Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Feb 10, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #3,976 of 9,223
Hmm that is a good question I would assume the 4 core version of the 175 cable should be very similar to the SC4. I suppose if you want maximum stage go for the electro acousti 4 core. If you want just a bit more impact in the bass end go for the SC4. Both should be very comparable. The ISN SC4 has no ear guides at all. It will come down to what you prefer in the looks.

The bigger problem right now is what is happening in China. Government shut down big sectors of business and there is a tentative prolonging of hold on all business till Feb. 18th or so. Shipping could be very slow.

Feb 11, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #3,977 of 9,223
So I am trying out the ISN S4 cable on the FDX1. @taropaste I think you will be happy with this pairing. It sounds great using this cable. While the detail and stage is not exactly the ISN SC4. These comes fairly close for the price it is a good value. https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-s4.html

Just for grins I tried a few other cables the ISN S8 is also a good pairing but with slightly less resolution vs the S4. I think the S8 for $32 is a good deal and sounds fairly close the the S-16 but not as bulky. Even though the S4 has less cores it is made of a higher end copper so they cost accordingly. I think either the S8 or the S4 depending on how much your willing to spend. Either way you will be happy with the results. ISN S8 https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-s8.html

A bit of an insider dig on the ISN S8. ISN thinks highly of this cable. I was told by the designers they like this cable over their 16 core varieties. Cost cheaper too. It was the reason why they included it on their H40. Oh I forgot to mention the S4 has ear guides but it isn't stiff. The S8 does not.

I also tried Electro acousti $40 hybrid cable. Nope.. It sounds a lot like the stock cable. Go with the ones I mentioned.
DSC06962.JPG

Wow! Ok...looks like can't go wrong with ISN! If you had to choose between H16, S16, and S4 which would you prefer? I'll probably end up going with S4 due to ergonomics but I'm wondering what the sonic differences are in your opinion?

Feb 11, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #3,978 of 9,223
S4 is a bit more expensive from the 16 models. The H16 and S16 are bulky so if you want to keep your cable on the light side not to mention out of the 3 the S4 will put out the best detail so that might be the way to go and the cleanest sound as well. The other 2 gives a fuller body of sound overall. Details are good but not as precise as the S4. They sound good on the FDX1 as well but if you can put up the extra cash for the S4. That is the way to go with the FDX1.

Feb 11, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #3,979 of 9,223
@Dsnuts do you think that for the ISN H40, the S4 cable is worth the price difference from a Kinboofi 8 core? I was able to order it for only 20€
https://a.aliexpress.com/_sotOr1
But I am waiting for the seller to send it, and was considering cancelling the order and buy the S4 from Penon. Thanks in advance

Feb 11, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #3,980 of 9,223
I like that Kinboofi cable a lot. It is one of the better bang for buck cables available on the express. I do think the S4 is of a better quality but I wouldn't cancel your order I think you will be happy with that kinboofi cable. That cable is substantial. I have not tried it on the H40 but I can tonight. Will let you know how that pairing is.

Feb 11, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #3,981 of 9,223
I like that Kinboofi cable a lot. It is one of the better bang for buck cables available on the express. I do think the S4 is of a better quality but I wouldn't cancel your order I think you will be happy with that kinboofi cable. That cable is substantial. I have not tried it on the H40 but I can tonight. Will let you know how that pairing is.
Thank you! Looking forward for your feedback!

Feb 11, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #3,983 of 9,223
Thank you! Looking forward for your feedback!

I went from the ISN S8 which is the stock cable to the Kinboofi cable back n forth. What I noticed was the expansion of stage. A slight increase in fullness but it is due to that expansion in stage. Both cables give very similar profile on the sonics but the Kinboofi cable expands the sound which is what you want in an upgraded cable. It sounds good on the H40. I think you will like it. I purposefully used my pig tail adapter on the Kinboofi as it was a 2.5mm balanced cable. Just to compare single ended vs single ended. You did good in getting this cable.

I need to buy a replacement cable for my Tin HiFi P1 so I took a look at AliExpress and was overwhelmed at the options. I did find this, which looks good: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000352771372.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.15902e0eGf3kUa

Should I just go with that, or are there better options?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Not familiar with the P1. What part of the sound would you like to enhance or would like to improve upon the sound. If you want it a bit more detailed I would go for a silver coated variety of cable. If you want it more warmer sounding maybe increase in bass try a pure copper variety. I have no idea how the balancing on the P1 is so if you can tell us what you would like to improve on it I can give you some pointers.

Feb 12, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #3,984 of 9,223
I went from the ISN S8 which is the stock cable to the Kinboofi cable back n forth. What I noticed was the expansion of stage. A slight increase in fullness but it is due to that expansion in stage. Both cables give very similar profile on the sonics but the Kinboofi cable expands the sound which is what you want in an upgraded cable. It sounds good on the H40. I think you will like it. I purposefully used my pig tail adapter on the Kinboofi as it was a 2.5mm balanced cable. Just to compare single ended vs single ended. You did good in getting this cable.
Thank you for testing this! My S8 is a 3.5 unbalanced and the Kinboofi I bought is a 2.5 balanced. I can use with the Fiio BTR5 and it’s more powerful 2.5 balanced port. Maybe this will also help to increase the difference between the cables. What is maybe strange it that, once again, the 4 core version, in this case of the Kinboofi cable, is more expensive than the 8 core. Maybe the materials are better quality, as in the ISN 4 core cable.

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #3,985 of 9,223
Not familiar with the P1. What part of the sound would you like to enhance or would like to improve upon the sound. If you want it a bit more detailed I would go for a silver coated variety of cable. If you want it more warmer sounding maybe increase in bass try a pure copper variety. I have no idea how the balancing on the P1 is so if you can tell us what you would like to improve on it I can give you some pointers.

Thanks for your reply.
I need a balanced cable as neutral as possible. P1 will be paired to FiiO Q5s for classical listening.

Is this balanced?
£14.26 71%OFF | KBEAR 16 core Silver plated Cable 2.5/3.5/4.4mm Upgrade Cable With MMCX/2pin/QDC/TFZ Connector with F1 KB06 HI7 ZSX BLON BL03 https://a.aliexpress.com/_c3xk3t

By the way... are there shipping delays from China due to Coronavirus?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #3,986 of 9,223
Thanks for your reply.
I need a balanced cable as neutral as possible. P1 will be paired to FiiO Q5s for classical listening.

Is this balanced?
£14.26 71%OFF | KBEAR 16 core Silver plated Cable 2.5/3.5/4.4mm Upgrade Cable With MMCX/2pin/QDC/TFZ Connector with F1 KB06 HI7 ZSX BLON BL03 https://a.aliexpress.com/_c3xk3t

By the way... are there shipping delays from China due to Coronavirus?

Unfortunatley due to the virus I read all shipping has been delayed till the 29th of Feb out of Aliexpress. Shipping right now is very sketchy. That cable you linked to should be fine as it is basically the same cable I reviewed from NiceHCK called the S-16. They all come from the same OEM that makes them cables and those should do you just fine. Now it is a matter of if your gonna get your cable in a timely manor. Timing is a bit off due to what is happening right now.

Feb 12, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #3,987 of 9,223
I bought a Tripowin 16 core Zonie SPC cable with a 2.5mm balanced plug, and QDC connectors, to use with my ZS10 PRO. It arrived yesterday from Aliexpress. Ordered on 01/29/20. Came from Singapore in 2 weeks, so I guess no virus issues. Bought this to replace the JCally 8 core I was using. That cable is really good, but I wanted to see if this Zonie would add anything to the already sweet sounding combo I already had. Burning the Zonie in now, but I can already tell it's a couple steps up from the JCally I was using. I'll post more impressions in a few days as I get more familiar with my new cable. In the meantime, I'm loving the increased detail I'm hearing with the Zonie

Feb 13, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #3,989 of 9,223
I bought a Tripowin 16 core Zonie SPC cable with a 2.5mm balanced plug, and QDC connectors, to use with my ZS10 PRO. It arrived yesterday from Aliexpress. Ordered on 01/29/20. Came from Singapore in 2 weeks, so I guess no virus issues. Bought this to replace the JCally 8 core I was using. That cable is really good, but I wanted to see if this Zonie would add anything to the already sweet sounding combo I already had. Burning the Zonie in now, but I can already tell it's a couple steps up from the JCally I was using. I'll post more impressions in a few days as I get more familiar with my new cable. In the meantime, I'm loving the increased detail I'm hearing with the Zonie

Great cable. Are you bought it from DD-Audio Store?

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #3,990 of 9,223

Users who are viewing this thread

Back