Looking for "all purpose?" cans
Aug 31, 2011 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Rizzn

New Head-Fier
So I've been browsing the forums for the last 8 hours or so, driving myself crazy mostly because I don't know what I'm looking for. 

I'm looking for a primarily at home pair of headphones, but they would also be used at off-home excursions such as flights, hotel stays, and road trips.  There would be no public commute type of use.  Saying this, I'd like it to be portable enough to pull in and out easily from a backpack, from which I love to store travel essentials.

Grados look nice but I think most of my applications require closed cans, which makes me think soundstage will be a problem.  To compare what I may enjoy, I use Bose Triports as my go-to at home phones and would like an upgrade.  I use the Apple ibuds on the go.

The models that have caught my eye the most are:

-Sennheiser HD 25-SP II
-Sennheiser HD 25-1 II
-Aiaiai TMA-1
-Beyerdynamic DT1350
-AKG K450/Q460

Grados look so nice so if the open-air design is much better for at home use (I hear about the open-air soundstage.  Does anything else closed compare?) than I can use those at home and get a separate portable pair.  I've never used an open-air phone, just my Triports, and I may get into studio production so how does the open design work out with recording processes?

I guess I like the mid-size cans just because from the full size ones I've seen they just look so huge and bulky.  I won't pay more than $300 and used/refurbished is not a problem at all.

How do these models compare and I'd love to hear about other models that are out there.  Thanks.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 17

Quote:
and I may get into studio production

srh940, as they are studio monitors, do not require amping (but still require a good source). Although I  wouldn't use them to produce hip hop, or any bass heavy music.

Quote:
so how does the open design work out with recording processes?

You get a bigger soundstage with open cans, mainly that.

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 17
The TMA-1's are great headphones, but they are not allrounders. They are incredible for most electronic music but don't work as well with classical, jazz or rock.
All phones have pros and cons, pick as balanced a phone as possible or go for broke by buying a phone that is awesome for your favourite genre

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 17
I think within your price range the HD 25-1 II would be a good choice. I personally have them and I find them very enjoyable as my portable cans, even without an amp.
You can get them for $200, which leaves you with bit of money to buy an amp as well. You could accompany it with a FiiO E9 or a Little Dot I+.
The only downside of the HD 25-1 II is that it gets uncomfortable if you wear it for long periods of time.

The DT1350 would also be a great choice, but I'll once again doubt that they will be comfortable if worn for a long time.

You should consider getting a good headphone for home use only, and use the Bose (maybe upgrade later) as a portable can.

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 17
Any headphone over $100 is for anything

A "Balanced" can is what you might want to look for

HD25-1 ii is nice, but uncomfortable
HD598 is nice for a lot, but need a amp to drive well.
MDR-V6 and friends like MDR-7509HD are balanced and fun. MDR-7509HD is my highest rec without a amp.

Shure 940 might be bright (more treble then bass) but can handle a lot.

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #8 of 17
Does anyone have long term experience with the HD 25s (25-1 II)?  I'm curious how uncomfortable they would be for hours of consecutive use

Also, can I buy the 25SP headband and use it with the 25-1 elements?  That split headband just looks so goofy to me.

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #9 of 17
I have the HD 25-1 II's.
In my opinion they are fairly comfortable, but when worn for more than 1-2 hours my ears start to become sweaty and start to ache. I wouldn't recommend them if your going to wear them for long periods daily. You'll be fine however if you won't wear them longer than 1-2 hours per day.

Despite the double headband (which is very comfortable) they still put a lot of pressure on your ears. They have considerable clamping force and because they sit ON your ears you feel it even more. Since it's all plastic I don't see any good way to reduce the clamping force by bending them either.
It could get more comfy if you would be able to get your hands on some velour ear pads. I don't personally have them, since I wouldn't know where to get them. I can only find flashy yellow ones that don't really suit my tastes.

Sep 1, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #10 of 17
Well, this would be a 95% at home phone so I guess it's no good.

I'm guessing I want to stay away from on-ears because they must have clamping force to stay sealed, which leaves circumaurals.

Now taking suggestions for $100-300 circumaurals with good soundstage, overall balance, and punchy bass.  I hate to say this but style also matters to me.  I've seen Beyers and AKGs from lurking that just look so hideous.  I don't want loops going 4 inches above my head, or giant bulging balloons coming from my ears.

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
Well, this would be a 95% at home phone so I guess it's no good.

Now taking suggestions for $100-300 circumaurals with good soundstage, overall balance, and punchy bass.  I hate to say this but style also matters to me.

Look at Denons , especially D2000 .... Read the reviews. You don't like the style of AKG ? I  wanted to get an AKG K701 partly because of the style ! Instead I  got a srh940, which doesn't require amping.

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #13 of 17
I had the M50s before and I didn't have them for very long but I remember it having a boring sound.  Something about it didn't catch my attention.  I plan to use it for monitoring, so I guess this might be like the M50 (flat), but I like it to sound fun as well.  Realizing that I'll be using basically primarily at home I'm getting away from the on-ear design and more of the over-ear for comfort reasons.  I listen to 50+ hours of music a week from home. 

I can't stop thinking about the HD25s but I can't just don't think 6+ hours a day would justify such a phone.

I'm looking at the Sony MDR-ZX700 now.  It seems like a great value but I have the budget to spend quite a bit more.

Sep 1, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #14 of 17
Hey man,
If you are in doubt between HD 25-1 II and Beyerdynamic DT1350 I suggestion you to see the Head-Fi TV episode 004.
I just bought an HD 25-1 II Originals Adidas and I'm surprise how good it is. Too confortable (I use it a max 2h followed) and amazing sound. (I have also the AKG K450. It is good, but HD 25 is pretty better... and more expense)
I have a Shure SRD840 (over ear) that is also good, but the HD 25 has more bass.

If you consider a Over ear headphone about $300 I suggest you the Beats by Dr. Dre Studio which has also noise cansellation as an amazing feature.

Hope we could help you.
Let us know what was your choise.

Sep 2, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #15 of 17
Hey man,
If you are in doubt between HD 25-1 II and Beyerdynamic DT1350 I suggestion you to see the Head-Fi TV episode 004.
I just bought an HD 25-1 II Originals Adidas and I'm surprise how good it is. Too confortable (I use it a max 2h followed) and amazing sound. (I have also the AKG K450. It is good, but HD 25 is pretty better... and more expense)
I have a Shure SRD840 (over ear) that is also good, but the HD 25 has more bass.

If you consider a Over ear headphone about $300 I suggest you the Beats by Dr. Dre Studio which has also noise cansellation as an amazing feature.

Hope we could help you.
Let us know what was your choise.

Someone actually suggested the Beats by Dr. Dre. Studio as a viable option.
With all due respect I suggest you should lurk more. Hating on Beats is considered a daily activity in head-fi land.

And in my opinion it's not advisable to use portable cans for home use, since over ears are simply far more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back