Looking for a powerful phones amp
Jul 5, 2012 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Rayz

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I'm looking for an amp for my headphones, but this amp most be powerful enough as I have to drive phones like the K701 and DT990 600 Ohm. the badget can get even to 1K$, only if needed- of course I will be happy if it takes me less. 

Please consider my K701 that I have to drive too, those cans are very hard to drive, so I need a MONSTER amp for the job.
My thoughts until now were about the SPL Auditor, but I just can't find it anywhere in USA or in the buyers\sellers board here (but if you know where can I get it, please let me know).
I heard that this amp is very powerful, but if it's can't be gain, I'd like to get other amp with similar power.

What's important for me most of all is analytical, detailed and transparent sound, what I heard the SPL does best, so the amp most do wonderful job in those categories. 

Thank you!

Jul 5, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:
Hey, I'm looking for an amp for my headphones, but this amp most be powerful enough as I have to drive phones like the K701 and DT990 600 Ohm. the badget can get even to 1K$, only if needed- of course I will be happy if it takes me less. 

Please consider my K701 that I have to drive too, those cans are very hard to drive, so I need a MONSTER amp for the job.
My thoughts until now were about the SPL Auditor, but I just can't find it anywhere in USA or in the buyers\sellers board here (but if you know where can I get it, please let me know).
I heard that this amp is very powerful, but if it's can't be gain, I'd like to get other amp with similar power.

What's important for me most of all is analytical, detailed and transparent sound, what I heard the SPL does best, so the amp most do wonderful job in those categories. 

What are you using for a DAC?

Jul 5, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 14
My Xonar Essence.
No other DAC is planned, I think the sound of the xonar is good enough for a quality source.

Jul 5, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
My Xonar Essence.
No other DAC is planned, I think the sound of the xonar is good enough for a quality source.

Have you tried driving the K701 and DT990 600 with the Xonar Essence's headphone amplifier, my Essence STX works with 600-ohm headphones.

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 14
Yep, but the STX's amp is not it.
He's greater than any entery-amp out there for my liking, but it's just not enough for a phones like the K701. a way more is needed.

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #7 of 14
La Figaro 339 should be in consideration if you like tubes and power.

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 14
Jul 9, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #10 of 14
or any audio-gd amp - but there are quite a few amps that can drive the 701's.  I'd also check out the 701 thread to see what people there are listening to.

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #13 of 14
or any audio-gd amp - but there are quite a few amps that can drive the 701's.  I'd also check out the 701 thread to see what people there are listening to.

I think a-gd amp is powerful, but more suitable for low impedance phones current hunger like lcd-2, while his phones are more towards voltage requirement.

You could also check Violectric offerings, they are also good at delivering voltage.

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 14
Been reading about the Burson soloist, it does have the ability to drive from the most sensitive phones to the most powerful ones. Its a sub 1k amp, looks promising. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back