Looking for advice new headphones for 400-450$
Jul 29, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #16 of 27
I am from Israel Amazon don't ship to me.
I found the site Headphone.com (phone not phones) they have worldwide delivery but they are expensive and the delivery expensive too.
I think I will buy from ebay or from someone here I am not in hurry to buy new headphones so I can wait for a good deal.
My budget went up to 400-450 so is there something better? Or maybe buy an amp/dac?
I think about the dt990 or some ultrasone 900/2400/2500/2900 how the ultrasone compares to dt990 in sound and comfort I will were them for a very long time maybe even eight hours continuous sometimes so they must be very comfortable.
No one sales darthbeyers & skybeyers and I understood they are pretty expensive they are also ugly in my opinion.

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #17 of 27
The DT990, DT880 are very comfortable for long listening session, so Audio Technica headphones are like AD1000. The Sony SA5000 willbe very good match too but it's need AMPs help to bring out the best from it. AKG K701 are also very comfortable headphones and they are very detailed but lacked bass punch. The Ultrasone Pro 2900 are amazing if bass and details you are looking for in headphone with surround soundstage and they are comfortable too.

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #18 of 27

Quote:
I am from Israel Amazon don't ship to me.
I found the site Headphone.com (phone not phones) they have worldwide delivery but they are expensive and the delivery expensive too.
I think I will buy from ebay or from someone here I am not in hurry to buy new headphones so I can wait for a good deal.
My budget went up to 400-450 so is there something better? Or maybe buy an amp/dac?
I think about the dt990 or some ultrasone 900/2400/2500/2900 how the ultrasone compares to dt990 in sound and comfort I will were them for a very long time maybe even eight hours continuous sometimes so they must be very comfortable.
No one sales darthbeyers & skybeyers and I understood they are pretty expensive they are also ugly in my opinion.

Heya,

If you can swing it, the Ultrasone 2900. It's an open version of the Pro 900. It's a great headphone. Expensive. But great. If I could trade my DT990 for a 2900, I'd probably do it. But the price difference is a full tier. With your budget though, the Beyers are very, very comfortable. I'd suggest you use your budget to get the DT990 600ohms and a DAC/AMP combo to drive them (like the FiiO E7+E9).

Very best,

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #19 of 27
How will the dt 990 600ohm sound from a mobile phone? I will 99% use the headphones with my PC just wonder how they will sound from a phone.
What about other ultrasone models because I see that 2900 is pretty expensive,
I found some Denons d5000 for 450$ what about them?
Is there some other good amps\dacs for 150$ I don't like the docking connection between them also my table is very small so it's better to place the amp on a shelf but I don't think that the e7+e9 combo will fit there because of the hight of the e7 when its connected to e9. What about Little Dot's amps?
If I will buy an amp and dac the sound card will be any useful?

Jul 29, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #20 of 27

Quote:
How will the dt 990 600ohm sound from a mobile phone? I will 99% use the headphones with my PC just wonder how they will sound from a phone.
Is there some other good amps\dacs for 150$ I don't like the docking connection between them also my table is very small so it's better to place the amp on a shelf but I don't think that the e7+e9 combo will fit there because of the hight of the e7 when its connected to e9. What about Little Dot's amps?

Heya,

From the mobile phone, depending on which one it is, probably very quiet. 600ohm impedance is pretty tough for more mobile phones. Some mobile media players can handle that (my Sansa Fuze for example can actually make it play at moderate volumes), but most will need an amplifer for something 600ohms. There's plenty of good DAC/AMP's that will run you only $100 that will drive them. FiiO E7, Nuforce uDac2, etc. If you buy a DAC, it's to replace the soundcard. You don't want to use soundcards. That's if you're looking to be portable. I wouldn't use the DT990 portable though. DT990 + E7+E9 would be a great setup at your house. They're not large, it will fit on your desk or some where.

If you're worried about the AMP issue, you can always get the 32ohm or 250ohm version of the DT990 if you like that headphone, it will be easier to drive. As mentioned, an E7 or uDac2 would take care of them. The 600ohm really does benefit a more powerful amp, but it's not impossible to take care of them on a basic amp like these to start out.

Alternatively, Little Dot amps are excellent, they're pretty much as big and bigger than the E9.

For expense, if you can get the Ultrasone 2900, it would be pretty much the best thing you can get for soundstage, bass and overall quality in that price range. Only a high end flag ship at that point would trump it. It's pretty easy to drive too.

Very best,

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #21 of 27

Quote:

I think it's better to get highend PC soundcard than AMPs/DAC for $150 because average AMPs/DAC won't make much difference than intel internal soundcards. I will recommend these sound cards like Asus Essence ST/STX and they will improve sound much more than PC stock soundcard and can drive high impedance headphones under 250 Ohm. The only headphones can use with phone and PC are the one with lower impedance like 16 to 32 Ohm and higher sensitivity(above 100db).

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #23 of 27

Quote:
I think it's better to get highend PC soundcard than AMPs/DAC for $150 because average AMPs/DAC won't make much difference than intel internal soundcards. I will recommend these sound cards like Asus Essence ST/STX and they will improve sound much more than PC stock soundcard and can drive high impedance headphones under 250 Ohm. The only headphones can use with phone and PC are the one with lower impedance like 16 to 32 Ohm and higher sensitivity(above 100db).

Heya,

Internal soundcards don't have that great of DACs nor AMPs when you compare chipsets. Plus, you have the added issues of it simply being in the computer itself, extra potential noise, interference, etc. You also have to plug into the back of the soundcard, which may be a hassle. Plus the soundcard doesn't work for people with laptops, netbooks and other devices. It's strictly one machine at a time, since you have to literally install it inside. Doesn't really travel with you should you want to use it some where else. Soundcards are great for gaming with headphones, but for otherwise high fidelity, soundcards aren't great, they're a heel and often the limiting factor in that chain.

Very best,

Jul 30, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #24 of 27

Quote:
I am from Israel as well, there are sites like mustop.com that will give you an Amreican address and ship it to Israel for you
I bought my monster turbines this way.

First u made me happy but then very sad and angry after I realised that the tax on the DT990 are 100$!!!!!!!!! they take 30% ******* thifes! the total cost for the dt990 will be around 450$ so I think I wouldn't buy an amp\dac. dt990+e9+e7 will cost more than 700$!
I cant choose between the dt990 and the pro900 (with 30% tax I don't think any more about the 2900) I read good things about both and just cant choose witch to buy.
MalveauX I see u own dt990 and pro 900 how they compare to each other?
What about the ultrasone 2400 and 2500?

Jul 31, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #26 of 27
I used mustop.com's calculator to the total cost of the headphones with delivery and tax and the tax was 100$ I will check that. 16% is much better but I think I will buy from ebay or something like that there some chances to not pay the tax.
Maybe u know can I ask the dealer to write in the invoice a much lower price it's should work? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back