Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Jan 22, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #7,412 of 9,211
I'm facing a bit of a dilemma at the moment. I ordered a new ifi iDSD Nano Black Label for use with IEMs and now I'm looking for cables and am finding that 3.5mm balanced is limiting the cable choices. Do I:

A) Just go SE, how much quality am I leaving on the table with the "S-Balanced" by using a single ended cable?
B) Go 2.5mm balanced with an adapter like this? Do they have any negative impact on the sound quality?
C) Order the cables and reterminate them into 3.5mm TRRS? I'm no stranger to soldering but getting 8+ wires soldered to a 3.5mm connector does seem like it might require steadier hands than I possess.
D) Stick the ifi up for sale and buy something else.

Option B seems like the best solution as long as those adaptors are transparent.

Jan 22, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #7,413 of 9,211
I'm facing a bit of a dilemma at the moment. I ordered a new ifi iDSD Nano Black Label for use with IEMs and now I'm looking for cables and am finding that 3.5mm balanced is limiting the cable choices. Do I:

A) Just go SE, how much quality am I leaving on the table with the "S-Balanced" by using a single ended cable?
B) Go 2.5mm balanced with an adapter like this? Do they have any negative impact on the sound quality?
C) Order the cables and reterminate them into 3.5mm TRRS? I'm no stranger to soldering but getting 8+ wires soldered to a 3.5mm connector does seem like it might require steadier hands than I possess.

Option B seems like the best solution as long as those adaptors are transparent.
I would say B is the cheapest and fastest option.

Personally, I would go with the DD Hifi dj35A, because you can return it without issues if you don't like it.

Jan 22, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #7,414 of 9,211
Hi!. I've tried to scan a few pages of this thread, but I wasn't able to find cheap but good cables for headphones.

Does anyone has leads, specifically for Hifiman headphones? 3.5mm dual connector
Many of the aliexpress sellers will make custom cables for you if you ask.

xinhs made both of these cables for me for my Sony z7m2 and Final Audio Sonorous iii, both are 3.5mm x 2 but wired differently. I recommend xinhs, he's the most honest seller I've dealt with on aliexpress and cables are really good quality.
IMG_20220107_090519.jpg
IMG_20220107_090013.jpg

Jan 22, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #7,415 of 9,211

A) have not used Nano BL specifically but have tried other iFi devices, you are not missing much by using Single-Ended. Maybe some soundstage widening when direct A/B comparing the outputs.
B) As long as the Adapter has good quality internals, it should work well. I have ddHiFi DJ35A, I read somewhere that when measured it has higher Impedance and so will effect sound signature a bit. I don't hear a difference between the ddHiFi adapter and the one that came with my A&K Diana so maybe with more revealing gear it will matter.

D) If you are happy with the way it sounds, why spend extra on marginal improvements on a DAC. Save up and get IEM's or Headphones.

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #7,416 of 9,211

ifi still claims an advantage of the circuit with standard se wiring. I don't think they claim a power advantage running balanced (or "s-balanced) so I would either just run 3.5 single ended or 2.5mm with adapter.

Jan 23, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #7,417 of 9,211
Hi!. I've tried to scan a few pages of this thread, but I wasn't able to find cheap but good cables for headphones.

Does anyone has leads, specifically for Hifiman headphones? 3.5mm dual connector
I use OpenHeart (left) and FAAEAL (right), $10-15 from AliExpress. I would also second the recommendation from @dougms3 for XINHS, I have some IEM cables from him and they are very good quality. I haven't asked him for custom.

hifiman_cables.jpg

Jan 23, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #7,418 of 9,211
I would say B is the cheapest and fastest option.

Personally, I would go with the DD Hifi dj35A, because you can return it without issues if you don't like it.
The DJ35A is very neat but it's 2.5 balanced to 3.5 single ended TRS and he wants 3.5 balanced TRRS. I have the DJ35A, most of my stuff is terminated in 2.5mm so use it (or other adapters) for when I do connect to single ended. It actually has quite high measured resistance, but not sure it's so much as to make any audible difference. There are options with much lower resistance though, I also have the OKCSC one (which is very cheap, extremely well built, and measures better) as well as a short-cable type (which also seem to measure better).

I believe with the iFi he could use that, but it would then be running entirely as a single ended cable and he'd get no benefit from the "S-Balanced" (like reduced crosstalk). May as well just run 3.5mm cable if he wanted to do that. With 3.5mm TRRS he'd get separate grounds all the way to the headphone. The one he linked was an actual 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm balanced.

I'm not sure any of this really makes a huge difference, particularly with ifi's "S-balanced" which is actually single ended and doesn't provide any more power. But if wants the full benefit of it, he need to use a cable with a TRRS termination at the jack.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #7,419 of 9,211
I have one coming but don’t have it yet. I do have a Leyding though. Decent cable but more along the lines of the 40 dollar Tripowin cables in terms of hardware and overall feel. I’m thinking the Ace will be the same. The modular plugs are a little on the larger side compared to Fiio and Dunu but not bad.
Got the Kinera Ace yesterday. Compared to the Leyding, they are pretty much the same. Cable diameter is equal or very close, hardware is the same quality, cable handles and feels comparable. Biggest difference is in the modular system. The Ace has a more compact main, female connector while the Leydings is a bit longer. However, the pins of the Leyding plugs are recessed down into the plug housing. The Leydings plug slides over the connector. The Ace's plugs pins sit about flush with the end of the plug housing. So the ACE plugs just slide on and sit flush with the end of the main connector. This leaves the contact points more exposed with the ACE. The Leyding connection system ends up a little bit nicer in terms of fit and finish (and exposure) in the end but it's probably not a huge deal. Both cables connectors end up being almost the same length when all is said and done. They aren't ridiculously long or anything, but a bit longer than a fixed connector cable. The plugs are NOT interchangelable between ACE and Leyding. Slightly different design and size makes them incompatible.

If you are just looking for an inexpensive modular cable system, the ACE saves money. I can't compare sonics because my Leyding is 2 pin and my Ace is mmcx. They are both OFC copper based cables. Both a mix of OFC copper and SP OFC copper and some type of "alloy" with the Leyding. Marketing seems to pump up the Leyding a bit more in terms of the wire but who knows. Both specified as litz wires. The presentation box is a bit nicer with Leyding. Larger with a magnetic flap and a zippered, puck type case for the cable. The Ace just comes in a smaller box with a thin suede or faux-suede envelope style pouch. Neither anything fancy. And again. slightly more "elegant" connection system with Leyding but I can't see it costing more than a few pennies to implement it compared to the ACE.

I just think it's nice that we are seeing affordable cables with modular plugs now. Between these lower cost Kinera cables, the new Tripowin Noire and a couple TRN cables (even though they don't include all plugs), you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for a modular cable.

Fiio LC-RE modular cable with my 7Hz Timeless on left. Kinera Ace in middle. Kinera Leyding on right. Both Kinera plugs are 3.5mm, Fiio is 2.5mm but I think it's evident enough that the size of both Kinera modular systems are similiar and only a little bit longer than the Fiio system. I think you can also see that the overall qualities are comparable between the less expensive Kinera Ace and more expensive Kinear Leyding.
Modularcablessm.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #7,420 of 9,211
I've only been able to look through about 200 of the pages here and i see it used to be common for tear downs of cables. Is anyone dissecting these Xinhs cables and seeing if theyre as they say? properly soldered and actually the wire claimed? i feel like im seeing alot of inconsistencies about what the wire is on dif listings and some seem to intentionally put a photo showing the "splice" or whats actually in the wire, while some seem to avoid it.
Responding to myself because i dont want to repeat it but want to highlight the question. Has any1 done this? Or has anyone accidentally broken one of these wires and inspected it after? I recently got this 8 core in https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001786868630.html with a few custom requests and i love the quality of it, but i cant help but think he used a similar type of wire as in this listing https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001786868630.html which is clearly not pure copper when you look at the photo of its splice. The 8 core also seems to avoid showing a splice. Would love any of your thoughts on this

I wanted to order a couple more custom cables from him, but regardless of me liking it or not, i wanna know that i'm getting what im asking for.

If i do break it on accident, id look through it and ill be the first to comment on it lol

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #7,421 of 9,211
Responding to myself because i dont want to repeat it but want to highlight the question. Has any1 done this? Or has anyone accidentally broken one of these wires and inspected it after? I recently got this 8 core in https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001786868630.html with a few custom requests and i love the quality of it, but i cant help but think he used a similar type of wire as in this listing https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001786868630.html which is clearly not pure copper when you look at the photo of its splice. The 8 core also seems to avoid showing a splice. Would love any of your thoughts on this

I wanted to order a couple more custom cables from him, but regardless of me liking it or not, i wanna know that i'm getting what im asking for.

If i do break it on accident, id look through it and ill be the first to comment on it lol
The two links are the same

If you look at the detailed description it states that it's 50 strands of UPOCC + 50 strands of UPOCC silver plated.
It also says "5N UPOCC silver-plated" in the description.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #7,422 of 9,211
The two links are the same

If you look at the detailed description it states that it's 50 strands of UPOCC + 50 strands of UPOCC silver plated.
It also says "5N UPOCC silver-plated" in the description.
My mistake on the links, having trouble figuring out how to link Ali stuff. I meant this wire is the one i purchased https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002350509830.html with the bright copper at a length of 1.7m for $42+tax, which does not state about plating and this was the other wire i meant https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001786868630.html which is what you were referring to.. which does mention plating

I also asked if he could make a custom wire which would be similar to the 8core i ordered but have a dark copper wire that matches the thickness of the silver wire in my 8 core and in the full silver 8 cores that he lists here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002042493770.html (which is said to be a strand diameter of 1.0mm) so it would flow more visually and weigh less, and after about 5 different ways of him trying to say he couldnt do it, and me asking why cant you just combine it with this wire: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001844114428.html which is also 1.0mm... he eventually stated he'd be willing to do it "with a high quality 7n upocc copper wire". Thing is when you look at the splice of the wire in these listings, it causes me to see no reason to believe the last link i mentioned is any different of a wire from this wire: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001797053604.html or this wire: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001738261920.html which is said to be "7n" and appears to just be different thicknesses of the same wire with different strand counts and strand thicknesses. It also just makes sense to me that a business would buy varying degrees of the same thing if "it works". Sort of just going on a visual call, my history of doubting listing claims, as well as the fact theres plenty of fakery of varying degrees with these businesses that sell cheaper cables

That is where i base my thoughts. It seemed very odd to me that he'd be willing to do it with a "high quality 7n upocc wire", apparently one he doesnt have in any his listing, but not the 1.0mm copper one i linked. I have no reason to believe the one id receive if i ordered that custom wire of 1.0mm copper and 1.0mm silver, that it would be any different than this same 1.0mm wire: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001844114428.html i linked...

In my head, the custom wire i wanted to produce should be cheaper than the full silver 8 core, if it were the same length, since copper wire is the cheaper wire of the two. That only makes sense right? I did want the wire a bit longer as part of my custom order, and would have expected a price around maybe $30 give or take a few bucks (since the full silver is about $27, itd be half the amount of silver (say 13.50+ extra wire length cost), and half the 1.0mm copper wire which was about $13(say 6.50+extra wire length cost), but due to him wanting to use an alleged 7n wire thats different than the one in those listings, itd be $40+tax. I'd expect that if i wanted a full silver wire at 1.7m ($27 pure silver wire+40%wire length cost increase). But additionally, my initial 8 core custom purchase was a wire listed at $32, but was 40% longer, and yet the cost of the wire was less than a 40% increase in length which i agree with as i believe the more "bulk" you're buying of anything, the more the markdown should be. I have no problem paying extra for custom stuff or whatever, the situation just doesnt come across honest to me. Sure its only a potential extra $10/15 he'd make, but i dont put anything passed anyone to do. In messaging him i was also expressing excitedness in making a bunch of custom wires until he hit me with that, and i think he might have saw potential to make a little extra. He says its only possible with this 1.0mm 7n copper wire that he doesnt list. I could pay that, but id probably be convinced he gave me that same $13 wire at some "i got ya to pay more ya stupid audiophile" markup lol.

Sure these wires seem decent, its awesome you can ask for customizations, better made than many at this price, and im rambling on about a $10 difference but, i just cant help but want as much trust as i can have in the business im purchasing from and i feel like im seeing tiny red flags.

Only realized all this after i ordered but it just felt shady... like i almost wanna tear this 8 core up and see if theres anything other than copper in the copper strands but im too broke to be an experimental audiophile like that... or i guess too broke to be an audiophile anyway lol

Edit: i cannot for the life of me figure out how to post these aliexpress links... every link i type on here goes to the front page when im copying a direct url and its not linking to the item. When i click my links it takes me to the front page of aliexpress but when i copy and paste into my browser it opens them fine, maybe try copy pasting to see what i mean? Sorry for the wall of text

And then of course theres this wire: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001874009159.html for $13 which visually appears to be a 1.0mm(maybe thinner cant tell and little to no details in listing) version of the first wire that i linked and purchased, it mentions plating, and yet no dark copper version or one mixed with "pure silver" variant which is what he tells me is $40

I also thought silver was supposed to be lower resistance than copper right? Yet in rikuduogoku's database im seeing almost all the pure silver wires have higher resistance. Could it not be real silver? I dont know enough about readings like that

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #7,423 of 9,211
My mistake on the links, i meant this wire is the one i purchased https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002350509830.html with the bright copper at a length of 1.7m for $42+tax, which does not state about plating and this was the other wire i meant https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001786868630.html which is what you were referring to..

I also asked if he could make a custom wire which would be similar to the 8core i ordered but have a dark copper wire that matches the thickness of the silver wire https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002042493770.html (which is said to be a strand diameter of 1.0mm) so it would flow more visually and weigh less, and after about 5 different ways of him trying to say he couldnt do it, and me asking why cant you just combine it with this wire https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001844114428.html which is also 1.0mm. He eventually stated he'd be willing to do it "with a high quality 7n copper wire". Thing is when you look at the splice of the wire in these listings, it causes me to see no reason to believe the last link i mentioned is any different of a wire from this wire https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001797053604.html or this wire https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001738261920.html which is said to be "7n" and appears to just be different thicknesses of the same wire with different strand counts and strand thicknesses. It also just makes sense to me that a business would buy varying degrees of the same thing if "it works". Sort of just going on a visual call, and my history of doubting listing claims, as well as the fact theres plenty of fakery of varying degrees with these businesses that sell cheaper cables

That is where i base my thoughts. It seemed very odd to me that he'd be willing to do it with a "high quality 7n wire", apparently one he doesnt have in any his listing, but not the 1.0mm copper one i linked. I have no reason to believe the one id receive if i ordered that custom wire of 1.0mm copper and 1.0mm silver, that it would be any different than this same 1.0mm wire https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001844114428.html i linked... when in my head, the custom wire i wanted to produce should be cheaper than the full silver 8 core since copper wires cheaper. That only makes sense right? I did want the wire a bit longer as part of my custom order, and would have expected a price around $25/30 (since the full silver is about that, the 1.0mm copper wire was about $13, and itd be a bit longer at 1.7m which would add to wire cost) but due to him wanting to use an alleged 7n wire thats different than the one in those listings, itd be closer to $40. He says its only possible with this 1.0mm 7n copper wire that he doesnt list. I could pay that, but id probably be convinced he gave me that same $13 wire at some "i got ya to pay more ya stupid audiophile" markup lol.

Sure these wires seem decent, its awesome you can ask for customizations, and better made than some at this price, but i just cant help but want 100% trust.

Only realized all this after i ordered but it just felt shady... like i almost wanna tear this 8 core up and see if theres anything other than copper in it but im too broke to be an experimental audiophile like that... or i guess too broke to be an audiophile anyway lol

Edit: i cannot for the life of me figure out how to post these aliexpress links... every link i type on here goes to the front page when im copying a direct url and its not linking to the item

Edit2: When i click my links it takes me to the front page of aliexpress but when i copy and paste into my browser it opens them fine, maybe try copy pasting to see what i mean?
So far I have found him to the most honest seller on aliexpress. I once questioned him about the difference between the 8 core and 12 pure silver cable because the 12 core was just about the same thickness as the 8 core, he said they are the same thickness 1mm but the pvc is thinner on the 12 core so that it can fit in the 2.5mm connector. Seemed like BS to me but after take close up shots of the cables, it was exactly as he said.

The only thing you have is trust, if you don't trust him then don't buy from him.

So you're complaining about a $13 difference in price for a highly customized cable that in the end costs $40? Contact some of the other sellers and see what they charge you for customizations. I'll save you some time, lunashops wanted to charge me $40 more for the customizations that xinhs did for free witth the price of the listed item. And he was acting like he was doing me a favor while he was explaining this to me.

Also you are cherry picking from his cheaper cable options and asking for quite alot of customization and expecting alot. Think about if someone asked you to customize something to the extent of what you asked him and how much you would charge that person for your time and work.

He's not starbucks.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #7,424 of 9,211
I'm looking for a replacement MMCX for a pair of Shure SE215. They are not mine ; apparently the get disconnected very often from the cable being used at the moment (not the stock cable, that one broke a while ago). Need a cheap alternative, but not on aliexpress.

Criterias: sub-$30-$40 ; black and preferably with right angled jack. Also with ear hooks.

My first choice is these: https://penonaudio.com/accessories/earphone-cable/mmcx/magaosi-ty-01.html
Any opinions? Alternatives?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back