Looking for a headphone amplifier for a pair of AKG K 701's
Aug 9, 2011 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

nami

New Head-Fier
I guess the title says it all. I'm not looking for anything special, just something that is good-looking and affordable (under 200€/175£/$285). I mostly listen to artists such as Eric Clapton, The Smashing Pumpkins, Fleetwood Mac and Counting Crows.

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 24
I would like to stick with the given budget (inc. shipping) but if there's a big improvment to be expected from choosing a bit more costy amp I guess I can just and just raise the budget by 10 or 20 euros. I live in Finland so shipping from outside of EU area can cost quite a lot.

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 24
with your budget, id say the m-stage is a good choice.. but im running my K701 from a hifiman EF-5 to give more warmth and midrange presence to the headphone.. the asgard is also pretty good with the K701

Feb 26, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 24
How about the Schiit Valhalla? Does it pair well.? I have heard comments from people saying its not powerful enough for the K701s.. however I number of people who enjoy this combo told me the opposite!!! IM going NUTS!! 

I am asking ONLY about the Valhalla!

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 24
the Valhalla is plenty powerful for the K701. What I would be unsure about is the output impedance being a mis-match... most OTL tube amplifiers have too high an output impedance for the K701, which can result in distortion and other nastiness in the bass. 

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 24

Quote:
the Valhalla is plenty powerful for the K701. What I would be unsure about is the output impedance being a mis-match... most OTL tube amplifiers have too high an output impedance for the K701, which can result in distortion and other nastiness in the bass. 

Well.. i suppose someone suggesting that it sounds good hasnt experienced any distortion.. we are merely discussing detail and dynamics here. Distortion is out of the question.

I know  that the Valhalla is normally recommended for high impedance cans, however I believe that even Jason from Schiit has mentioned that the K/Q 70Xs are an exception! I made an inquiry to Schiit myself, and received his reply saying that the Valhalla should be a good match for the K701s, however he thinks that the Lyr should drive them to their full potential.

It gets even more confusing. I thought that the Lyr will make them even worse than they actually are.. dry, analytical and bright :p 

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
I also hear that the Schiit Asgard has good synergy with the K701; it retails for $250 but not sure how much shipping will run you.

I'm from Finland and just ordered the Schiit Asgard, it's a great amp, but won't fit into your budget, because ordering from Schiit directly costs somewhere around $380 / 285€ with shipping and customs fees included.

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
Well.. i suppose someone suggesting that it sounds good hasnt experienced any distortion.. we are merely discussing detail and dynamics here. Distortion is out of the question.

I know  that the Valhalla is normally recommended for high impedance cans, however I believe that even Jason from Schiit has mentioned that the K/Q 70Xs are an exception! I made an inquiry to Schiit myself, and received his reply saying that the Valhalla should be a good match for the K701s, however he thinks that the Lyr should drive them to their full potential.

It gets even more confusing. I thought that the Lyr will make them even worse than they actually are.. dry, analytical and bright :p 

On the good recording, the K701 is okay with the Lyr however if you play a bright recording or if your upstream components are on the neutral to bright, your reasoning is right on the spot. Lyr is a good amp, there is no doubt but it does not sound like tubes and the K701/702 is extreme reveal = not a perfect match . If you are looking for warm, lust sound look somewhere else. The Lyr will drive the K 701/702 ( 50 Ohm/ 105 DB if my memory serves me well ) but your ears may not appreciate the top end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back