Looking for a pair of headphones (Newbie)
Aug 21, 2011 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

x3Luffy

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I'm new here and am a total newbie at headphones. I'm looking to pick up my first set of headphones and have actually looked around. 

For now, I prefer the headphones to be able to play well without amps. I like more of pop rock music, however, don't really know how to appreciate classical music unfortunately. I have a budget up to 200 SGD (around 115 euros), but if I really find a pair I really like, I can spend more on it. I would mostly use it at home as well.

I went around and tried on a few pairs today. I can't remember the model/brand of the first one (it isn't really mentioned much I think) but however, I think it was somewhat comparable to Grado SR60 (around 130) and SR80 (around 180).  Later on, I tried Beats Studio thanks to a rather friendly salesman, it sounded quite amazing when I tried it on and was rather comfortable but because of its bad durability from what I read and its high price, I probably won't be getting those as it probably won't be too worth it. However, I like that kind of sound it produced and can I get any recommendations on headphones of similar sound? I am able to get to quite a variety of brands and won't mind revisiting grados again since there must be a reason for its popularity. 

Thanks in advance and just ask if you need to know anything more! :)

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 12
do you need isolation? Grado's are open. Because you can get the AKG K518 DJ (closed and great isolation for a supra aural (on ear)) for around 60 euros i think. They are great sounding, i prefer them over all the Beats, i even tested them side by side. Check those out.

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 12
Lots of people seem to like the Grados, hear they are great for rock.
Save a few dollars and get the Superlux HD-668Bs, good "starter" headphones.
They are 56-Ohm, should work with any source.

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 12
What is your source going to be?

If it's an ipod then the Grado SR60 might be your best bet. for the money people seem to like those best. they look like something a public library would have lying around but Grado makes well respected audiophile-quality products

I use my headphones for a laptop. If that's going to be you, then take the plunge and look into a DAC (digital-to-analog-converter) and a headphone amp. sometimes you can get both in one, like the nuforce uDac, which is about $120 USD. Once there's an amp in the picture then you can start thinking about more substantial headphones, which an ipod might have trouble powering. Check out Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic. I'm courting the HD600 and the DT990. 

My personal first step, three years ago, was a pair of Sennheiser PX200s (sadly, never actually heard the SR60 so i can't compare them to the PX200), I  upped those to HD555s, which i had for about two years and recently sold. the HD555s were great, but open headphones aren't always practical (read "only practical at home") because they are, well, open. I loved them, but they dont match up to my new SR225s, although to be fair those two headphones are in separate price brackets.  I still have the old pair or PX200s that i keep around for when i need some quality, portable, minijack headphones.

Right now I'm using a Nuforce HDP and a pair or Grado SR225is for movies, games, and music of all genres with no "real" plans to upgrade in the foreseeable future. But I'm not into portable music.

if portability is a factor, the PX200s really surprised me, I would recommend them and they fit in a glasses case or even a pocket. Of course, the SR60s have sterling reputation. OR you could save a little, read a little, and join the horde.

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 12
Check out the Denon AH-D 1001 and 2000.

If you liked the Beats you will love the Denons.

Aug 22, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #7 of 12
Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for all your replies :)
Just to answer,
I like to listen more to pop rock music.
I don't need isolation. If I get one with isolation, I'll use them outside as well, if not i'll just use them at home. Sound quality and comfort matters more to me.
My sources are going to be my ipod touch and my laptop. 

I would also like to ask about the difference with Grado SR60 and SR80, also, there had been good reviews of Audio Technica ATH-M50, how good are they? 
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to try them out! :)

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #9 of 12
The M50s were out of stock but I picked up a pair of SR60i today for 120 SGD after listening to quite a few. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint me! Currently using without amp, would be looking to buy one soon though.

Also, I noticed many people said that they burned in their headphones by playing a few days straight, however, some say that it should be gradually burned in. So exactly which is better? I also read guides where people said to first play before your normal, then your normal and than slightly above your normal volume for burning in for quite a long while. Would appreciate it a lot if someone can help me out here. Thanks! :D

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #10 of 12
The more expensive your headphone, the longer it takes to burn in, and the more difference in quality burn-in will take.

Jokes aside, just listen to your headphones regularly.  Burn in isn't something required, just something people might notice.

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
The M50s were out of stock but I picked up a pair of SR60i today for 120 SGD after listening to quite a few. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint me! Currently using without amp, would be looking to buy one soon though.

Also, I noticed many people said that they burned in their headphones by playing a few days straight, however, some say that it should be gradually burned in. So exactly which is better? I also read guides where people said to first play before your normal, then your normal and than slightly above your normal volume for burning in for quite a long while. Would appreciate it a lot if someone can help me out here. Thanks! :D

There is no specific way to burn-in. The easiest way to do so is to just play music through your headphones and the drivers will natural loosen up. I haven't experienced burn-in with the SR60i, but maybe you'll have a different outcome. If you really do want to go technical in the burn-in process, get a loop of 20-minute "pink noise" and 2 minute silence track and play them in a playlist.

BTW, get some flats or bowl pads from Stereo. Really helps with the comfort issue in the Grados. Wash them first though, to soften them.

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 12

Thanks, guess I'll just let them burn in over time then :)

Quote:

There is no specific way to burn-in. The easiest way to do so is to just play music through your headphones and the drivers will natural loosen up. I haven't experienced burn-in with the SR60i, but maybe you'll have a different outcome. If you really do want to go technical in the burn-in process, get a loop of 20-minute "pink noise" and 2 minute silence track and play them in a playlist.

BTW, get some flats or bowl pads from Stereo. Really helps with the comfort issue in the Grados. Wash them first though, to soften them.

Also, I notice a comfort issue too as well. For the pads, do you mean http://www.stereo.com.sg/store/product.php?cPath=102_458&products_id=11 ? Is there a difference with the one they came with? Would washing my current one help as well? Thanks! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back