Looking for Grados less strident/peaky than RS1s
Jun 6, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #16 of 17
Lost midrange with the flats over the bowls? Weird

The peakiness could probably be fixed by a good tube amp.

Quote:
tried TTVJ flats. didn't work for me. i enjoyed the increased bass presence but it lost too much of that great mid-range, and the bass became somewhat muddled compared to standard bowls.

but somehow my ears have gotten used to the sound of the RS-1s. there are still some songs that hit the right frequency range hard and are a bit painful, but for the most part i have no issues anymore. weird.

i had this when i bought D2000s too. at first they were so peaky to me, and then a combination of break-in and my ears getting used to them took care of it. now they seem dark compared to my DT990s!

here the RS-1s were already broken in though... so it was just my ears.

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #17 of 17
i remember doing a huge amount of research on RS-1 vs RS-2 vs HF-2 vs RS-1i back before i made a purchase, and now it's all just a jumble in my head. i know RS-2 and HF-2 are slightly laid back in presentation compared to RS-1. similarly RS-1i is tamed in the upper range compared to RS-1. i don't remember anything past that.

i'm really enjoying the RS-1s now, despite occasionally encountering a song that makes them painful.

but i think it'll be worthwhile to try one of each of the headphones mentioned above to see how they suit my ears. which should i start with? RS-2, HF-2, or RS-1i?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back