Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
May 4, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #4,186 of 9,305
This makes a lot of sense. Can you or anyone else suggest a 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm unbalanced adapter aka 'pigtail adapter' that you speak of? I'm looking for a L-plug as most 8 and 16 core cables seem to be straight which doesn't work well in my pocket with the ES100 bluetooth DAC.

Some people use these compact adapters:
11225449.jpg
11225448.jpg

May 4, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #4,187 of 9,305
May 6, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #4,189 of 9,305
Out of curiosity, do you prefer the thicker cables such as 8 core and 16 core to have pre-shaped earhooks, or straight?

I've only had a taste of pre-shaped earhooks so far, being with the stock KZ cables and some other 4 core cables I've ordered. I'm looking at getting a 8 or 16 core balanced cable soon and wondering whether to do straight or pre-shaped. Most of the commonly recommended 8/16 core cables here (KB Ear, Tripowin) seem to be straight.

May 6, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #4,190 of 9,305
I know my testing has opened my eyes. And the only way I’m buying cables anymore is if I test them myself or rebuild them myself. It’s just too easy to fake them.

Have you guys ever wondered why 90% of these cables have GLUED ON plugs? It’s because anyone would be able to simply unscrew the 3.5mm plug and see everything right there as plain as day (fake or not). So, glue the plugs closed so they can’t see what’s under the hood, so all they’ll worry about is how pretty all those braided wires look.

And you hit the nail on the head with the unskilled labor. That was my point - I am VERY skilled, and even building a true 8-core wire was a stretch for my skills. And I wasn’t even doing mmcx or 2-pin! All I was doing was cutting off the 2-pin ends, and soldering 2.5mm plugs in their place to make a full size headphone cable). The 2.5mm plugs I used have 10xs the soldering surface area than a mmcx or 2-pin plug.

So if I had that much difficulty (when I am not only highly skilled but I also had 10xs more room to work with) then there is no way on earth I believe that there’s any more than a few wires connected to 90% these 8 and 16-core IEM cables.

Sure, a manufacturer might build a real 16-core IEM cable for ad photos, or to send to a reviewer. But the ones they’re mass producing for general sale in their factory and selling for $24 are gonna be fake, and I’m willing to bet $100 cash on that belief. I hope someone takes me up on the bet and proved me wrong.

I think the only hope of a true 16-core IEM cable is a hand built cable from a small specialized boutique builder. And I’d expect to pay $250+ for it. Plus I’d want photographic proof taken during cable construction before I placed an order. And a boutique cable builder would be willing to do that.

The point is to look at buying an 8 or 16-core IEM cables for the looks. It’s a fashion accessory. Some of the 8-core cables might be real. But 99% of the 16-core cables will be fake.

In the future, if I’m buying a pre-made cable I’m going to stick with 4-core cables. Why? Because 4 core cables are impossible to connect any less than 4 cores (L+, L-, R+, R-). You can’t fake a 4 core cable and have it still be a functional cable.

Really interesting.

I wonder if you or anyone has recommendations for a real 8-core Chi-fi cable in that case?

May 6, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #4,191 of 9,305
Really interesting.

I wonder if you or anyone has recommendations for a real 8-core Chi-fi cable in that case?

That’s actually outdated information.

I acquired numerous cables from different manufacturers, and tore them down. All of my results were published in this thread, but the short answer is that most good quality 8 and 16 core cables are legit.

One of the big exceptions was the TRN 6 and 8 core bi-colored cables. They were found to have “fake” wires that didn’t connect to anything.

May 6, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #4,192 of 9,305
That’s actually outdated information.

I acquired numerous cables from different manufacturers, and tore them down. All of my results were published in this thread, but the short answer is that most good quality 8 and 16 core cables are legit.

One of the big exceptions was the TRN 6 and 8 core bi-colored cables. They were found to have “fake” wires that didn’t connect to anything.

Sorry I should have read through the thread, thanks. In that case did you tear down the Tripowin Kovie 16 core? I've got one on the way...

May 6, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #4,193 of 9,305
Sorry I should have read through the thread, thanks. In that case did you tear down the Tripowin Kovie 16 core? I've got one on the way...

Unfortunately, I do not have any Tripowin cables.

@hakuzen also tests cables. He has even more expertise than me, because he owns many more cables and maintains a large budget cable database.

Perhaps he has tested the Tripowin cables and can comment?

May 6, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #4,194 of 9,305
Are you referring to the Tripowin Zonie cable? I currently have one; in QDC 2 pin, 2.5mm balanced plug; on my KZ ZS10 PRO; and it sounds and looks spectacular. The weave is tight (looks like an 8 core, but is definitely 16 core in weight). It falls easily from a wrapped/coiled position and doesn't tangle up. It sounds and feels a step up from my previous cable (JCally 8 core, 2.5mm balanced).

May 6, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #4,195 of 9,305
I received a Kinboofi 4 core alloy on Monday, ~$60 at the Aliexpress anniversary sale. The problem is that I ordered a 4.4mm cable and received a 2.5mm one. I started a dispute with the seller and so far it is going nowhere. I want to return the cable because I have no use for it but don't want to pay one cent in shipping charge as they admitted to a warehouse mistake. All they offer me so far is $8 discount. Am I asking for too much? I guess I have been spoiled by Amazon return policy but when it's not my fault, I feel like I should not be penalized more than not having the product I paid for on time...

May 6, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #4,196 of 9,305
Are you referring to the Tripowin Zonie cable? I currently have one; in QDC 2 pin, 2.5mm balanced plug; on my KZ ZS10 PRO; and it sounds and looks spectacular. The weave is tight (looks like an 8 core, but is definitely 16 core in weight). It falls easily from a wrapped/coiled position and doesn't tangle up. It sounds and feels a step up from my previous cable (JCally 8 core, 2.5mm balanced).

Sorry, I don't know where 'Kozie' came from.... yes I meant Zonie!

Hopefully it's soldered onto the plug correctly. Seems only TRN were the ones that weren't soldering all the cores so fingers crossed

May 6, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #4,197 of 9,305
Sorry, I don't know where 'Kozie' came from.... yes I meant Zonie!

Hopefully it's soldered onto the plug correctly. Seems only TRN were the ones that weren't soldering all the cores so fingers crossed
The one I've got is top quality. Nice, smooth details; bass is killer. I highly rec this cable. Hope you enjoy when you get it.

May 6, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #4,198 of 9,305
The one I've got is top quality. Nice, smooth details; bass is killer. I highly rec this cable. Hope you enjoy when you get it.

Looking forward to it.

I wonder if anyone can recommend any other 2.5mm balanced 8 or 16 core cables for KZ type-C style pins (ZS10 Pro)? I'm not looking to spend more than $25.

May 7, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #4,199 of 9,305
I received a Kinboofi 4 core alloy on Monday, ~$60 at the Aliexpress anniversary sale. The problem is that I ordered a 4.4mm cable and received a 2.5mm one. I started a dispute with the seller and so far it is going nowhere. I want to return the cable because I have no use for it but don't want to pay one cent in shipping charge as they admitted to a warehouse mistake. All they offer me so far is $8 discount. Am I asking for too much? I guess I have been spoiled by Amazon return policy but when it's not my fault, I feel like I should not be penalized more than not having the product I paid for on time...
I think your demand is absolutely reasonable. Wait till AliExpress intervenes and it should be sorted out.

May 7, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #4,200 of 9,305

You need to create a dispute case, and Aliexpress will step in and resolve the problem.

Make sure you take photos and present careful and clear evidence. Draw arrows or circles around the important things in the photo to make it idiot proof (ie the plug). English is not their primary language, so keep your words and sentences simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back