Looking for HD280 upgrade, similar sound much higher price range wanted
Dec 26, 2012 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Fedelesk

100+ Head-Fier
First, please forgive me I did recently just post, but I wasn't able to edit my thread (was too much text before).

Right now I own the hd280s, I have for years and absolutely love them. But about a year ago I decided upgrade time, and got some BeyerDynamic DT880s. Back when I got these I was unaware of how neutral and flat studio hp are(now I think duhh). For my music style(Mostly Metal/Rap/dubstep, and then a little of everything else) I find the 280s way more enjoyable for music considering the stronger bass and more aggressive colored sound in general.

-I am basically looking for closed or mid closed/open for 90% Metal/Rap/Dubstep, 10% random genres.
-400 dollar budget (would love to see options beyond this though)
-Willing and excited to get a hp amp if needed so that opens more options
-Im looking for much less neutral than the 880s
-Noice cancelling isn't a worry since it will be home use although closed goes hand in hand, and I feel i'll end up with closed.
-Portability is not a worry, nor is durability I take extreme care and don't take out of the house
-Although my taste is mostly metal/bass heavy (and even mixed together :p) I greatly appreciate a good acoustic track, so a decent stage is half way necessary but not crucial whatsoever.
-I am afraid of getting an open or mid open phone because im afraid of the airy neutral sound. If you know of open or mid open hp that will still rattle my head, let me know.
-V-shape sound is OK, but not too much.

I want to say WOW compared to my 280s, not a sad face that the DT880s gave me (Although on certain tracks the DT880's did wow me where the 280s couldnt, mostly on soundstage). Overall it was a big big disappointment, even with a steal of a deal at 220 for the 880s.

At one point I had a few options, like the grado 325i, but cannot recall if they are fully circum-aural.
The Denon D2000 looked like a very nice pair of hp, but I believe those are the hard to find ones correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks a lot for the read, any opinions would be great.

P.S Please don't recommend the ATH-M50s I have seen WAY too many tossups between those and my current ones to think I will be satisfied whatsoever.

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 16
I found myself in your position a while ago, having owned the HD 280 pro and looking to upgrade to something nicer. At the time I thought the 280 pros sounded awesome, like you do but having upgraded I realize how much the 280s sound like poo. Before I upgraded headphones I bought an M-stage amp and that paired with the 280 pro yielded a very nice improvement, especially in the bass department where it becomes much tighter and better controlled.

But I ended up moving to the HE-400 and never looked back. It certainly gave me wow moments in comparison to the 280 pro and Im sure it would you too unlike the DT880s. It may have the sound signature you're looking for too, somewhat neutral but with awesome bass and a little sparkle up top, you could call it a little v-shaped but not so much, it's certainly fun sounding. I would not be afraid of it being an open can for the reason you mentioned.

But of course the Hfiman would be better with an amp, so perhaps the HE-400 would be a little out of your price point with an amp, but without one you can certainly afford it.

Dec 26, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #3 of 16
Indeed the D2000 are discontinued and hard to find - they would be a good upgrade from the HD 280 though. The SR-325, like all Grado Prestige series, are on-ear headphones. Very good though, but not basshead cans.

What I'd suggest for your desires would be either the Ultrasone HFI-2400 or PRO2900, or the Kenwood KH-K1000.

Dec 26, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 16
What do you all think of the ultrasone pro 900, if I wanted to go for more like 300 budget before amped? I've heard these don't need much amping but I have a fiios 10 on the way for my 880s, and whatever I end up getting. I will read more about your suggestions thanks for responses so far.

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
I found myself in your position a while ago, having owned the HD 280 pro and looking to upgrade to something nicer. At the time I thought the 280 pros sounded awesome, like you do but having upgraded I realize how much the 280s sound like poo. Before I upgraded headphones I bought an M-stage amp and that paired with the 280 pro yielded a very nice improvement, especially in the bass department where it becomes much tighter and better controlled.

But I ended up moving to the HE-400 and never looked back. It certainly gave me wow moments in comparison to the 280 pro and Im sure it would you too unlike the DT880s. It may have the sound signature you're looking for too, somewhat neutral but with awesome bass and a little sparkle up top, you could call it a little v-shaped but not so much, it's certainly fun sounding. I would not be afraid of it being an open can for the reason you mentioned.

But of course the Hfiman would be better with an amp, so perhaps the HE-400 would be a little out of your price point with an amp, but without one you can certainly afford it.

I have been using the sennheiser hd 380 pro (i belive was an improved version of the hd 280) before moving myself to the HE-400, and i agree with beaver.

Even thou at start i was somewhat skeptikal about the sound signature, i made sure to reserve my judgement untill i spent with them at least 1 month. In reality, its not been a month yet (i think i bought them 14 december 2012) and i already have begun to understand why they required some time.

The sound is quite diffrent, so at starters it sounded awsome, yet somehow i felt lost in the sound, even a little dizzy at the first 2 hours of listening.

Now however, everything i heard before still sounds great, yet for some reason i keep using theose cans.
Now, with no amp, they sure are lacking at some points. When i play games on my laptop like Mass effect 1,2,3 with no amp, some sounds are simply weak compared to others. With an amp however, it reminds me of my Z-5500 (not in sound signature, but in how much more i enjoy the game itself).

I have had a shot at listetning to the HD700 from sennhesier at a shop in germany for about 40 seconds and at the begining i thought they were a lot better than the HE-400 (well, they are quite more expensive).

However, they were fueled by a high end hi-fi engine, and i wa comparing them fo my hifiman on my cowon and E17.
Finally, i checked the hifiman he-400 on that hi end setup, and i must admit the diffrence became more of sound signature than of quality.
(Still, if i win the lotery tomorrow, im buying the HD700 also).

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #9 of 16
V-Moda M-100 for sure. Sony MDR-1R maybe. 

Audeze LCD-2 at $1000 will definitely wow you in the bass.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #10 of 16
You know, I ended up with the he400. I was very close to the m-100 I just didn't know all that much about them. And I find the design of the he400 much more appealing. One thing I also liked is my dt880 Velour pads will fit on the he400 very easily.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #11 of 16
You know, I ended up with the he400. I was very close to the m-100 I just didn't know all that much about them. And I find the design of the he400 much more appealing. One thing I also liked is my dt880 Velour pads will fit on the he400 very easily.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #12 of 16

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #13 of 16

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
Tyll, what about the Momentums? Or as mentioned above the Pro 900's with a Kees mod?

(different sounds, I know, but for what Fedelsk is looking for?)

Do you have a link to the Kees mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back