Looking for Some New Cans under 300$
Aug 3, 2012 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Tethered Limbs

New Head-Fier
ive had the ath m50's for a while now, and im just not feeling them like i thought i would.... i listen to almost anything from electronica to country. but when im listening to my headphones its mostly electronica. so it needs to sound good for that.... i dont have an amp, and would prefer not to get one, unless its going to make a crazy difference in my current cans or new pair.

thanks in advance

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:
I've had the ath m50's for a while now, and im just not feeling them like i thought i would.... i listen to almost anything from electronica to country. but when im listening to my headphones its mostly electronica. so it needs to sound good for that.... i dont have an amp, and would prefer not to get one, unless its going to make a crazy difference in my current cans or new pair.

What source(s) do you use?

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 27
I have had the following headphones, an older Sennheiser HD580, which I gave away.
I also had a AKG-701, which I still have but I feel its performance was more hype than anything else. 
I had the Beyer DT-770 Pro which I used for just 2 months and gave it away to my older bro.

The most satisfaction I have EVER achieved with any sort of headphone was with the Beyer DT-1350.  Its sonic signature and articulation was the most emotive of the headphones of them all.  It must be the tesla design or something that gives with incredible high end, which makes the signature clear without being shouty.  The best $299.99 I have ever spent in audio and also headphones I guess.  Makes headphone amplification just not all that necessary.  I run it directly to my MBP or from my Iphone 4.  Moreover, it is an excellent acoustic isolator.

PS:  I commute via subway to work everyday. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:
I have had the following headphones, an older Sennheiser HD580, which I gave away.
I also had a AKG-701, which I still have but I feel its performance was more hype than anything else. 
I had the Beyer DT-770 Pro which I used for just 2 months and gave it away to my older bro.

The most satisfaction I have EVER achieved with any sort of headphone was with the Beyer DT-1350.  Its sonic signature and articulation was the most emotive of the headphones of them all.  It must be the tesla design or something that gives with incredible high end, which makes the signature clear without being shouty.  The best $299.99 I have ever spent in audio and also headphones I guess.  Makes headphone amplification just not all that necessary.  I run it directly to my MBP or from my Iphone 4.  Moreover, it is an excellent acoustic isolator.

PS:  I commute via subway to work everyday. 

these look cool. decisions decisions......

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 27
Tether limbs.
You really need to get add a DAC and headphone amplifier to make your headphones bring out their best.
The Fiio E10 USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier ($70) will improve the sound of your current ATH-M50s and whatever new headphones you get.
Even something as low cost as the Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card ($26) would be a good investment.
Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80-Ohm (bassy) headphones would work well with the Fiio E10 or the Xonar DG.

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:
Tether limbs.
You really need to get add a DAC and headphone amplifier to make your headphones bring out their best.
The Fiio E10 USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier ($70) will improve the sound of your current ATH-M50s and whatever new headphones you get.
Even something as low cost as the Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card ($26) would be a good investment.
Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80-Ohm (bassy) headphones would work well with the Fiio E10 or the Xonar DG.

ok will look into those amps. see how they make the ath m50's sound. take it you get what you pay for so the fiio is better? 

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #13 of 27
Welcome to the slippery slope and the sound of $katchin'$ going out of your wallet.

I do not know, I am not too convinced to spending even little $ for a puny USB/Amp.  You simply get what you paid for.  That was the case of my old Headroom Bithead which was so so, had volume tracking issues and even though affordable, it was still $ down the wrong path.  I cannot tell you what is a decent headphone amplifier but I just do not see that amp to be that respectable at that price.  Of course, your experience might be different.  Always experiment.

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:
Ok will look into those amps. see how they make the ATH-M50's sound. take it you get what you pay for so the Fiio is better? 

The Fiio E10 comes with a better DAC and headphone amplifier then the Xonar DG.
The Fiio E10 is simple 2-channel stereo audio, which is fine for music.
But the DG comes with Dolby Headphone surround sound for movies and gaming.

I'm guessing the amplifiers on the E10 & DG will slightly add to the audio quality of the ATH-M50.
Motherboard's come with low cost DACs (Digital to Analog Converters).
The DG does come with a better DAC then your motherboard's
The even better DAC on the Fiio E10 should improve the details even more in the audio quality.

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #15 of 27
If you don't need the portability, you would ideally spend $250ish and get something like the NFB-12 or Audinst HUD-MX1. Those have good dac sections utilizing high end Wolfson chips, plus the NFB-12 has enough power for anything short of the HE-6 or K1000. I think I saw an Audinst going for $130 over in the source components sale forum. Semiportable gear and PC sound cards aren't really a match for a dedicated desktop box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back