Losing passion of this hobby?
Feb 10, 2007 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

nsjong

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone else?
I know I am for sure.

After I get a iAudio D2 and a decent pair of IEM's, it really looks as though I'm through. Even some of the headphones I promised myself to get, I have backed out. (that includes the HTX7, SJ5, ES7)

I feel that this "hobby" is really taking an impact on my social life and wallet. Does anyone feel the same way? I'll be moving on to photography... And will finish up that review I've been meaning to post up as soon as I get my Grado SR60's. (just several weeks)

Feb 10, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #3 of 63
I doubt you're getting tired of the music, right? Why not sell some gear and go in a different direction? Maybe build an amp. There's still a lot more for you to explore.

Feb 10, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #4 of 63
Unfortunately, photography can take just as much of a chunk out of your wallet as this. In fact, it could take even more. I know from firsthand experience...

Feb 10, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 63
Like any person that immerses themselves fully into their hobbies, you're bound to burn out on it sooner or later. Anything that commands your intense interest is just going to get old.

Also, for many of us, head-fi is about finding a way to bring you and the music together as closely as possible. I'd imagine many people find a setup that more than satisfies their needs for quality audio, and leave it at that. I did, basically. The hobby still interests me, but I don't check the board religiously anymore, and I'm done buying for now. The money and effort involved in getting just a little bit more out of my music listening isn't worth it at this point.

Feb 10, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ViPeRx007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, photography can take just as much of a chunk out of your wallet as this. In fact, it could take even more. I know from firsthand experience...

Yeah, or you could do both.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #8 of 63
You can't lose passion in this hobby unless you lose passion in what it supports: loving music. I do however believe you can be satisfied though.

EDIT: I completely agree with bazmonkey.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #9 of 63
Well I have not been very active for a while because my K1000s have been gone for so long in repair (they have to order the replacement parts from Austria), although things ARE moving along, I just talked to the tech who is servicing mine and he is just waiting on parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bazmonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd imagine many people find a setup that more than satisfies their needs for quality audio, and leave it at that.

Thats what I'm hoping to do with the RS-2.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #10 of 63
I lurked head-fi a long time before joining it.
I found what to me were awesome headphones thanks to the posts/reviews/suggestions.
After that I considered building an amp or buying one, but decided that they were just fine on their own.
I didn't come back here for awhile. Life was good, music was beautiful and my wallet was secure.
tongue.gif

Then my cat chewed up my headphone wire the other day. Which ironically, was what brought me here to begin with (finally coated them down with that bitter stuff today *sigh*). So now I'm back reading like twenty threads, listening to cruddy earbuds, considering new headphones, recabling and finally thinking of building that cmoy I bought all the parts for but never bothered putting together. It's a hobby, but I was never into it like most who get bit by the bug I suppose. Maybe I'm just too cheap.
wink.gif

If you are satisfied with what you have - however elaborate or minimalistic, then enjoy it while you can. That might involve becoming more involved with the community, helping newbs, going into seclusion with your headphones, whatever. You'll get bit by the bug again at some point I'm sure.

Once I get things fixed and back to normal I will more than likely disappear again for awhile, but I'm definitely happier for finding head-fi.

Enjoy the music.
580smile.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #11 of 63
Guess we all need to quit while we're ahead~
Sigh.. I'd give away all my gear to be back in HS and to be able to enjoy life again, instead of having this 'hobby' that just attempts to fill in all the empty hours each day of this pitifully uneventful time, when friends are far away, and I have really nothing to look froward to every morning. I guess that's why I keep hitting refresh at this ungodly hour- hoping to find something that I never will.. solace.

Bye now nick
frown.gif

and don't look back!
biggrin.gif

-lara

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #12 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sigh.. I'd give away all my gear to be back in HS and to be able to enjoy life again, instead of having this 'hobby' that just attempts to fill in all the empty hours each day of this pitifully uneventful time, when friends are far away, and I have really nothing to look froward to every morning. I guess that's why I keep hitting refresh at this ungodly hour- hoping to find something that I never will.. solace.

Bye now nick
frown.gif

and don't look back!
biggrin.gif

-lara

This is actually starting to get really creepy..

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #13 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bye now nick
frown.gif

and don't look back!
biggrin.gif

-lara

Makes me want to listen to Weezer and scrape at my arm with a jagged, broken CD.
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #14 of 63
I think I kind of am losing interest. My current setup really can't be improved for my ears, and the only way it can be improved is if I put in a huge capital investment. Yeah, famous last words, but right now things are at a standstill.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is actually starting to get really creepy..

LOL. Why? Because we find out that hydrocity's name is Lara?!!??!?!

And I've auditioned many huge, home rigs.
To tell you guys the truth, I would hate to buy all that and set it all up just to listen to some crappy-recorded MP3 files.

Maybe that's a reason. Ha. But anywho, I guess I have to really concentrate on school for one thing.

And yes, I'm quite satisfied with the load I have. Recabled K81DJ's and heavy-modded V6's and SR60's might not do it for many of you but it fulfills the richness of music I wanted.

I find that I'm less and less visiting this forum. Hahaha... just like good ol' bangraman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back