Looking for a pair 100$ IEMs
Sep 16, 2010 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bg1987

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone.
Last week, my trusty shure E3 broke after 4 years of loyal service, (the left one plays the music half as loud, and from the looks fixing the problem would cost the same as a new pair)
So Im looking for a new pair of IEMs, for around 100$, I loved how the shure sounded, and what I loved best was their isolation, and considering I use public transport thats really important to me.

what are the suggested IEMs for 100$ with emphasis on good isolation.

P.S.
Im going to london in a few days, and I wondered if there are any shops that are worth visiting there to look for some headphones.

Thank you in advance,
Benny.

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 11
they all fit, i saw a lot of good review on the RE0 and their price is very affordable, do you happen to know of shops in london that have them?

also, I'm going to use the headphones with an iphone which is my main source of music (not very audiophile, i know =] )
i know shure have a mic extension that can control the iphone and act as a headset, do you happen to know if its universal, or are there other universal mics like these?

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 11
I'm based in Australia, so i don't know of any shops in London that may stock them. I only know of Head-Direct.com which is the official supplier anyhow.

Etymotic also have particular IEMs with an in-line remote and mic if that's what you want. I can't remember which though. 

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 11
I would suggest that you look at the Etymotic mc 5 or mc-3 models.  Either of these will fit your price point, the sound quality is the same, and you pay only for the the control and microphone functionality when you step up to the mc-3.  You will truly love the extended range at both end of the spectrum, and build quality is superb.  Both of these models also come with excellent noise isolation and an custom fit ear mold upgrade option. 

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 11
If it helps, I wrote a comparison review between the MC3 and the RE0.

General take away is, the MC3 is a great package considering the price, build quality and sheer degree of noise isolation they offer. The microphone controls are awesome to use on the iPhone, namely because (and I didn't even realise you could do this) you can control music play back through the microphone - so you never need to take your iPhone out of your pocket unless you don't want to look crazy talking to your self. ie: You can literally command your iPhone to "Play artist The Decemberists" and it will!!

They have a pretty etched, slightly dry sound, so I wouldn't recommend them if you are particularly sensitive to sibilance, or if you want a very tactile feeling of bass. Other then that they are very transparent and a nice package vs the RE0's for portable use.

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 11
are you sure you don't want to try a full-sized can from your ipod? such as the straight wire m50s.

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #8 of 11
portable use with the M50 straight cable..you kidding me? The coiled cable is long enough let alone a straight one

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 11
Also consider the RE-ZERO if there are any left. The RE0 with improved appearance and build quality and with smoother mids and less pronounced treble. Loved mine for three months odd now.

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #11 of 11
"portable use with the M50 straight cable..you kidding me? The coiled cable is long enough let alone a straight one"

hey who actually goes around with headphones anyways? when people do, i don't think they care about the grado's wire length or the monster pro's length. i was just telling him to try a pair of closed cans if he never has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back