Looking for Some New Cans under 300$
Aug 3, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:
If you don't need the portability, you would ideally spend $250ish and get something like the NFB-12 or Audinst HUD-MX1. Those have good dac sections utilizing high end Wolfson chips, plus the NFB-12 has enough power for anything short of the HE-6 or K1000. I think I saw an Audinst going for $130 over in the source components sale forum. Semiportable gear and PC sound cards aren't really a match for a dedicated desktop box.

im not taking my headphones anywhere really. so portability isnt important

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:
The Fiio E10 comes with a better DAC and headphone amplifier then the Xonar DG.
The Fiio E10 is simple 2-channel stereo audio, which is fine for music.
But the DG comes with Dolby Headphone surround sound for movies and gaming.

I'm guessing the amplifiers on the E10 & DG will slightly add to the audio quality of the ATH-M50.
Motherboard's come with low cost DACs (Digital to Analog Converters).
The DG does come with a better DAC then your motherboard's
The even better DAC on the Fiio E10 should improve the details even more in the audio quality.

i dont play shooting games or anything on my comp. so music is going to be the main thing

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:
I don't play shooting games or anything on my comp. so music is going to be the main thing

External DACs and amplifiers are not negatively affected by the electrical noise inside the computer, which may affect a sound card's analog audio signal.

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:
So don't get a sound card?

Electrical noise can affect built-in sound and add-on sound cards.
An add-on sound card (DG, $26) would be better then whatever is built into your motherboard.
I personally like using add-on sound cards because they come with surround sound for movies and gaming.
But if you willing to spend $70 for the Fiio E10, it would be good for improving audio quality better then the Xonar DG.

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:
So I'm about to purchase the E10. Just curious, why the E10 and not another e-model?

The E10 is a better sounding DAC/Amp then the E07 and the E10 is about half the price of the E17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back