Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Feb 4, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #3,961 of 9,182
Hello everyone

I've been bitten by the upgrade bug, after years of being happy with my Sennheiser IE 80s, I upgraded to the Shure 846 back December, soon after I bought customer sleeves for them as I wanted to experience what a custom fit would feel like. The one drawback is that the stock cables don't work too well with them due to the memory wire and now I'm in the market for new cables.

I'm highly interested in getting one of those cables with the swappable terminals ends, but I also want to try a "pure silver" cable but I know next to nothing about ordering from aliexpress.

The mee audio cable I've seen here ( https://www.meeaudio.com/CMB-BAL-SET ) but there's also this cable I saw mentioned at the start of this thread has my interest, ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32909328427.html ) but I wanted to gauge other users opinions.

Feb 6, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #3,962 of 9,182
Hello everyone

I've been bitten by the upgrade bug, after years of being happy with my Sennheiser IE 80s, I upgraded to the Shure 846 back December, soon after I bought customer sleeves for them as I wanted to experience what a custom fit would feel like. The one drawback is that the stock cables don't work too well with them due to the memory wire and now I'm in the market for new cables.

I'm highly interested in getting one of those cables with the swappable terminals ends, but I also want to try a "pure silver" cable but I know next to nothing about ordering from aliexpress.

The mee audio cable I've seen here ( https://www.meeaudio.com/CMB-BAL-SET ) but there's also this cable I saw mentioned at the start of this thread has my interest, ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32909328427.html ) but I wanted to gauge other users opinions.

Sorry for the late reply. So the meeaudio cable is just so so. The advantage there is that you get all those adapters. The 2nd one is not a great deal either since it cost 3X as much. The Shure 846 being all BAs seems it will benefit from some silver content for the cable. Several cables comes to mind but one I can recommend is this one. https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-sc4.html

Is a pure silver cable with crystal copper inlay. I am about to post my review of these. This cable I can guarantee will be a better option vs the Meeaudio one and should be comparable to that 2nd cable you linked if not better. You can choose which termination you need. I mostly go 2.5mm balanced and use a pig tail adapter to go single ended if need be. Works out easy that way. You can look into the Electro acousti line of cables on aliexpress as well. Those cables of the highest quality for the money which you can choose which termination you want too. If being able to switch the termination is crucial for you. https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-sc4.html This is a very nice cable that you can buy extra adaptors for. Gives you an option to get a 2.5mm or 4.4mm extra adaptor for $20 more. I have this cable on my DK2001 and is an excellent quality cable for the money.

Feb 6, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #3,964 of 9,182
Finally picked up my first cable secondhand for around $30! It's by a local maker but it seemed like the perfect comparison to my stock cable.

My stock cable is the Sony OFC SPC cable so I assume around 4N. This cable is a 7n OCC SPC Type 2 Litz by Deez Audio who apparently started making cheaper options in the last year. The all copper, SPC, and hybrid-copper-SPC 4 core all retail for $50. He also made a 8 core version and calls both variants the "Hygieia Classic" cable. He released the Hygieia Mk2 which only comes in 4 core but is a lot thicker and he claims that they keep the same sound signature as the classics but ups everything else.

Impressions: I chose the IER-M7 over the M9 for price being the biggest reason followed by the fact that I actually preferred the fuller lower mids and bass presentation. I did admit that the M9 had better layering for highs and better female vocals. I honestly wasn't expecting a difference since it isn't a particularly pricy cable and having the same material as stock. Lo and behold, the M7 suddenly has more sparkle, even clearer imaging, more forward vocals, tighter bass, and a lot more dynamics. I'd say it still retains its body relative to the M9 but I want to return to the store to do a proper side-by-side. Suddenly I can no longer pair the M7 with my iPhone 6s as the M7 as the combo is, dare I say it, too bright for me? Another major reason I picked the M7 was since I don't have a proper DAP that could stream, I would use it with my smartphone for on the go and I needed an IEM that could compensate for the thin sounding iPhone. With the iFi Micro iDSD, the M7 is now singing great and I am sated for now cable wise. My goal now is to pick either the Hiby R5, iBasso DX160, or a FiiO BTR5 to use with my phone. After that, I will foray the local cable scene and once I find the best one locally, I'll compare it to the best that aliexpress has to offer!

I still don't believe all upgrade cables are actually upgrades and I am still quite skeptical overall. I, however, cannot deny my surprise after the multiple test switching I did.

Here are some photos compared to the Sony stock cable!

IMG_8370.JPG

IMG_8363.JPG
IMG_8361 2.JPG

IMG_8356.jpg
IMG_8357.jpg
IMG_8358.jpg

Feb 9, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #3,968 of 9,182
Feb 10, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #3,969 of 9,182
We are talking about different levels of cables here. Best answer to that would be if you want a more technical FDX1 or a more fuller bodied sounding FDX1. ISN SC4 is mostly pure silver so it brings more detail with even better imaging. Let me put it this way. If you had the S-16 on you will be able to tell the increase in resolution when you swap out to the SC4. Not so much the other way around. Though both cables sound great on the FDX1 that pure silver and crystal copper of the SC4 costs $109 for a reason.

Go with what you can afford both will be upgraded cables from the stock. The SC4 adds a bit of extra in the way of cleaner sound, blacker space, wider stage, better details. S-16 does that but not quite like the SC4. I was very surprised the SC4 hangs with cable 175 from electro acousti and those cables cost $180.

Feb 10, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #3,970 of 9,182
@Dsnuts I'm considering the S16 or H16 cable for my FDX1 but I'm a bit concerned about the weight and thickness of the cables. I have small ears and the FDX1 are already pretty heavy - with the stock cable and Sedna light tips, the fit is acceptable but not super secure. I'm worried that if I get the S16/H16, the phones won't stay in my ears. Do you have any suggestions for a thinner/lighter cable (compared to the ISN cables) that would synergize well with the FDX1? Thanks for your help!

Feb 10, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #3,971 of 9,182
You try using them over the ears instead of straight down. That is how I use them. No concerns for cables then. I can check a few different cables for you later one tonight. I have a few in mind. I do like the SPC variety of cables for them so I can try a few others.
1581370622343.png

I can tell you right now though that ISN SC4 cable I reviewed last night sounds magical on the FDX1. I know this cable is a bit spendy but man does it sound good on the FDX1.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #3,972 of 9,182
You try using them over the ears instead of straight down. That is how I use them. No concerns for cables then. I can check a few different cables for you later one tonight. I have a few in mind. I do like the SPC variety of cables for them so I can try a few others.1581370622343.png
I can tell you right now though that ISN SC4 cable I reviewed last night sounds magical on the FDX1. I know this cable is a bit spendy but man does it sound good on the FDX1.

Yes, I wear them over my ears as well which is definitely better. But sometimes I have trouble with thicker or stiffer cables at the top part of my ear (where the space is narrowest). SC4 is not as heavy or thick as S16/H16? If so, I will consider it. In any case, I look forward to any other suggestions you might have once you've had a chance to try some other cables. Truly appreciate your help!

Feb 10, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #3,973 of 9,182
SC4 is light has no ear guides which is what I prefer. Excellent ergonomics. Supple and soft too. No chord noise but the stuff is premium grade. Pure silver with Crystal copper inlay inbetween. Sonically shows it's a higher end cable.

The other one I want to try that is thinner is the ISN S4 which is a silver coated OCC copper cable.

I currently have this cable on my Tri I3 and sound great on that phone but will try it on the FDX1 when I get a chance tonight. Will let you know. 1581373388779.png

Feb 10, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #3,974 of 9,182
So I am trying out the ISN S4 cable on the FDX1. @taropaste I think you will be happy with this pairing. It sounds great using this cable. While the detail and stage is not exactly the ISN SC4. These comes fairly close for the price it is a good value. https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-s4.html

Just for grins I tried a few other cables the ISN S8 is also a good pairing but with slightly less resolution vs the S4. I think the S8 for $32 is a good deal and sounds fairly close the the S-16 but not as bulky. Even though the S4 has less cores it is made of a higher end copper so they cost accordingly. I think either the S8 or the S4 depending on how much your willing to spend. Either way you will be happy with the results. ISN S8 https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-s8.html

A bit of an insider dig on the ISN S8. ISN thinks highly of this cable. I was told by the designers they like this cable over their 16 core varieties. Cost cheaper too. It was the reason why they included it on their H40. Oh I forgot to mention the S4 has ear guides but it isn't stiff. The S8 does not.

I also tried Electro acousti $40 hybrid cable. Nope.. It sounds a lot like the stock cable. Go with the ones I mentioned.
DSC06962.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #3,975 of 9,182
We are talking about different levels of cables here. Best answer to that would be if you want a more technical FDX1 or a more fuller bodied sounding FDX1. ISN SC4 is mostly pure silver so it brings more detail with even better imaging. Let me put it this way. If you had the S-16 on you will be able to tell the increase in resolution when you swap out to the SC4. Not so much the other way around. Though both cables sound great on the FDX1 that pure silver and crystal copper of the SC4 costs $109 for a reason.

Go with what you can afford both will be upgraded cables from the stock. The SC4 adds a bit of extra in the way of cleaner sound, blacker space, wider stage, better details. S-16 does that but not quite like the SC4. I was very surprised the SC4 hangs with cable 175 from electro acousti and those cables cost $180.
Thanks for this! Which one would you recommend between sc4 and the 175 cable with less cores? Because I use this iem with my phone and they are both at a similar price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back