some new NiceHCK cables. A couple of Blackcats, JiaLai and the PurpleSE. Strictly for the build quality and the visual esthetics.

Attachments

• IMG_20230529_212334~2.jpg
    IMG_20230529_212334~2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
May 30, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #8,481 of 9,223
For me it tames a bit the treble and the overall sound is more relaxed and warm.
I paired the SR5 with the PWAudio Copper V2 cable, that enhanced the bass and treble, and I found the sound fatiguing.
That cable is being sold for 220€... 😲
I discovered that GuCraftman silver and copper cables make the sound darker and more relaxed, with the same details. One drawback - less resolution. But these cables must be in the thread of mid-price cables.

May 31, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #8,483 of 9,223
Does anyone know where I can buy the cable included with the XINHS x Akros Erasmus, but with MMCX connectors instead of 2-pin? It looks like the NiceHCK C8-1 cable, but in a different color and with a fabric braid. Anyway, this plug, splitter, chin slider and connectors are commonly used by various Chinese brands. Alternatively, is something similar (gold plugs and accents) available at a reasonable price, which in my case should be under $30 excluding taxes? In general, I'm looking for a cable that visually matches my Venture Electronics SIE and a cable from Erasmus caught my eye.

qqCMGk8.jpg

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #8,484 of 9,223
Does anyone know where I can buy the cable included with the XINHS x Akros Erasmus, but with MMCX connectors instead of 2-pin? It looks like the NiceHCK C8-1 cable, but in a different color and with a fabric braid. Anyway, this plug, splitter, chin slider and connectors are commonly used by various Chinese brands. Alternatively, is something similar (gold plugs and accents) available at a reasonable price, which in my case should be under $30 excluding taxes? In general, I'm looking for a cable that visually matches my Venture Electronics SIE and a cable from Erasmus caught my eye.

qqCMGk8.jpg
Xinhs are really helpful if you message them directly on AE, and can almost certainly identify and customise the cable.

I recommend the Penon OS133, which looks very similar and sounds a little better to my ears. It's slightly more expensive on the Penon website.

If you want a much darker sounding cable, the NiceHCK BlackSoul is sometimes on sale for under $30 (don't buy it for more).

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #8,485 of 9,223
@Echalon Thank you for your reply. I'll send a message to them. As for the cables, I haven't heard much difference between them, if any. The two you mentioned look nice and I'll take them into consideration. I'm going to make one more comparison, because cable supplied with VE SIE is quite expensive and they sell it alone for 69$, so I can assume it sounds good. I'm gonna confront Dic Vita with some random MMCX cable and see or actually hear the results.

May 31, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #8,486 of 9,223
@Echalon Thank you for your reply. I'll send a message to them. As for the cables, I haven't heard much difference between them, if any. The two you mentioned look nice and I'll take them into consideration. I'm going to make one more comparison, because cable supplied with VE SIE is quite expensive and they sell it alone for 69$, so I can assume it sounds good. I'm gonna confront Dic Vita with some random MMCX cable and see or actually hear the results.
I have all these cables, so according to my ears:

Xinhs Erasmus cable: Standard copper cable. While Xinhs make some remarkable cables, this isn’t one of them. Slightly thin sounding compared to the others here, with very slightly less mids and bass.

Penon OS133: a little richer and fuller then a basic cable. A great all purpose cable for the price.

NiceHCK BlackSoul: Reduced treble, full bass and mids. Currently using this on my Erasmus to make them less bright.

VE Vita: Standard copper characteristics (full bass and mids) but with unusually great detail and extension in the treble. If the IEMs are capable of good resolution and tone, these will really let them shine. Using for the IMR Bass Cannon 2023 and 7Hz Timeless.

Choosing the right cable is a bit of an art, especially if you care about the looks (I do too). A cable doesn’t have to be expensive to sound great - the NiceHCK PurpleSE, for example, is often under $20 and represents great value. And just because a cable is expensive doesn’t make it good. Even good cables can be a bad match - I just got the Penon Orbit and love it, but it has far too much treble for most of my IEMs.

Try to match the cable to your tastes and the IEM you will be using, and feel free to ask me and others here for our opinions. We all have our biases and tastes, but hopefully you can use those to get the answers you need.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #8,488 of 9,223
I have all these cables, so according to my ears:

Xinhs Erasmus cable: Standard copper cable. While Xinhs make some remarkable cables, this isn’t one of them. Slightly thin sounding compared to the others here, with very slightly less mids and bass.

Penon OS133: a little richer and fuller then a basic cable. A great all purpose cable for the price.

NiceHCK BlackSoul: Reduced treble, full bass and mids. Currently using this on my Erasmus to make them less bright.

VE Vita: Standard copper characteristics (full bass and mids) but with unusually great detail and extension in the treble. If the IEMs are capable of good resolution and tone, these will really let them shine. Using for the IMR Bass Cannon 2023 and 7Hz Timeless.

Choosing the right cable is a bit of an art, especially if you care about the looks (I do too). A cable doesn’t have to be expensive to sound great - the NiceHCK PurpleSE, for example, is often under $20 and represents great value. And just because a cable is expensive doesn’t make it good. Even good cables can be a bad match - I just got the Penon Orbit and love it, but it has far too much treble for most of my IEMs.

Try to match the cable to your tastes and the IEM you will be using, and feel free to ask me and others here for our opinions. We all have our biases and tastes, but hopefully you can use those to get the answers you need.
So in theory, the OS133 and Black Soul should fit my taste when paired with Erasmus. SIE, on the other hand sounds really good OOTB with included Vita cable, but I don't like the look of it and it could be more flexible. BTW what switches position are you using your Erasmus on?

I only change cables if I don't like the look or if they have poor ergonomics. I completely agree that price doesn't matter at all - also when it comes to IEMs, headphones, DACs and other audio equipment. In most cases, a high price heralds good quality, but there are many exceptions. NiceHCK PurpleSE looks amazing, but I wonder how it would fit visually with VE SIE. I'd buy this cable for my BLON BL-03, but they have unusual sockets and most cables don't look good with them.

Thanks for your help.

All you need is purpleSE
Thanks for reply. So another vote for the Purple SE! I'm already sold, the way it looks (visually pleasing and well made) combined with the affordable price make it instabuy. Even if it won't fit the VE SIE, I'll still be able to use it with the TRI I3 and iBasso IT00 or other IEM-s I buy in the future. It'd go great with my old Tripowin TC-01, which I unfortunately sold or these new Kiwi Ears Quartet.

Jun 1, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #8,489 of 9,223
I REALLY mustn't buy any more cables in the summer sale. It keeps getting harder to zip up the fishing rod case I use to hide them. The number of XINHS and ivipQ cases is also a bit of a giveaway. Frankly, I'm afraid to count them.:sweat:

Well, maybe a couple of QDC copper cables. PR2 has stolen the NiceHCK C16-3 off my EDX Ultra. TRN MT4 graph looks like it will sound better with a copper cable too...:thinking:

There was a time where I couldn't see the point of spending any money on cables. Now I think a considerable portion of Bougainville's GDP is generated by twisted pieces of metal around my neck!:rolling_eyes:

Jun 1, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #8,490 of 9,223
So in theory, the OS133 and Black Soul should fit my taste when paired with Erasmus. SIE, on the other hand sounds really good OOTB with included Vita cable, but I don't like the look of it and it could be more flexible. BTW what switches position are you using your Erasmus on?

I only change cables if I don't like the look or if they have poor ergonomics. I completely agree that price doesn't matter at all - also when it comes to IEMs, headphones, DACs and other audio equipment. In most cases, a high price heralds good quality, but there are many exceptions. NiceHCK PurpleSE looks amazing, but I wonder how it would fit visually with VE SIE. I'd buy this cable for my BLON BL-03, but they have unusual sockets and most cables don't look good with them.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for reply. So another vote for the Purple SE! I'm already sold, the way it looks (visually pleasing and well made) combined with the affordable price make it instabuy. Even if it won't fit the VE SIE, I'll still be able to use it with the TRI I3 and iBasso IT00 or other IEM-s I buy in the future. It'd go great with my old Tripowin TC-01, which I unfortunately sold or these new Kiwi Ears Quartet.
Since using the BlackSoul, I usually have both switches on but I do change it if I want a more relaxed experience. Akros typically uses both off, apparantly, but he may use a brighter cable.

For the BL03 you can use any 2 pin cable, but it’s not quite as secure as the obscure plug type of the official cable. I use a NiceHCK BlackCat on it as that gives a small boost to the mids, making the BL03 less V tuned and better for vocals. Like the PurpleSE, the BlackCat is a great deal if you can get it for under $20. As it’s black with silver hardware it will look good with all the BL03 colours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back