Looking for closed headphones
Jan 25, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #32 of 45
As is clearly evidenced throughout the headphone world, price has nothing to do with performance, so really you can see how a $200 MT220 can easily perform, especially as it has a multi-billion dollar company like Yamaha backing it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/750619/debunk-the-yamaha-mt220-myth

Make up your mind.

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #33 of 45
The MT220 does not have the performance that the pro reviews say, that was the thrust of my thread. The reviews try to say they are dead-on accurate, and also give the impression these are near flawless, which they aren't.

However, that doesn't mean they aren't listenable. Every headphone is listenable to a lesser or greater extent; this MT220 performs better than some and worse than others, so my conclusion is that this is simply another 'me too' headphone and not what Yamaha says on the box where it says "Unparalleled performance" it also says on the box "faithful, ultra precise accuracy", and i'm saying this is bullsh_t. There is no point having so-called accuracy if the actual sonic soundstage and balance are lacking. This MT220 is not worth the praise it has received, nonetheless it sounds better than the Audio Technica ATH-M50, as i said in my thread.

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #34 of 45
Mt220 sounds exceptional in my experience... Once I pushed the drivers further away from my ears.
When the drivers are too near...the sound is less cohesive...bass kinda overbearing/sloppy.

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #35 of 45
Mt220 sounds exceptional in my experience... Once I pushed the drivers further away from my ears.

When the drivers are too near...the sound is less cohesive...bass kinda overbearing/sloppy.

Very true. Exactly what i have noticed. Slightly sloppy bass on songs that have sub-bass frequencies; other times it's nice and tight in the bass region. It seems the achillies heel of this headphone is when some songs have to much going on in the 40-70Hz region.

A good DAC/Amp helps tremendously though, tightens things up nicely. Seems this headphone is asking for pro driving. Not too much to ask i suppose, seeing as other headphones need the same thing.

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #36 of 45
Hmmmm...since I padded the earpads...every sound is tight. Plays Copeland's Fanfare for the Common Man without issue...right off my ipad.

With better homegears..the depth perception improved further...n even better clarity.

Heard it on a Woo22 amp....with 2k cdplayer..
SIMPLY MAGIC...didnt feel the need to buy the th900 I was supposedly testing..:p.

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #39 of 45
If you want headphones that don't leak, stay away from the Denons--they leak terribly (at least my D7000s did).

I use Beyerdynamic DT-770s at work. They don't leak at all (unless you're playing your music at some sort of insane volume).

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #44 of 45
These are all a matter of taste. Then there are measurements... Here are my opinions:

AKG K550 - too thin bass, too small isolation, very inside head imaging
ATH-W5000 - very easy to listen to, great for human vocals, bass not super-deep or accurate/tight, excellent wearing comfort
Sennheiser HD280 - flat, uninteresting, a tad bright - death grip on the head (horrible wearing comfort), good isolation
Beyerdynamic T70 + Beyer gel pads - my current favourite, adjustable head band (bend it), gel pads provide great isolation, even against eyeglass frames, can get sweaty during heat waves, bass is accurate (one of the best there is) and plentiful, a bit too bright/aggressive voicing for me, wearing comfort at the top of th head takes some time to get used to

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #45 of 45
  I have been looking at the Spirit Focal Pros, Beyerdynamic DT770, and the AKG K550.

Many seem to have seal issues with the K550 and therefore miss out on its quite good bass representation. Comfort was a bit suboptimal to me as the headband padding is too thin.

DT770 are, depending on the version, a bit bass-heavy and distant sounding, isolate very well and were overall quite nice (I had a 32Ohm 88-Anniversary Edition).

The Spirit Pro has the most neutral and resolving sound signature of the three, but comfort was an issue: the pads are simply too small for my ears and they were more on- than over-ear. Together with rather strong clamping and some design decisions around the headband (which shows some gaps when stretched, look for photos in the Spirot Pro thread) I decided to sell it. Was replaced with the NAD HP50, which resolves these issues for me and sounds really good. Well worth the money...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back