Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Jun 10, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #4,307 of 9,220
Jun 10, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #4,309 of 9,220
Jun 12, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #4,311 of 9,220
Hello I need a cable for my new BL-03, preferably under $20.

... also never used anything other than Amazon so I don't know what to watch out for when using other sites.

Edit: If context matters I've wanted to buy the Tripowin Zonie, but I want to be open to other alternatives as well.

Edit 2: I probably also have to weight this against the fact that in the case of Amazon, a brother in law has access to amazon prime so it would be ordered through that.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #4,312 of 9,220
Any recommendations on a short 2pin 0.78mm cables that I can use for Bluetooth setup? I found Hiby cable on Aliexpress which looks interesting, and someone said dd-audio makes one. Any others? Fiio makes excellent LC-3.5-BS but that is an MMCX version, they do not make a 2-pin version of it sadly.

Jun 12, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #4,313 of 9,220
Any recommendations on a short 2pin 0.78mm cables that I can use for Bluetooth setup? I found Hiby cable on Aliexpress which looks interesting, and someone said dd-audio makes one. Any others? Fiio makes excellent LC-3.5-BS but that is an MMCX version, they do not make a 2-pin version of it sadly.

What length? You want 3.5mm single ended, right? Do you know if you need recessed or non recessed 2-pin?

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #4,314 of 9,220
Hello I need a cable for my new BL-03, preferably under $20.

... also never used anything other than Amazon so I don't know what to watch out for when using other sites.

Edit: If context matters I've wanted to buy the Tripowin Zonie, but I want to be open to other alternatives as well.

Edit 2: I probably also have to weight this against the fact that in the case of Amazon, a brother in law has access to amazon prime so it would be ordered through that.
I have the Tripowin Zonie on my KZ ZS10 PRO and I love the combo. While I don't own the BLON BL03, I think it would work great and sound great. The cable is very well built, and quite soft and supple. It helps tighten up the bass, and give better definition and detail to the mids and highs, imo. If you can get it from Amazon, go for it. I ordered another one for the Urbanfun ISSO14 I ordered in March (in 2.5mm balanced, with an mmcx connector), both from the same seller on Aliexpress. Sadly, I never received my order and had to file a dispute on Aliexpress. Thankfully, I got a refund for both the iems and the cable. But I can say, from my experience, the Zonie is an excellent upgrade cable.

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #4,316 of 9,220
Thanks, 45cm or 50cm max length and non-recessed 0.78mm 2pin connector that Empire Audio uses in their universal IEMs

CB569E12-C269-4DA3-A868-C21504106D0F.png

https://a.aliexpress.com/_dXKPkZu

If you don’t like that style, Chitty has others to choose from. Different colors, different wire materials, etc. Just contact him and tell him Slater from HeadFi sent you, and he’ll take good care of you :)

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #4,317 of 9,220
If you don’t like that style, Chitty has others to choose from. Different colors, different wire materials, etc. Just contact him and tell him Slater from HeadFi sent you, and he’ll take good care of you :)

Thank you!! I was looking at that one in Aliexpress recommendations and I like that it has blue/red markers on the connectors for right/left. Wasn't sure on the quality of the cable as compared to dd-audio but now with your recommendation I will get that one and let Chitty know you referred as well :)

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #4,318 of 9,220
I have the Tripowin Zonie on my KZ ZS10 PRO and I love the combo. While I don't own the BLON BL03, I think it would work great and sound great. The cable is very well built, and quite soft and supple. It helps tighten up the bass, and give better definition and detail to the mids and highs, imo. If you can get it from Amazon, go for it. I ordered another one for the Urbanfun ISSO14 I ordered in March (in 2.5mm balanced, with an mmcx connector), both from the same seller on Aliexpress. Sadly, I never received my order and had to file a dispute on Aliexpress. Thankfully, I got a refund for both the iems and the cable. But I can say, from my experience, the Zonie is an excellent upgrade cable.
I do find it kinda strange I see no measurements of its impedance yet. Neither for gray nor for white/gold variant (and from what I understand from hakuzen, different colors often come with different materials, changing the impedance in the process although more often than not the effect is very minor). Or maybe I haven't searched hard enough... Or maybe it just measures like 200mΩ like any other generic 16 core cables and maybe it's too obvious to point out?

I haven't found BL-03's impedance graph either, so I dunno how much output impedance affects it across the hearing range. Although I assume the coil's inductive effects don't affect the impedance much across its output range? And in general single driver IEM are for the most part immune to subtle changes in output impedance.

I wonder if someone has both color variants and either measured it or at least tested with their ears to spot any difference.

... and I'm overthinking this again. Don't I?

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #4,319 of 9,220
I do find it kinda strange I see no measurements of its impedance yet. Neither for gray nor for white/gold variant (and from what I understand from hakuzen, different colors often come with different materials, changing the impedance in the process although more often than not the effect is very minor). Or maybe I haven't searched hard enough... Or maybe it just measures like 200mΩ like any other generic 16 core cables and maybe it's too obvious to point out?

I haven't found BL-03's impedance graph either, so I dunno how much output impedance affects it across the hearing range. Although I assume the coil's inductive effects don't affect the impedance much across its output range? And in general single driver IEM are for the most part immune to subtle changes in output impedance.

I wonder if someone has both color variants and either measured it or at least tested with their ears to spot any difference.

... and I'm overthinking this again. Don't I?
Mmm...imho, you are overthinking it. The way I look at it, cables are just another form of tone control. Tips are another form. I guess it just depends on what you are looking to correct on the iems you are using. What are you looking to gain with your BLON BL03, with a cable swap? Is it a comfort or aesthetic issue? Are you looking for a sound change? These are just a few factors that play into the equation.

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #4,320 of 9,220
Mmm...imho, you are overthinking it. The way I look at it, cables are just another form of tone control. Tips are another form. I guess it just depends on what you are looking to correct on the iems you are using. What are you looking to gain with your BLON BL03, with a cable swap? Is it a comfort or aesthetic issue? Are you looking for a sound change? These are just a few factors that play into the equation.
Yeah primary reasons for it is:

1. Not the biggest priority but stock cable is VERY tangle prone, probably the most tangle prone cable I ever used!
2. I think it should be smooth sailing for the zonie, I'm mostly praying its impedance isn't higher than stock cable, but once again probably only important for a future 2 pin multidriver IEM, not for the BL-03 themselves.
3. Enabling the ability to try them cable down (not really viable on stock cable due to angled jack). Being highly flexible isn't mandatory but a nice plus to go along with this which from what I heard the Zonie is a very flexible cable.
4. Last but certainly the most important of them all. Well I'll just quote Slater for this one.
*** NEWS FLASH ***

I discovered something about the BL-03 today, that was previously unknown by the community.

I was carefully examining the BL-03, and I noticed that there is a fully functional bass vent right at the 2-pin plug.

This bass vent can get COVERED UP and sealed when the stock cable is used (or a banned brand that makes an upgrade cable using the stock plug ends):

However, when a generic 2-pin cable is used, the bass vent is fully UNCOVERED. This is due to the way the generic cable sits on top of the stock socket.

I tested this with different cables, and sure enough there is a difference. This difference is not due to the cable itself, but rather the vent being covered vs uncovered. I think this can explain at least why some people were hearing different BL-03 tuning, the (untrue) rumors of the different colors sounding different, etc. Some people said it had too much low end, others said it was too little, etc.

You can even test this with the stock cable, by partially unplugging the stock cable so that it unseals the vent. This proves that a stock vs 'upgrade' cable is not reason, but rather the bass vent.

The BL-05 has no such bass vent, and there is significant difference in the quantity of bass between the BL-03 vs BL-05:

Sure, the BL-05 uses a different shell and newer generation of driver, which does have some influence on the difference between the BL-05 vs BL-03. But the lack of bass vent on the BL-05 is a significant contributor on the BL-05 having less low end vs the BL-03.

Edit: well only 3 and 4 are primary reason, 1 and 2 are just kinda nice to have. I worded it kinda poorly.

Edit 2: Looks like all it's specified about the Zonie is that it's a spc 16c with possibly eidolic connectors, but it comes in either gray or gold/silver variants, so those colors don't appear to be indexed in this site so far. Closest thing I found is #70. But only comes in pink?

Edit 3: Linsoul advertises it as:"Your best bugedt IEM cable". Well typo notwithstanding, seems like it's not without competition, but doing a very good job at living up to the claim all the same.

I also wonder how hard is to find ohmmeter/multimeter with mΩ measuring properties. Seems like I'd like to buy this cable then measure it myself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back