Look! MOONDROP's First HiFi Smartphone, MIAD01
Apr 26, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #91 of 168
I really like the 100 volume steps, it is a winner for me but in any case I don't expect a far superior sound quality of an average dongle.

My main concerns are:

- Availability outside China, support and updates (being aware it won't be the same as regular mobile brands).
- Battery drain (not mention 4.4mmBAL output not necessary for me).
- You just can't beat the seven years of firmware support by the likes of Apple, Google, and now Samsung on their s24 lineup. Any other brand's phone would lose out, never mind Moondrop.
- They claimed the battery can last more than 24 hours on balance (!). Have to wait and see if that claim holds any water.

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #92 of 168
- You just can't beat the seven years of firmware support by the likes of Apple, Google, and now Samsung on their s24 lineup. Any other brand's phone would lose out, never mind Moondrop.
- They claimed the battery can last more than 24 hours on balance (!). Have to wait and see if that claim holds any water.
It is only a $399 phone thought.

I saw there but there is a disclaimer that this was tested whilst it was in airplane mode with no other usage of the phone. One of the reasons I moved away from using my phone with a dongle besides how annoying it is to carry about is my phone battery life just suffered too much.

I am really intrigued by the MIAD01 though, but as an Apple user, I don't know if i want to move away to Android.

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #93 of 168
I'm curious how to install GMS.
Whether Play Protect Certified or not.

But if you want good battery life, Moondrop should consider adding signature spoofing like Huawei (or LineageOS) does to be able to run microG.
And of course microG is more battery efficient than GMS.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #94 of 168
I love the idea of this but living in the UK (and it's probably the same in the US and the other 5 eyes nations) there are potential issues with buying a communications device from a China based company.
One simply cannot be certain about how international relations will pan out in the future.
And any company based in China has to do what the CCP tells it to do.

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #99 of 168
So it isn't 3,5 TRRS balanced, but 3,5 TRS and unbalanced? I was confused by the headline. Thank you.
You've been absent for too long. It's 4.4mm Pentaconn for balanced, and 3.5mm TRS for SE (or TRRS if it has a mic input like most smart phones).

I am really intrigued by the MIAD01 though, but as an Apple user, I don't know if i want to move away to Android.
You don't.
I love the idea of this but living in the UK (and it's probably the same in the US and the other 5 eyes nations) there are potential issues with buying a communications device from a China based company.
One simply cannot be certain about how international relations will pan out in the future.
And any company based in China has to do what the CCP tells it to do.
I had a look at the official page and in one of the images they say "No data mining and advertising push". Anyway, to be sure, I run everything with NextDNS and check the logs to see what devices are connecting to.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #100 of 168
By saying that, you make it sound like there’s no trade offs. There are

You have a weaker SoC than most phones out there with this, a worse camera and questionable software support. (This is kinda important with security updates and Bluetooth protocol updates). Also any intensive gaming or other applications are out of the question here, the chipset is old. An iPhone SE will run circles around this chipset.

Vs a dongle you have unknown performance vs even an entry level dap like an Shanling M0. You have a much sleeker package and screen than most DAPs <$1000 by a large margin

Objectively speaking the MIAD 01 is not a bad product on paper, but it’s not going to be a genre re-defining phone or make the iPhones or Galaxys obsolete. It will make a lot of DAPs look bad though, especially if it performs adequately though
Very well said. Massive compromises as a phone. May be decent though as a DAP. Maybe they'll release a more powerful version if this one does well.

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #101 of 168
It is only a $399 phone thought.

I saw there but there is a disclaimer that this was tested whilst it was in airplane mode with no other usage of the phone. One of the reasons I moved away from using my phone with a dongle besides how annoying it is to carry about is my phone battery life just suffered too much.

I’ve been apple since the late 90’s and still have my original iPhone 3G somewhere in my cupboards, but I bought a Hiby R6 iii earlier this year purely for music as I didn’t like using dongles/mojo2 with my iPhone - it’s cool/nice to have my Hiby purely for tidal/Apple Music/1gb of sd files especially with the genuinely useful peq options and various plug ins. The android Hiby took absolutely zero time to get my head around using it after a lifetime of apple and is snappy fast enough, I’d never use an android phone though…..that’s taking things too far. :wink:

I now listen to a lot more music with the Hiby, perhaps that is still the honeymoon period of new gear but I don’t think so, recently bought Symphonium meteor’s and I’ll most likely buy the Symphonium Titans when the “new-gear-hoohaw” settles down.

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #102 of 168
It is only a $399 phone though.
Updates are even more important if it’s a pure DAP, let alone a smartphone. A smartphone, even if they use pure android will still require updates for specific stuff like the DAC, camera, antennas etc to work. I’m watching and hopeful but a smartphone is more complicated than a DAP or the Free DSP cable that they failed on app implementation.

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #103 of 168
If Apple release a big size iphone with 3.5 phone out near future, I am sure to make a jump from Android (samsung).
I keep away from Apple because it close OS.
Hope this Moondrop phones can complete to an ip6
About ip6 audio...
I do not need switch box (seen below, with all internal circutri cut, just keep the toggle to not reduction sonic quality) to found ip6 sounds good.
It can use as line out as a good dap.
I do not use any Apple products but bought this ip6 for my daughter 7years ago.
Just use a Bluetooth headphone at the time of buying, I know it sound much better than all samsung's I've used.
By comparision directly to some daps, I recognise iphone6 out put a clean, clarity sound with high level of sharpness.
It doesnt retouch or polishing the sound by adding echo, reverb, filters to make something like "holographic", 3D like.... sometimes make bass loose beating compare to ip6.

IMO the most importance is the impedance matching and driving power, not white paper measurement result.
And ip6 does not win the dap by this terms. When use for feeding an power amp, that will be a king.

20240427_095857.jpg

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #104 of 168
It'd be great and perfect to have a rugged Audiophile phone (akin to the 8849 Tank 3). Whilst there will be those who find no use for such a product, it might be the beginnings of some seriously cool tech in the near future. However, I can't stand normal phones and my lifestyle demands devices ideally be IP68/69K certified with at least a week's worth of battery. This one being a curved screen on top, no matter how great the price, makes it the deciding factor. 🎧🖖🏽🏕️

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #105 of 168

Users who are viewing this thread

Back