Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Dec 11, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #3,571 of 9,211
I think cablephilia is more for guys that own multiple types of earphones. Makes no sense to get a bunch of cables if you own only a handfull. This being said we most definitely want to maximize the phones we do have. I bought the two types 175 and 177 knowing I will end up using both for one type of sound or the other.

Oh another aspect of pure silver I have to mention here. I have a good friend who makes custom cables and mostly in pure silver for some folks here at headfi. Guy knows his sound let me put it this way. I know cable burn in is a funny topic but he was telling me cable burn in is real. Especially for silver. I do notice my Solaris sounding actually smoother with some use with my 175 cable after a day of use. So I don't want to start the heated burn in topic here.

If you guys end up getting a pure silver variety of cables. It is a good idea to let them play music through them at least overnight before really listening using the cable. Even if you don't believe in cable burn.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #3,572 of 9,211
@hakuzen do you know a good USB A to Micro USB cable ??? want it to connect my laptop to my portable DAC/AMP

Thanks in advance.
for digital audio signals, i only consider speed and most usual usb cables give you enough speed for common formats (only if you go with DSD high-res large files, you might need faster usb cables). EMI noise is associated with speed as well, because it can provoke more errors, re-transmission, and so slowness. my usb cables do also get noise from some low quality power supplies of sources.
my recommendations are:
https://www.ghentaudio.com/usb/usb-jssg360.html
Ghentaudio Teflon Silver-Plated Star Quad (4 x 24awg) Audio Cable, with special JSSG360 dual-shielding EMI protection.
choose your terminations and length (keep it the shortest you can).
or this:
https://www.ghentaudio.com/usb/u05.html
same wire and plugs, cheaper, but less EMI/RFI protection than the previous one. most of mines are these.

Support your Local...

Just want to share.... was trying local cable, VERUS Ref2 pair to SOLARIS and DX221Mk2.
The cable is 2 strand 25 AWG UP-OCC LITZ SPC 3.5 TRS. The cable main highlight is transparent... compare to Slitz 3.5(Solaris Original Cable), is that the VERUS Ref 2 more emphasize on Mid Bass and Vocal (more Coherent side). while SLitz better in High especially upper high (wide soundstage, Spark & clarity).

Conductivity : 315...316...315... 1,034 mOhm.
Yeah, some issued with the R-, will asked the local seller to fixed it
With the price < USD 100.

edit : based on the seller info, it was 25 AWG UP-OCC LITZ SPC... my bad..

edit 2 : additional ALO Super Litz 3.5 SE conductivity : 154.3...199,9...148...187,1 mOhm
nice measurements, thanks! now you own a lot of cables and super accurate measurements, i could add them to the database if you agree when i get some time for it.

My new 175 stunning looking.
I have no idea what cable this one is. But it looks damn nice. Gonna test em out.
the 175 has a wow factor to it. Just crazy good sound from this cable. I see why these have become the favorite on this thread. Stage sounds wider to me using my Solaris. it is more reference sounding meaning it leans more toward the detail aspect of the tuning more so than any other cable I have tried thus far on it. Probably the silver portion of the cable having more influence here. The widest stage I have heard yet using any of my other cables. I havent had too much time using the cables but I am glad I finally got on the 175 wagon. Most definitely worth the money paid for them.

The 177 from the brief listen I got in using my H40. Oh by the way. ISN which is a cable maker which sells out of penonaudio.com has a new iem in the market. Their first actually. Is an outstanding hybrid iem which I can whole heartedly recommend to headfiers for the $195 price point. I wrote a review for them here

Back to the 177. They are more a UPOCC copper variety mxed with another type of copper hybid infused with some silver in it. Has more copper flavor of sound vs the 175. Adds more depth to the sound vs a wider stage like the 175. I feel this cable is the yin to the 175s yang. Dynamics seems more enhanced with this cable due to the slighter depth enhancement. Again I havent tried this or the 175 for too long. Will report back with more thoughts once I get used to how they mesh with my iems. I have the 177 with my Andromeda S and it has never sounded deeper actually which adds to the immersion factor on that phone.
10394748_thumb.jpg
Since everyone knows about 175 cable from EA being the more balanced in all good things higher end cable wise. I figure I would add a bit of what I figured out about this one. Cable 177, This is using 3 main ingrediants. Silver/UPOCC/Copper all braided and it is only available in 8 cores. These are cheaper than the 175 cables by about $20 probably due to being more copper than silver in the mix. As I mentioned before the cables is more influenced in the copper aspect of sound more so than silver. Where I found these to be matched up really well is with my Zeus. Zeus sound signature leans more toward analytical than musical meaning it has exacting details in the sonic qualitites and has amazing imagery. The only issue I have with them is that they can sound a bit bright at times with some recordings. I have been trying all sorts of cables on them. Just when I think I find the one. I get a new copper cable that does one better. That is the 177.

The cable here matches up with more neutal/ analytical tunings due to the cable adding a bit more fullness and depth to the sound. Music has more body to the sound using this cable. No detraction from the imaging or detail over all but adds that nice bit of fullness and that makes the Zeus sound amazing.

So again synergy with cable pairing and sound signatures is key to getting the best out of cables. Especially when your spending a lot to try them. I haven't tried the 175 cable I got on my Zeus but I don't think that would make for a good match with it due to the Zeus being hyper detailed already is my point. The 177 however is a perfect match for it. Smooths out the sonics a touch while adding some body to the sound. This cable was made for earphones like the Zeus.
great pics and impressions, thanks!
cable 177 cores consist of a twisted mix of 5 frozen up-occ copper litz threads with 7 frozen up-occ silver plated litz threads. you can see the mix in your macro photos.
it's my favorite copper+spc hybrid cable. i love it.
175 is my favorite copper+silver hybrid cable. i prefer it to 177 because of the high end exclusively.
it's very interesting your soundstage comparison: 175 wider, 177 deeper. do you feel this for all frequencies? i focused highs, and felt deeper stage in 175 for these frequencies. i ought to do more complete AB to confirm it and to check lows stage from both.
i also ought to compare 177 and 210 (up-occ copper+silver litz alloy), in the battle of top silver/spc + copper cables.
another advantage of 177 and 210 hybrids is that the materials are mixed into each core. good for 4 cores single-ended cables.

Can someone recommend a good mmcx 2.5mm balanced short cable? Thank you!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low...ck-cable-thread.891911/page-237#post-15352360

Finally got my mmcx/3,5 adapters! from aliexpress of course with no custom trouble..
Thanks to Hakuzen for showing me this alternativ e to the usual crap adapters yopu get i will throw my crap adapter with pleasure in the toilet today :wink:

And a absoluty nonsense but awesome looking 8core silver plated usb cable :wink:

IMG_20191210_115211_HDR.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!Oh please beware of SUPERBY Proxy Service from China!!!!!!!! I had a loooooooooot of trouble and everything is lost now.
Those Liars have cost me 2 times shipping and 3 months time ...and 2x those adapters that are now destroyed... ;( ..and never stop lying to me thats whats so sad.

first parcel was not handles by customs and on the second did they write 228euros value on it and i should pay 70 euros for the 28 euro adapters inside
The nice thing.. today they told me "oh sorry the parcel will be disposed after 4 weeks, sorry".. well its fun that they never mentioned this.

The fun fact. i told dhl express personally to send it back.. and Superbuy told dhl afterwards to dispose of it and lie to me now..
So NEVER EVER use this service !! cost me 70 euros to know this... i am so stupid not to order directly from taobao ;(
yea, the look of your usb cable pairs nice with 174.

about your superbuy issues, i'm so sad about your experience.
i've received 12 packages from superbuy (and used other agents in the past, like mistertao -retired- or bhiner). i used from china post, hong kong post, SF (netherlands post), dhl ecommerce (economic line), to superbuy tax-free line, and got zero issues. i got custom tax issues with bhiner agent, using ems carrier.
the large offer of shipping carriers at superbuy is rarely found at other agents.
but you need some experience to choose the right carrier and declared value (you can set your desired value with most carriers) for your country.
for example, i never choose dhl express, nor any other express carrier, because they always charge custom + administrative taxes here.

Can someone help me with choosing a new cable for my Ikko OH10? I like the cable it came with (what it says about it: "High purity OFC silver-plated cable, both high frequency extension and low frequency strength").
Since the Ikko are more of a fun V shaped IEM, I'm looking for something more neutral without losing too much of the bass but that could enhanced the mids a little. I'm confused with all the cable on AE (and all the differences between Copper, Silver, Hybrid etc.)
This is some of the cables I found but not sure if they will get me what I'm looking for:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...5.0&pvid=b6bae30e-588c-4e41-b21f-3611316a4581
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32956046016.html?spm=a2g0o.placeorder.0.0.7abc321eTnVa4p&mp=1
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32930480282.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.48ec3c007LUFUz&dp=14eb2d593a1685d4b3f80348e46da2f7&af=240682&cv=47843&afref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.head-fi.org%2Fthreads%2Flow-end-cheap-generic-otherwise-bang-for-buck-cable-thread.891911%2Fpage-151&mall_affr=pr3&dp=14eb2d593a1685d4b3f80348e46da2f7&af=240682&cv=47843&afref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.head-fi.org%2Fthreads%2Flow-end-cheap-generic-otherwise-bang-for-buck-cable-thread.891911%2Fpage-151&mall_affr=pr3&aff_platform=aaf&cpt=1575955585837&sk=VnYZvQVf&aff_trace_key=fea4da9fd79c44bbb4a8412b94cc7d29-1575955585837-05137-VnYZvQVf&terminal_id=d0c39a92418f49bda74b119d270d66e0

If you have other recommendations, feel free to send it to me. I would want to stay under $30.
Thank you very much for your help.
cable 196?

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #3,573 of 9,211
@hakuzen well this can happen ..
You would not give me the advice to use it if it is crap.
yeah ems and dhl is like sending it with morons. i can confirm this now :wink:) and i stick to aliexpress for further stuff. wich is actually not needed any more now..

Oh i ordered the new cable from Acousti as mentioned and it will be interesting how this behaves in contrast to 174 and 175. Should be here before christmas.
( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000413732979.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.19.5d3366b0bhNpp7 )

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #3,574 of 9,211
Ya I think ultimately while we post what we hear with the cable changes. I think it comes down to the earphone we try them on. I noticed the sound changes and enhancements aren't uniform to each earphone I try the cables on.

I was using a thicker SPC alloy cable on my Solaris before I tried the 175 on it. The previous cable already gave the Solaris the deepest sound I have heard to date on any cable I have used on it so I kept it on there. With the 175 I did notice more expansion width wise but not as deep sounding. So it sounds more neutral to me.

If I try it on something else like my Andromeda S it might sound deeper than how it sounded on my Solaris for example. Might have to try that actually.

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #3,576 of 9,211
nice measurements, thanks! now you own a lot of cables and super accurate measurements, i could add them to the database if you agree when i get some time for it.

Please do... love to participate in the thread...

just need to up my game a bit... still learning meassuring Cable capacitance

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #3,577 of 9,211
"for example, i never choose dhl express, nor any other express carrier, because they always charge custom + administrative taxes here"

Yes, @hakuzen...100% correct, and same for me here in Canada. Good advice, which I also can vouch for. This should almost be a separate thread.

To all headfiers who buy anything from outside their own country: always check the shipping options (usually shown in the ad on Aliexpress). Always look to see what is offered for shipping. Often there are less expensive options that take longer, but still have tracking. If you absolutely, positively, need your item in the least amount of time possible...then use express/courier shipping (like EMS, DHL, FedEx, UPS, etc.) BUT BE PREPARED TO PAY EXTRA! Most of the time, the "great deal" you thought you got, is wiped out by extra customs fees and carrier fees. So, the great deal becomes a greater expense. I know alot about this...just check my user name.

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #3,578 of 9,211
"for example, i never choose dhl express, nor any other express carrier, because they always charge custom + administrative taxes here"

Yes, @hakuzen...100% correct, and same for me here in Canada. Good advice, which I also can vouch for. This should almost be a separate thread.

To all headfiers who buy anything from outside their own country: always check the shipping options (usually shown in the ad on Aliexpress). Always look to see what is offered for shipping. Often there are less expensive options that take longer, but still have tracking. If you absolutely, positively, need your item in the least amount of time possible...then use express/courier shipping (like EMS, DHL, FedEx, UPS, etc.) BUT BE PREPARED TO PAY EXTRA! Most of the time, the "great deal" you thought you got, is wiped out by extra customs fees and carrier fees. So, the great deal becomes a greater expense. I know alot about this...just check my user name.
Then there is Sweden where the local carrier charges you extra even if you take the cheapest option on aliexpress. There is no escaping customs, vat fee here. :frowning2:

Dec 11, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #3,580 of 9,211
Then there is Sweden where the local carrier charges you extra even if you take the cheapest option on aliexpress. There is no escaping customs, vat fee here. :frowning2:
That's very sad, friend. Now I consider myself fortunate that my purchases on Aliexpress (using the Standard shipping option) never cost any more than what I paid for them online. I get the impression that the cost of living is rather high, there?

Dec 11, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #3,581 of 9,211
That's very sad, friend. Now I consider myself fortunate that my purchases on Aliexpress (using the Standard shipping option) never cost any more than what I paid for them online. I get the impression that the cost of living is rather high, there?
Yeah tax is high and everything else is like 25% more expensive than in the US. Not sure about living cost as I live with my parents (I'm 19 and in college)

Dec 11, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #3,582 of 9,211
Yeah tax is high and everything else is like 25% more expensive than in the US. Not sure about living cost as I live with my parents (I'm 19 and in college)
Damn! Just checked your signature and the gear you have. And only 19, huh? Living at home seems to allow you some extra income to spend on audio gear. How lucky you are.

Dec 11, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #3,583 of 9,211
for digital audio signals, i only consider speed and most usual usb cables give you enough speed for common formats (only if you go with DSD high-res large files, you might need faster usb cables). EMI noise is associated with speed as well, because it can provoke more errors, re-transmission, and so slowness. my usb cables do also get noise from some low quality power supplies of sources.
my recommendations are:
https://www.ghentaudio.com/usb/usb-jssg360.html
Ghentaudio Teflon Silver-Plated Star Quad (4 x 24awg) Audio Cable, with special JSSG360 dual-shielding EMI protection.
choose your terminations and length (keep it the shortest you can).
or this:
https://www.ghentaudio.com/usb/u05.html
same wire and plugs, cheaper, but less EMI/RFI protection than the previous one. most of mines are these.

great pics and impressions, thanks!
cable 177 cores consist of a twisted mix of 5 frozen up-occ copper litz threads with 7 frozen up-occ silver plated litz threads. you can see the mix in your macro photos.
it's my favorite copper+spc hybrid cable. i love it.
175 is my favorite copper+silver hybrid cable. i prefer it to 177 because of the high end exclusively.
it's very interesting your soundstage comparison: 175 wider, 177 deeper. do you feel this for all frequencies? i focused highs, and felt deeper stage in 175 for these frequencies. i ought to do more complete AB to confirm it and to check lows stage from both.
i also ought to compare 177 and 210 (up-occ copper+silver litz alloy), in the battle of top silver/spc + copper cables.
another advantage of 177 and 210 hybrids is that the materials are mixed into each core. good for 4 cores single-ended cables.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low...ck-cable-thread.891911/page-237#post-15352360

yea, the look of your usb cable pairs nice with 174.

about your superbuy issues, i'm so sad about your experience.
i've received 12 packages from superbuy (and used other agents in the past, like mistertao -retired- or bhiner). i used from china post, hong kong post, SF (netherlands post), dhl ecommerce (economic line), to superbuy tax-free line, and got zero issues. i got custom tax issues with bhiner agent, using ems carrier.
the large offer of shipping carriers at superbuy is rarely found at other agents.
but you need some experience to choose the right carrier and declared value (you can set your desired value with most carriers) for your country.
for example, i never choose dhl express, nor any other express carrier, because they always charge custom + administrative taxes here.

cable 196?
Thanks Hakuzen and everyone else for the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Dec 11, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #3,584 of 9,211
@hakuzen well this can happen ..
You would not give me the advice to use it if it is crap.
yeah ems and dhl is like sending it with morons. i can confirm this now :wink:) and i stick to aliexpress for further stuff. wich is actually not needed any more now..

Oh i ordered the new cable from Acousti as mentioned and it will be interesting how this behaves in contrast to 174 and 175. Should be here before christmas.
( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000413732979.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.19.5d3366b0bhNpp7 )
yea, very curious about that new cable and its comparison to 174 and 175, looking forward to it!

Ya I think ultimately while we post what we hear with the cable changes. I think it comes down to the earphone we try them on. I noticed the sound changes and enhancements aren't uniform to each earphone I try the cables on.

I was using a thicker SPC alloy cable on my Solaris before I tried the 175 on it. The previous cable already gave the Solaris the deepest sound I have heard to date on any cable I have used on it so I kept it on there. With the 175 I did notice more expansion width wise but not as deep sounding. So it sounds more neutral to me.

If I try it on something else like my Andromeda S it might sound deeper than how it sounded on my Solaris for example. Might have to try that actually.
you are right, iem-cable sinergy should be considered as essential. i use to try the cables with moondrop blessing, because it is my most resolving iem, and with hifiman ananda, my best headphones, but i should test them using different phones to get a better overall idea of the cable.

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #3,585 of 9,211
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back