Loud, bass heavy, crisp sound quality, comfortable for extended periods overear and dont leak sound
Apr 6, 2011 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

rob1994

New Head-Fier
Hey first post here,
Been looking for a new pair of over ear headphones, i currently have the beats by dre tours, which i personally think sound great (dw i do know my music, but i like the sound they give) but these earphones tend to fall out easily and are not comfy. I am looking for something with similar or better sound. These are my listening preferences: Loud, bass heavy - a punchy bass not rumbling (DNB), crisp sound quality, comfortable for extended periods, overear, also i would  want the headphones to be closed so as to give a close to ear effect and for use on the train etc - like the tours. i have looked at: Sennheiser HD25-1 II, Sony MDR XB700, Sennheiser 212 Pro, Allen and Heath Xone XD53, Beats studios. please can you recommend any others that fit these categories or say the best ones from the ones i have looked at. 
Long and the short I want the beats tours ON my ears!
thanks a lot
RCalcroft
P.S dont be afraid to talk details of the headphones eg. frequency or impedance etc
P.P.S    Sub £300/$350 prices

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 24
check these out
http://www.headfonia.com/ultra-portable-shootout-px100-px200-portapro-k404-v-jays-tracks-oldskool-and-hd238/
and
http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/

personally I have portapros, v-jays, and m50's...m50's might work well for you if you're ok with the size.  the hd25's are supposed to be great.

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 24
Hi, cheers for the feedback, I am looking at the Denon ahd1100 because people say they have good bass. What do you think of them. Also anyone had any experience of the hd25-1 s cos I have heard a lot of good things about them
Cheers

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 24
Hi, cheers for the feedback, I am looking at the Denon ahd1100 because people say they have good bass. What do you think of them. Also anyone had any experience of the hd25-1 s cos I have heard a lot of good things about them
Cheers

The HD-25's are not at all bass heavy, they are more balanced and what you would call "bass light" consequently. SUpposedly, the Sony MDR-XB series possess prertty high leakage at loud volumes, although they are both comfortable and bass heavy. Portapro's are definitely off coz they leak loads and are not necesarily bass heavy.
Some options you could look at inclide:

Ultrasone HFI-580 or 680 or 780
Alienware OZMA models
Phiaton PS400
B&W P5
Audio Technia ES700
Sennhesier HD202, HD280, HD448, PX200 II
ATH-M50 (this one especially)

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #7 of 24
I have no experience with any of the headphones mentioned in this thread except the M-50s, so I can't offer any comparisons.  But I think the M-50s do a fine job of covering the thread title.  The bass isn't ultra tight, but from a sound/dollar stand-point they amaze me.  They're fun.  They rock.

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #8 of 24
I have no experience with any of the headphones mentioned in this thread except the M-50s, so I can't offer any comparisons.  But I think the M-50s do a fine job of covering the thread title.  The bass isn't ultra tight, but from a sound/dollar stand-point they amaze me.  They're fun.  They rock.

sounds great. can u confirm leakage

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #11 of 24
okay had a look of some of them, they look good but what do you think about the denons? would they give a good kick of bass and loud sound?

the ath-m50's are seriously perfecct for that. why look elsewhere, their also welll known and reviewd on head-fi

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
Hey first post here,
Been looking for a new pair of over ear headphones, i currently have the beats by dre tours, which i personally think sound great (dw i do know my music, but i like the sound they give) but these earphones tend to fall out easily and are not comfy. I am looking for something with similar or better sound. These are my listening preferences: Loud, bass heavy - a punchy bass not rumbling (DNB), crisp sound quality, comfortable for extended periods, overear, also i would  want the headphones to be closed so as to give a close to ear effect and for use on the train etc - like the tours. i have looked at: Sennheiser HD25-1 II, Sony MDR XB700, Sennheiser 212 Pro, Allen and Heath Xone XD53, Beats studios. please can you recommend any others that fit these categories or say the best ones from the ones i have looked at. 
Long and the short I want the beats tours ON my ears!
thanks a lot
RCalcroft
P.S dont be afraid to talk details of the headphones eg. frequency or impedance etc
P.P.S    Sub £300/$350 prices

£300 is $500 dollars.  Where are you based and do you have an amp?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/538289/review-hfi-580-vs-pro-900-vs-dt770-pro-80-comparison
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/531691/review-ath-m50-vs-hfi-580-vs-sr-80

I think the best would be Ultrasone HFI 580/DJ1 or the Sony XB700 if you are coming from Beats.

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #14 of 24
According to a post in the 74can shootout...the k181dj has more bass impact than the m50. Would they be a little more perfect for that than the m50?

Quote:
Quote:
okay had a look of some of them, they look good but what do you think about the denons? would they give a good kick of bass and loud sound?

the ath-m50's are seriously perfecct for that. why look elsewhere, their also welll known and reviewd on head-fi

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #15 of 24
Hi guys anyone have any experience of the beer dynamics dt770 ? I hear that they are very good for bass and overall sound

THE BEYERDYNAMICs are full sized phones, so would like dumb and be clumsy for portable usage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back