Looking for a setup to compliment these cans
Aug 20, 2012 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

PFiddles

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fiers,

I've been trolling for a little while, trying to learn what I can.

Having just put together a new m-ITX build, I was wanting to get some new headphones to use in conjunction with the new computer.

I was looking quite closely at the new ATH-A700x closed cans (because I like isolation and not annoying other people in the room). I was also looking at the Beyerdynamic 770 80-ohm version but was a bit put off by the strong recommendations to also get an amp if buying these cans.

The only thing with my new PC is that, being m-ITX, it only had 1 PCI-e slot, so I was wondering whether I should be looking at a USB DAC or similar device to best compliment the new setup.

I thought I had a handle on USB DACs and other devices until I found a bunch of conflicting information around the place (including on here) so I figured it would be best to just join up and start a thread!

Hope that's enough of a background to get a few opinions and recommendations!

Cheers,
PF.

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 7
A good starter USB dac/amp like the E7 would be good for the DT770/80, though I'd probably hold off and get something like the E17 instead, which would even better suited. The DT770 80 aren't hard to drive, but do need SOME amping. They're actually easier to amp than the 32ohm Beyers, which seem quite current hungry.

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 7
Ahh, I also forgot to mention that I read somewhere about different DACs being better suited for either gaming or music/production etc.

I was hoping to get a set that would be used for 60% gaming & 40% music. I know that this ratio is exceptionally cliche, especially from head-fi noobs, but I'm hoping that this will help further clarify what I plan to be using these for.

Being based in Australia somewhat limits the places I can source my bits from.

http://www.pccasegear.com.au is one place that could be considered, but they only stock the 250ohm version of the DT770s. They also don't stock the E7 or E17. By the way, what would you say the difference between the E7 and E17 would be, to justify the extra $60-$80?

I may be able to go through Amazon, which has a much better selection & price list. The only thing to consider would be whether or not they will ship these bits to Australia...

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 7
The difference is a better DAC and a much better amp, as well as having bass and treble balance controls, so you can raiser lower those to suit your preference. The E7 only has 3 levels of bass boost, 2 which are ridiculously bloated... and NONE which the DT770 needs.

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #5 of 7
I'm thinking I might just go with the A700X at this stage, for cost-effectiveness, and perhaps in a little while see if I want to get the BeyerDynamics.

Would a DAC/Amp provide any benefit for them, given that they're not quite as difficult to power as the DT770s?

Also, would a DAC/Amp provide better positioning, etc. for FPS gaming or anything like that when compared with the onboard Realtek solution?

Motherboard is an AsRock Z77E-ITX if that helps, regarding the actual chipset that the onboard sound uses.

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #6 of 7
I can't speak to the A700X, but I have the ATH-A900X at work and they are outstanding for a closed HP. I use them at work 8 hours a day and have no problems with fatiguing or discomfort. The A900X's definitely improve with a DAC/amp...I'm running mine through a Audinst HUD-MX1.

For a closed HP, they have an amazing soundstage.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #7 of 7
Heya,

Try and pick up a Fiio E10 for your setup. And as for headphones, well, the A700X is fine if you want something balanced, but try and go for the A900X if you can, maybe find it used even. Alternatively, look into the Brainwavz HM5 or Fischer Audio FA003, Ultrasone PRO 650 and 750, Shure SRH840.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back