Losing passion of this hobby?
Feb 10, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #16 of 63
yeah this hobby is boring. my other hobbies are a lot more interesting than testing headphones. i much prefer spamming these forums and building amps and DACs. and speakers. and cars.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #17 of 63
Not yet... So long as I enjoy music and sound reproduction I dont see myself getting burnt out on headphone audio.

I have to admit I got out of audio/sound reproduction related hobbies from about 1993-1998. I was playing guitar more then though, so much of my audio-fettish was devoted to guitar related stuff.

I think the whole seattle Grunge (GAG) thing turned me off. Back then there was no multi-media based internet, and MP3 files, so FM radio was still the dominant force. And all they played was soundgarden, STP, Greenday, Nirvana stuff like that, which I got burned out on.

Then Dreamtheater released Scenes from a Memory. THAT album re-lit the flame. The tunes, melodies, lyrical content, harmonies,the rhythm patterns, and concept and story behind the music.. WOW! It was like Metallica, Maiden, Zappa, queen, Rush, Marillion and Yes collaborated into one band. TOTALLY pulled me into the music like no other album had in the 1990s. I had always known about petrucci and John Myung from images and words and Pull me under. But they never really captivated me interest... for whatever reason??

From there it re-kindled my interest in Prog metal. But DT also also broadened my interest into Jazz, which I really didn't care much for prior. well... I haven't looked back since. now with the internet I've been introduced to Kamelot, Opeth and other bands that would NEVER get FM radio play.

So I think so long as we dont have another Grunge fiasco.... I'll remain pretty passionate about audio.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #18 of 63
after a decent amp and a couple iems and some 595 and beyers..........i can say i'am done. i'm not looking to expand my headhone inventory after that. would probably hang around here to check exceptinal deals......i'm pretty sure i can say i'm done!!! .........but this is not written in stone

i kept on contadicting myself.................arggh
so.not 100% sure, but at least ican say this....i'm happy on what i have right now

btw.............most of the members who are saying they are done are heaphoneous supremus.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #19 of 63
Like all hobbies there are times when it seems somewhat futile and unfulfilling. I got tired of it a while back but it was mostly external circumstances which have since been resolved. I really like my music and enjoy listening to it well so I enjoy my cans. Also, as long as you stay within your means and don't obsess it's a lot more fun. One evil aspect of this place is self induced peer pressure, thinking that everyone has better cans and always wishing for more.

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #22 of 63
hmm i think you can lose passion for heaphones after you have a rig where youre satisfied with the sound and youre not curious about other headphones because youre satisfied.

I'm getting there, Im pretty much satisfied with my 225s and 580s, but I want to try out other brands and more high end stuff and amps and different sources.

I guess im not that satisfied!

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #23 of 63
I've got involved with photography and music at the very early age; Guitar lessons at 7; Photography at 15; Bought and built my first component system at 16.

Photography would take dedication and concentration. However, I can enjoy head-fi whenever I have chance to strap a set of cans on my head. Also, I can always enjoy my music with my headphones when I do some serious works.

It's always just the beginning of a journey...
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #24 of 63
I'm kind of feeling that too, nsjong. I mean, to me it seems the path is set out for everyone, at least in some general direction. You buy a sub-$100 headphone/IEM and DAP, get an amp, get an ALO, get a new source, dabble in DIY, try higher-end IEMs, dive into vinyl, dive into electrostat, (all the while upgrading existing components) and at the peak, sell it all to listen to your portable and vinyl rig. I may have left out a few steps and the order may be messed up, but I've found that sometimes I try to fill some void in my life with audio, and that's just no way to live.

Audio can be good, and used wrong it can be detrimental. If you try to fill said void with headphones and upgrades, you'll only hunger for more. If you view audiophilia as an accessory to life, then sure, it's all good from there. I know head-fi has taken up at least the burn-in time of an iMod's Blackgates, but was it all worth it?

Audio is not the essence of life, but what would life be without it?

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #25 of 63
Photography is so much more involving than the headphone hobby IMO. I'm fully immersed in photography and I use my headphones when ever I post processing images on my mac, which is a lot of the time. I think the next step for me in this hobby is to build and tweek my own amp/ interconnects/ DAC/ etc.... I will then admit defeat in my original statement and say that the hobby of building audio componants is just as involving..... on a subjective level of course. However, I think that by having the HD650, the thirst for upgrading is quenched.

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #26 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ViPeRx007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, photography can take just as much of a chunk out of your wallet as this. In fact, it could take even more. I know from firsthand experience...

the only way for me to get addicted to photography is the opportunity to take pictures of exotic stuff that stimulates the normal male species.

e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh8yB...elated&search=

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #27 of 63
I think it's safe to say that many of us here at Head-Fi are also photographers and know very well the monetary burdens it carries.

Good luck with both your old hobby and your new hobby, Nick.

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #28 of 63
photography and music is such a great combo

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #29 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by goorackerelite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
photography and music is such a great combo

if someone threatened to either poke out your eyes or poke out your ears, and gave you the choice, which would you rather keep: your sight or your hearing?

Feb 10, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #30 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Losing passion of this hobby?

Not the slightest!
I enjoy music, and sound reproduction. So I am always looking for improvements...
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back