Look! MOONDROP's First HiFi Smartphone, MIAD01
Apr 26, 2024 at 1:45 AM Post #77 of 166
Xperia is also one of those audiophile smartphones which is very expensive. Eventhough it only sports 3.5mm

Huh... My experience with past Xperia phones were opposite. They didn't sound as good as LG or other music phones, and pictures not as good as Samsung/Apple/Google. They precisely cutting corners on Camera and DAC because they wanted people kept buying their cameras and DAP.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #78 of 166
Open "Settings" - "About device", and you may find some information.
I took a look, but unlike most DAPs, this one doesn't seem to show the DAC chip info. It's kind of like my Pixel 8 Pro's about device page, basic android. Even when I clicked on Hardware Information, it only talked about the CPU, RAM, UFS, etc.

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:00 AM Post #80 of 166
I'm not expecting anything spectacular from a $399 phone, but the prospect of not having to carry around another device besides my phone just to play music is fascinating. Hopefully, it will fare better in the sound department than a dongle; otherwise, why bother?
I think you should hope for it to actually work as a smartphone at all. Have you tried moondrops Link app? 😅

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #82 of 166
Why this vs an LG V30-60 for $60-$120?
Hopefully it sounds better. I was not impressed with V30 against Cayin Ru7 which offered much better sound. Not sure if V30 could compete with bluetooth dongle like UP4. I'm doubtful, but if this product could push to mid-tier or dongle sound as Mojo/Ru7 this would be a no brainer for me

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:15 AM Post #83 of 166
Just wanted to share that my MIAD01 has finally arrived after ordering from Taobao! I'm super excited to dive into these and see how they stack up.

I've put together an unboxing video and a few pictures to give you a closer look. Check it out below:

Can't wait to share my thoughts on it! If you have any questions or want to see anything specific, let me know.
As someone living in Asia, I'll likely buy it from Taobao too.

My biggest question will be how difficult is it to install the Google apps on it?

Apr 26, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #85 of 166
Very similar approach to the Onkyo Granbeat, many years ago:

I think the idea and design is great....but one difficulty about it is, that Moondrop will have to update the specs constantly to stay competitive, because the smartphone world is so super fast (I think this is why Onkyo eventually discontinued the Granbeat).
Another thought I have: Some people are writing here they expect this device to be more "audiophile" than current dongles (let`s say in the 100$ price bracket). I honestly don`t see a technical reason why this should be the case. Because the size and price of the audio components used for this phone should basically be the same as a dongle (the price of the phone is not super high and it is pretty thin). I think the advantage of this approach is more that you have an "all-in-one" device and don`t need to carry an extra dongle.
That said, I think the sound quality of current 100$ dongles is great 😊!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #86 of 166
Now if Samsung can get together and release something like this more advanced, with balanced output and 10000 mAh battery, wow will be a hit amoung us audiophiles.
Yes and a minimum of 2K

Apr 26, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #89 of 166
I really like the 100 volume steps, it is a winner for me but in any case I don't expect a far superior sound quality of an average dongle.

My main concerns are:

- Availability outside China, support and updates (being aware it won't be the same as regular mobile brands).
- Battery drain (not mention 4.4mmBAL output not necessary for me).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back