Looking for high quality over ear head phones that fold
Mar 7, 2011 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

flyfish2002

Head-Fier
Hi.  Getting my head phone situation settled.  Should have come here and done this long ago.  The advice is wonderful and people A-1.

When I travel for work, I use a Practical Devices XM6 and ER4P with APS re-cable with my laptop on the airplane.  Nice isolation from ambient noise and (to my stone ears) great sound. 

Sometimes, though, I work in a hotel room and would like a pair of fold-able over the ear (not necessarily circumaural) headphones,  as I don't need the isolation as much and the ER4P IEMs are not "super comfy" for long periods.

I have read alot of positive comments re:  Ultrasone Pro 900:  can be folded, great reviews and come in a hard case (perfect for packing), but they are often referred to as "bass beasts" - which concerns me.  I listen to about 80% jazz of all genres - from fusion like Weather Report and Pat Methany to 50's West Coast acoustics trios, such as Shelly Mann and Sonny Rollins to vocals including Diane Krall - and everything in between.  The remaining 20% is half a mix of rock (Santana, Linkin Park, Zeppelin, CSN, etc.) and half "small" classical - no huge orchestral pieces.

I understand a number of people have re-cabled the 750s and the 900s with Moon Audio Silver Dragon to great success, too.

So, is there a recommended "short list for me based on the above?  Are the Pro900s on it?  The XM6 is IMHO an outstanding DAC/amp that should be able to drive any headphone. 

Thanks.

Brent

Mar 7, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 3
The folding headphones I enjoy are the Sony MDR-7509HD. I've had them for a couple of years and always take them when I travel. They're pro headphones with a good, flat response and are very comfortable. They don't get a lot of attention here, but you should look into them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back