Looking for cans for Jazz
Sep 17, 2010 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fuff

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-fiers
This is my first post here, so please bear with me, I'm still just a noob

After some lurking and reading on the subject I'd like to ask for help. I'm looking for full size headphones mainly for jazz (hard bop / post bop / modal, but lately also more recent stuff ) and little bit of rock; source: mp3 ( 256kbps ) from my 32GB ipod touch 3G. I'd like to use them on the go, so portability is a must and closed design is preferable. Budget is around £100 - £150. Amp (if necessary) might be a possibility in the future, but not at the moment ( budget is tight right now 
frown.gif
 - I actually own fiio e5 & LOD already, but doubt whether that will make any difference).
Phones I was looking at so far:
Sennheiser HD555 / 559 / 25
Audio Technica ATH ES7 / AD 700 / ATH M50
(maybe AKG K 240 DF? not really sure if they are any good with jazz)
From what I have read about Grado, I'm kind of sorry they're making mostly open cans. They (plus Alessandro) might be definitely some nice fun phones to listen to.
So please, post your suggestions, opinions and general feedback
biggrin.gif

Btw: So far I've owned only Senn. HD 415 and although they are not bad, I think I can enjoy my music more with some better phones. That also sadly means that I don't have much to compare to.

Thanks.
fuff

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 6
Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet.

The AKG K-240DF does do well withe the music you enjoy, however, they really like to have an amp and I don't know if I would take my pair portable. A couple others in your budget that I really enjoy with jazz are the AKG K-501 and the Sennheiser HD-600. Unfortunately, they're both open and don't do well from portables.

The only closed pairs I have that I enjoy reasonably well with jazz is the Sony MDR-7509HD. I take them with me on vacations and whenever I head out of town. They're not the best I've heard, but certainly good enough to enjoy the music.

Sep 18, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 6
Thank you all for your suggestions. Thanks also for the welcomes, It's great to be a part of this community.

@ Uncle Erik: I've read pretty amazing reviews of K501, but everyone kept mentionig proper amping, so I think I wait a bit for these beauties - I would not want to spoil my experience by insufficent amplification. Same goes for HD600. Also better source might apparently help. And DAC. And new cables. And maybe....
What was it you said about my wallet?
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="1" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//biggrin.gif" title="
biggrin.gif
" width="1" />
Damn, looks like I have to cut down on my beer money. That's definitely bad news 
frown.gif
frown.gif

@ Mralexosborn: Grados are really haunting me now - I just might get a pair of one of the cheaper models (sr60i,80i) next for my home - just to see for myself.

@ 1Time: M50 seems to me like a very good option, from what I've read definitely great value for money. Any idea if it's worth getting an amplifier for them later on (and if so, which one might be suitable)?
Also has anyone tried sennheiser HD25 - any of the different models? Are they any good?

Thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate all your help. Keep them posts coming please:)

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Thank you all for your suggestions. Thanks also for the welcomes, It's great to be a part of this community.

@ Uncle Erik: I've read pretty amazing reviews of K501, but everyone kept mentionig proper amping, so I think I wait a bit for these beauties - I would not want to spoil my experience by insufficent amplification. Same goes for HD600. Also better source might apparently help. And DAC. And new cables. And maybe....
What was it you said about my wallet?
" class="bbcode_smiley" files.head-fi.org="" height="" http:="" images="" p="" smilies="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//biggrin.gif" title="
biggrin.gif
" width="1" />
Damn, looks like I have to cut down on my beer money. That's definitely bad news 
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//frown.gif" title="
frown.gif
" width="" />
frown.gif

@ Mralexosborn: Grados are really haunting me now - I just might get a pair of one of the cheaper models (sr60i,80i) next for my home - just to see for myself.

@ 1Time: M50 seems to me like a very good option, from what I've read definitely great value for money. Any idea if it's worth getting an amplifier for them later on (and if so, which one might be suitable)?
Also has anyone tried sennheiser HD25 - any of the different models? Are they any good?

Thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate all your help. Keep them posts coming please:)

Don't listen to the people that say Grado's are only for Metal/Rock. They are quite versatile until you come to Rap/Hip-Hop. If you haven't heard anything else the SR225i will blow you away with how much it immerses you into, say, Miles Davis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back