Lotoo PAW 5000: Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #136 of 889
I wish there was a bit more transparency on how the designer go about designing their product. Most people who do believe in hi-rest tend to stick with 24/96, I personally no longer in the hi-res band and dont purchase music based on that standard but I am curious to know what was the design philosophy of the things I buy.

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #137 of 889
I heard the PAW 5000 today. It has really impressive sound for the price. It is plasticy, has cheap controls, and is a bit laggy/glitchy. In this regard, it is the 'anti-Paw Gold'. I don't like the UI nearly as much. But it really does sound good: very musical. I think that it even sounds a bit more balanced and integrated than the PAW Gold. The PAW Gold does however sound better overall - more dynamic, and more depth and authority.

I only listened for a few minutes because I had just spent a few hours listening to it big brother and I was tired. Also I do not generally spend much time on stuff that I won't ever buy. But color me impressed for what it is.

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #141 of 889
PAW 5000 is a good looking DAP.

+1!  May not present well in pictures, but in person I think it looks great and is certainly has the most impressive build for a DAP I've ever seen/held/owned.

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #145 of 889
Does it sound more detailed? does it have wider soundstage and more gain?

I heard that Calyx M is just slightly behind AK240.

Can PAW Gold match AK240 or even Hugo?

You should move this to the PAW Gold thread. This is the wrong place. I will post some thoughts there in due course. Just not in the mood yet. Still licking my wounds. I want the PAW Gold with gapless.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #146 of 889

When the screen is off, and you press the volume + and - buttons a bit too hard, it skips to the next/previous track. Ughh!

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #147 of 889
Yes, I discovered that. The UI is a bit weird. The switch from the Aztech bling wheel to the plastic rotating wheel is a real step backwards. Navigating files is slow now. You have to scroll all the way up to go back a directory. In my Bands directory, that's a relative nightmare, i.e. to go up to Genres.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #148 of 889
My initial impression with paw 5k was very good in terms of build quality and sound performance.
Of course it is no way to compare with the paw gold because it is not meant to be.
The UI is ok with Linux-ish taste and I do think that nowadays more DAPs coming in a monochrome display to preserve battery power.
Coming from Hidizs AP100, every frequencies are just being better and more lively.

2 big issues that I noticed were the delay when I pause and play the music, and the background noise is quite awful in my FA Heaven VI.
The rest were all good about this DAP considering the price point, even I would say hard to beat in its price range competitor.
I'm on for this DAP :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back