Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Jun 16, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #1,111 of 2,910
Once you understand how a Binaural recording works, then you will understand better why and how the Realiser works.

Binaural recordings are made using for the most part a dummy head with a mic placed where are ears are (L/R), the Realiser goes one step further by using your head and ears to help the Realiser recreate a Binaural type of signal, plus whatever magic it does.
Understanding that a Binaural recording/signal are made for use with headphones not a speaker system, to maximize how well headphones can sound.
Also understanding that headphone amps are 2Ch and designed as such and so is Binaural recordings.

As far as a DAC chip is concerned, in theory the dac chip that is in the Realiser (pcm 1794) is a good dac chip, and as most newer dac chips are overkill for even a 7.1 high end speaker system.

Yes I do like the idea of using the dac chips like the pcm 1704UK dac chip's that comes with my ADG19 DSP1v5, and yes I like the way ADG has designed this DAC. imo however is that the DSP1v5 really complements the Binaural type pf signal of the Realiser, its just to bad that ADG now only has this type of dac chip/dsp  in there very high end DAC 7.

And as far as using the Realiser goes for a speaker 7.1/5.1 system that would be a waist because of the room acoustics and the speakers that the audio plays through in your home.

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #1,112 of 2,910

Quote:
I can see why it would be amazing for movies, but I still don't understand what it provides you in games. A can like the T1 with Dolby Headphone already seems to reach as far as the game's compressed audio will allow it.

The T1 with Dolby headphone won't sound like you are playing your video games listening to the sound on the 5.1 speaker based system you took you PRIR from lie the A8 will.  Sure a lossless format like DTS MA or Dolby True HD will sound better on the A8, but dolby digital from a console will still sound good.  Put it another way Dolby headphone will give you an illusion of non specific surround sound, the realiser will sound like you are listening to a speaker based surround system even though you are listening on headphones.  If you get you PRIR done on a great system playing video games will sound like they are being played back on that system.

Quote:
I do agree with you, that would be an ideal setup. I mentioned in a post somewhere that a major problem in that theory is I do not know of a device that can decode Dolby/DTS etc, and send it out PCM over HDMI. I can not see that being a feature added to any receiver or pre-pro ever. It would be great though, it would increase sound quality of the Realiser, and also cut down on production cost as it would no longer need an AD or DA chip.

The only way I could ever see that happening is if Smyth built the device, and sold the Realiser as two separate boxes. That way when a new audio codec came out you would only need to but a new $500 decoder box, rather than another $3000 Realiser.

As for my first sentence, I was asking you why you thought the optical out was pointless. Obviously you do not, but thats the impression I had from what you said on your previous post. 

Many blu-ray players will do the decoding internally and transmit the sound as LPCM via HDMI if you set them up that way, i.e. not to bitstream the formats.  I even have $165 sony blu-ray player that will convert SACD to 176.4 pcm for transmission via HDMI (as will my Oppo BDP 95 that I use with the A8).  My older PS3 will only play DTS-MA and Dolby True HD soundtracks of blu-rays by first decoding them to LPCM (current model PS3's can bitstream though).  Am I missing something, or did you just not know they could do this?

I think a good change to the realiser, even if it didn't have HDMI for decode LPCM input, would be an HDMI output port just for transmission of the test signals.  A lot of AV processors still can only do their processing (e.g. room correction) when they receive a digital sound signal so using the analogue multi channel inputs means the user is only able to measure their system without the extra DSP processing that makes their system sound so good, even on processors that can convert the analogue in to digital, this HDMI output would by pass unecessary A/D/A conversion within the processor.   A coaxial digital output would also be good for the processed output.  I need to find a decent toslink to coax converter (I believe this conversion process could increase jitter) for the digital input on a JH3a-JH16 combo I plan to order, once the kinks have been worked out by Jerry and the team.

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #1,113 of 2,910
I did not know they could do that. A new Realiser that took digital input would be great, but I can promise you I would not buy it. I can not afford to buy another one. It would likely cost even more. You know they would not cut out the A/D and D/A chips. They would just add another feature and increase the price. Maybe in 5 years I would buy it, but there is no way that would happen anytime soon. As for the digital converter you are looking for, I use the M-Audio CO2. I have no complaints. What reason do you need one. Do you have 2 toslink sources and only one input on a DAC? Or do you have a long run that optical can not handle. You could also consider a optical switch. Most of them are cheap, but I have seen some nice ones in the $150 range. 

http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-M-AUDIO-CO2-S-PDIF-Coaxial-Optial-Converter-100385718-i1174816.gc

Quote:
Many blu-ray players will do the decoding internally and transmit the sound as LPCM via HDMI if you set them up that way, i.e. not to bitstream the formats.  I even have $165 sony blu-ray player that will even convert SACD to 176.4 pcm for transmission via HDMI (as will my Oppo BDP 95 that I use with the A8).  My older PS3 will only play DTS-MA and Dolby True HD soundtracks of blu-rays by first decoding them to LPCM (current model PS3's can bitstream though).  Am I missing something, or did you just not know they could do this?

I think a good change to the realiser, even if it didn't have HDMI for decode LPCM input, would be an HDMI output port just for transmission of the test signals.  A lot of AV processors still can only do their processing (e.g. room correction) when they receive a digital sound signal so using the analogue multi channel inputs means the user is only able to measure their system without the extra DSP processing that makes their system sound so good, even on processors that can convert the analogue in to digital, this HDMI output would by pass unecessary A/D/A conversion within the processor.   A coaxial digital output would also be good for the processed output.  I need to find a decent toslink to coax converter (I believe this conversion process could increase jitter) for the digital input on a JH3a-JH16 combo I plan to order, once the kinks have been worked out by Jerry and the team.

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #1,114 of 2,910
Yes, I know what you mean about not being able to afford another one.  I emailed Lorr a lot about this before pulling the trigger.  I didn't want to get one and then have a new version announced a month later.  I think I would have to wait 10 years before affording another one.  I think it's fantastic though and I am very glad I bought.  I have 3 young children who are asleep at night when I get to watch a movie, so I couldn't really use my speaker system, so was mainly listening on headphones using Pioneers version of Dolby Headphone.

The JH3a will only accept coaxial digital input (not toslink), I plan to get one along with the JH16s for use amongst other things with the Realiser.  So I'd need to convert the tos link to coax to do this, to avoid using the analogue in on the 3a and yet another A/D/A stage in the JH3a.  If you are not aware the JH3a uses DSP to split the signal into three frequency ranges prior to conversion to analogue for each of the 3 amps per channel for the activer version of the JH16's, so an analogue input has to be converted to digital first, similarly as the A8 does..

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #1,115 of 2,910

Quote:

The T1 with Dolby headphone won't sound like you are playing your video games listening to the sound on the 5.1 speaker based system you took you PRIR from lie the A8 will.  Sure a lossless format like DTS MA or Dolby True HD will sound better on the A8, but dolby digital from a console will still sound good.  Put it another way Dolby headphone will give you an illusion of non specific surround sound, the realiser will sound like you are listening to a speaker based surround system even though you are listening on headphones.  If you get you PRIR done on a great system playing video games will sound like they are being played back on that system.

PRIR?

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #1,116 of 2,910
PRIR is "Personal room impulse response" Basically, its the recording of the rooms characteristics based on mic's placed in your ears.

As I said, the M-Audio CO2 works well for me. There are cheaper alternatives, but they all seem to have poor construction. I wish there was a way to manually set up HPEQ for IEM. Possibly a way to download the EQ offline. IEM's should be the same for everyone as they are in your ear, but obviously they will not give a faithful recreation of the room as all IEM's have different frequency responses. While I have IEM's, I still believe that would be a nice feature. 

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #1,117 of 2,910

Quote:
CanMad said:

I need to find a decent toslink to coax converter (I believe this conversion process could increase jitter) for the digital input on a JH3a-JH16 combo I plan to order

Just in passing... for many years before I got my Yamaha AVR (in support of the Realiser), I was using an HDS4 component video switch from Zektor. This was a 4-in/1-out passive switch, with excellent specs and results.  I no longer use it, and it's up on my "dinosaur shelf for legacy products" (along with my other audio/video products from yesteryear).

Each of the 4 inputs and 1 output supported R/G/B component video as well as L/R analog audio as well as coaxial SPDIF digital audio, along with optical digital audio.

And there was a transcoding from optical to/from coaxial built into the switch, so you could use either type of digital audio on any of the 4 inputs, and get both types of digital audio output.

This could certainly be your toslink-to-coax converter (if it was 220v, which you need I believe).  I imagine a 110/220 power converter would work. 

Jun 17, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #1,119 of 2,910

Quote:
I think a future version of the Realiser with a digital input like LPCM via HDMI would be the natural next step.  :wink:

-Ed

Agreed.  It was relatively clear to me that this would indeed happen.   How much longer I would have to wait was not clear, and I didn't want to have to wait another year.  Of course if it's announced in the next couple of months I will be a little dissappointed that I didn't wait (I purchased in April).  Still the A/D in the current version seems relatively transparent, I currently use a Benchmark DAC1 for the D/A, and I already had enough quality interconnects for an analogue connection.

Jun 25, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #1,120 of 2,910
Does anybody know if it's possible to use the realiser for mixing, or would the changes applied when doing so distort the virtual effect? Considering that many changes made when mixing has an effect on phase, this might be a problem, but at the same time, if that was the case then the realiser wouldn't really be able to reproduce all kinds of signals in music as faithfully as the speakers and room it's "copying"...

Maybe I'm missing out on something.

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #1,121 of 2,910

Quote:
Does anybody know if it's possible to use the realiser for mixing, or would the changes applied when doing so distort the virtual effect? Considering that many changes made when mixing has an effect on phase, this might be a problem, but at the same time, if that was the case then the realiser wouldn't really be able to reproduce all kinds of signals in music as faithfully as the speakers and room it's "copying"...

Maybe I'm missing out on something.

Have a look at the manual: http://www.smyth-research.com/downloads/A8manual.pdf

Look for monitor bridge and the phase meters (purchased separately).

You will find everything there.

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #1,123 of 2,910
[size=12pt]I am a hi-end headphone lover from China and I am very interested in  SVS Realiser A8 which I have been followed for couple of months.[/size]  

[size=12pt]I decided to buy the product but I want to get some advice  to make me more clearly about the product.[/size]  

​
[size=14pt]Calibration[/size]  
[size=12pt]I have read your website as well as many buyers responses from Head Fi Forum, I knew that the calibration is the key factor in your product, but I still want some clarification from you;[/size]  

[size=14pt]1.[/size][size=12pt] How many default emulation included in the product? (called AIX & Mi Casa, am I wrong?)[/size]  

[size=14pt]2. [/size][size=12pt] Its hard for us to find high-end place to do calibration (of course I will do some in my friend house or personal studio but not a big cinema) Do I still have a chance to emulate a big theater or Cinema’s soundstage, for example, would it still be possible to emulate the sound field of Egyptian theater in Hollywood by just set up from remote control from SVS and get a convincing results? (I want to have a quick start to enjoy the biggest sound field from SVS)[/size]  

[size=14pt]3. [/size][size=12pt]it is  mentioned that the largest reverberation time is 850ms, if I can have quick start to enjoy the biggest sound field what will be the distance from speaker to my headphone? What is the biggest room (in M3) the product have been included?[/size]  

[size=12pt]In other words, I do not know whether the calibration is the key problem that may prevent me to enjoy any of the sound field emulation, (would I lose all of the chances to enjoy the sound field like Egyptian theater if I never had chances to go there?) or I can simply set-up on the SVS and still get a convincing results?[/size]  

​
[size=14pt]Delivery[/size]  
[size=14pt]1. [/size][size=12pt]If I order directly from Smyth Research, How long I need to wait in the waiting list? What are the payment methods and bank information?[/size]  

[size=14pt]2.[/size][size=12pt] If I order from distributors, for example, in Denmark Cyberfarm APS PRO. Media solutions, do they have stocks so I can buy directly from their shop, are their price the same as the price listed on your web? because I probably have a business trip to Denmark.[/size]  

[size=13.5pt]3.[/size][size=medium] I am in China, if I have no chance to go oversea, please suggest me a most convient way to buy the product.[/size]

[size=medium]thanks many!![/size]

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #1,124 of 2,910
1. AIX and Mi Casa are both studios people have been to, not presets. It comes with one. It does ok.

2. A lot of people do not like the sound of a movie theater. I personally do not. I find it too echoey. To have the Realiser work at its best you need to find a very nice system to copy. It does not have to be a studio or a theater. You can look around for someone with a top of the int home system. If you don't know anyone personally, you could scout around on a mainly Chinese forum, and see if you could not pay to use someones home for an hour or two. 

3. I suppose you could take the stock recording and increase the reverb time, but I doubt that is a good idea.

You definitely need a good system to emulate to get the best result, but it does not mean you have to go to the Egyptian to get the sound of a theater. If you really want that big theater sound, see if you cant work something out with nice theater in your area.

You definitely need to email to Lorr from Symth. He can likely answer all of your questions best, especially about shipping. He can also maybe tell you what it entails to record a theater sound. The Realiser has to be wired from the projection box down to your seat, so he may be able to advise you on that. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #1,125 of 2,910
Thanks for your help! Since I haven't had product in my hand, I am not clear enough about the process of the carlibration, ( I know the basic step, headphone setup and room setup, no need to explain)I have already known the the calibration is necessary for getting a good results but how about the folloing methods to get only a convincing results?

1. If a really need to have a theater sound stage or any sound stage, but no chance to visitor a theater,  I have a smaller room calibration first then I increase the reverb time,adjust EQ (I always do mixing as a sound engineer so I know how to do it) and other necessary adjustments until satisfaction?

2. Since I haven't seen the product, I simply think of just put 6 speakers in a proper position (eg +30 -30...) than I carefully adjust EQ, echo time and other necessary adjustments until I found that is the sound I want?

Please indicate which part I am wrong, it is because we only can do limited carlibration but I want unlimited carlibration to enjoy any of the sond stage through pre carlibration or EQ adjustment.

Thanks for help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back