Losing passion of this hobby?
Feb 10, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #46 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess we all need to quit while we're ahead~
Sigh.. I'd give away all my gear to be back in HS and to be able to enjoy life again, instead of having this 'hobby' that just attempts to fill in all the empty hours each day of this pitifully uneventful time, when friends are far away, and I have really nothing to look froward to every morning. I guess that's why I keep hitting refresh at this ungodly hour- hoping to find something that I never will.. solace.

Bye now nick
frown.gif

and don't look back!
biggrin.gif

-lara

you want to go back to highschool?

what?!

highschool is by far the dumbest 4 years of school i have ever experienced

Feb 10, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #49 of 63
Quote:

Confucius say 'You are not done with Head-Fi until Head-Fi is done with you.'

Actually, that is one of the analectts of Confucius: "A man may say he is satisfied, but his wealth can always be squandered on something more."

The Head-Fi motto.

Feb 10, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #50 of 63
I don't lose the passion for music & headphones, but my affinity towards headfi & related forums sometimes fluktuates.
cool.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #51 of 63
I am also new to the hobby. I mean, I have always loved listening to music. ut I decided to spend a few dolars to get an ipod and a good pair of phones. The good pair of phones were the HD555, that I was almost certain I was going to upgrade, because I had a $600budget for the ipod and a pair of QCs. I am so in love with this cans that I cant wait to gte something better. On the other hand, that is something kinda weird. I mean, if i AM LIKING THESE CANS SO MUC, WHY THE HURRY TO UPGRADE?wHY NOT ENJOY IT FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. I findmyself listening to music for crazy hours. I sit on my laptop and the sound is so greta to me that I just cant stand up. I have had the cans for about 3 weeks and many, many times I have seen the sun coing up on my window, after being sitting on my chair since 8or 9PM. That is something great. I am about to receive a pair of SR225, and probably will keep them. I really dont know. The point is that the hobby i supposed to be about enjoying music, not collecting audio equipment...isnt it?

I cant htink of many things I want besides what the HD555s are giving me(robably because I am totally illiterate on this things). The curiosity is what makes me think of upgrading constantly. But make no mistake, at this point, i am enjoying my HD555s out of my laptop and stereo receiver probably more than what some Orpheus owner enjoys his toy. Ignorance is bliss...no doubt.

Enjoy the music!

Feb 10, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #52 of 63
hYdrociTy wrote: Quote:

Sigh.. I'd give away all my gear to be back in HS and to be able to enjoy life again, instead of having this 'hobby' that just attempts to fill in all the empty hours each day of this pitifully uneventful time, when friends are far away, and I have really nothing to look froward to every morning. I guess that's why I keep hitting refresh at this ungodly hour- hoping to find something that I never will.. solace.

Solace: something a computer monitor isn't very good at..

gotchaforce wrote: Quote:

you want to go back to highschool?

what?!

highschool is by far the dumbest 4 years of school i have ever experienced

High school, or 6th form college as we call it in the UK, is more than just about education, it's about being with peers, as we say in the uk, that we like to spend time with.

I also hated my first year of university: living in a cold fast city, takes time to adjust to; but I did it, it's something you have to get used to.

Feb 11, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #55 of 63
I'm currently at about 22 years+ on headphiones, more if I harken back to the day of RadioShack and portable cassette - and, no, my passion is still growing, as hearing loss runs in my family by the mid 60's (without abuse)... so, my passion will be snuffed out naturally in a decade or two (barring medical advances), so it's time to enjoy the ride.

Oh, and since I'm Senior Source-less for another week (and the past week), I've been missing HP something fierce. making do with speakers is OK, but just so not the same.

Feb 11, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #56 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel that this "hobby" is really taking an impact on my social life and wallet. Does anyone feel the same way? I'll be moving on to photography...

You can move up to photography, but that will also cost you a **** load of money when you want to have the right equipment!
tongue.gif

Feb 11, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #58 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stereo equipment is really only about 25%, the recording itself has the biggest impact on the sound. A recording's mix and mastering make the biggest impact on the sound. If you are getting burnt out it is probably the quality of your recordings. Any new music (almost) from the last 10 years is of poor quality due to the loudness race. Try listening to pre '96 CD's.

I think you have made a point there, but if you listen to highqual music with a bad hp it will sound bad anyways

Feb 11, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would think photography would cost more i seen the prices
on some lenses that would buy my entire headphone collection.

Most certainly!!
eggosmile.gif

Feb 11, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #60 of 63
I am 40 years old. I have been an audiophile since I was 12, when my Dad built a Heathkit amp with me. My first "real" pair of headphones were my Dad's old David Clarks when I was 13. I have never lost interest in music, or in the equipment that is involved in high-quality reproduction of music.

I may eventually tire of head-fi.org, who knows. "Forums" and such are a relatively new part of my life. But I'd say after 28 years of being a music lover, audiophile, and headphone enthusiast, the odds are I'll be goofing around with whatever gear there is to goof around with until I no longer walk this earth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back