Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
May 10, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #1,081 of 2,910
Anyone have a recommendation for an on/off speaker switch instead of using a preamp/power amp configuration? My power amp is crapping out and I'm forced to use my Denon's amp section :frowning2:

May 12, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #1,082 of 2,910
I have been looking for exactly that type of product. I have been told that some A/B speaker switches work. Here is a link I received from Eric Garci on how to use the Russound 2.2.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=17949153&postcount=194

I am currently in talks with someone about building me a box for that very purpose. I ideally want one box that controls all my speakers plus sub, not two boxes that only control speakers.

Discussions have been going on for a while, and may fall through due to the very busy schedule of the potential builder. If I hear back from him in the next week I will ask him if he is willing to build more than one. I obviously can not promise anything. If he won't, I will get you as much info about it as I can so you could have someone else build one. If it falls through all together, I will post again on my original thread with the details I have received from him, and look for someone who is willing to build multiple. 

May 16, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #1,083 of 2,910
Ok, so the last guy seems to have fallen through. I am now on the search for someone new to build be a speaker switch. If anyone else wants one post in my other thread. Maybe someone will be more willing to build one if there is more than one person interested (more money). It seems like anyone who doesn't have separate amps would need one of these, but maybe I am wrong.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/549390/please-build-me-a-speaker-switch#post_7406526

May 22, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #1,084 of 2,910
@sillysally

do you have to somehow activate the tactile output of the realiser? i connect the tactile outputs directly to a subamp and get no sound from my ibeam. when i connect the ibeam to the l/r speaker output of the avr its fine.so the ibeam is not defective.

May 23, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #1,085 of 2,910

Quote:
@sillysally

do you have to somehow activate the tactile output of the realiser? i connect the tactile outputs directly to a subamp and get no sound from my ibeam. when i connect the ibeam to the l/r speaker output of the avr its fine.so the ibeam is not defective.

Yes you need to setup the TAC by pressing the menu button then the TAC button on your Smyth remote.
Press the ok button when the arrow is pointed at the top sub menu then adjust the volume level -6 should be a good place to start.
Then press the OK button.
Now drop the arrow down to the first (left) MIX BLOCK, then press ok, now enter a value of .3 in all of the channels that are in use (to get to the second set of Channels in that mix block press ok). Once you have entered the values press ok and now repeat for second set of mix block (right).

Or you can simple turn on the headphone mix for your tactile outs by entering a value of 1 at the bottom of the first screen for TAC (headphone mix).

See page 69 in your owners manual.

May 24, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #1,086 of 2,910

sry. i should have mentioned that. of course i tried that at the very beginning. I even turn all settings up to 1.0 but still no sound. i will try to connect the pre-outs, which usually go back to the avr, connect one by one to the subamp. just to be sure there is no generell problem with signal-outgoing.  

Quote:
Yes you need to setup the TAC by pressing the menu button then the TAC button on your Smyth remote.
Press the ok button when the arrow is pointed at the top sub menu then adjust the volume level -6 should be a good place to start.
Then press the OK button.
Now drop the arrow down to the first (left) MIX BLOCK, then press ok, now enter a value of .3 in all of the channels that are in use (to get to the second set of Channels in that mix block press ok). Once you have entered the values press ok and now repeat for second set of mix block (right).

Or you can simple turn on the headphone mix for your tactile outs by entering a value of 1 at the bottom of the first screen for TAC (headphone mix).

See page 69 in your owners manual.

May 24, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #1,087 of 2,910
You did try and turn up the volume in the TAC menu > setup > VOL to say +8db ?
Also I am guessing you have the master volume on your Realiser set at -12 give or take.
Also when you setup the TAC those settings are only good for the PRIR preset that is on at the time. If you want to save the TAC settings you must open up the preset menu and hit save, otherwise the TAC shuts off the next time you start your Realiser and you have to reset the TAC for the PRIR you are using.

I don't know how your Ibeam works or how you are running your cables out. I would think you have run the R/L Ch TAC out's directly to your amp and then from your amp to your Ibeam.

Feel the Ibeam for vibration not sound.

May 24, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #1,088 of 2,910
-turned up the volume in the tac menu to even +12db
-master volume is set to -20
-there was no change in prir or standby during test and i saved the prir preset after tac-configuration
-going from from rca-tactile output to subamp rca mono input (tried both ... + and -); ibeam directly connected to the subamp

big thx 4 your help
Quote:
You did try and turn up the volume in the TAC menu > setup > VOL to say +8db ?
Also I am guessing you have the master volume on your Realiser set at -12 give or take.
Also when you setup the TAC those settings are only good for the PRIR preset that is on at the time. If you want to save the TAC settings you must open up the preset menu and hit save, otherwise the TAC shuts off the next time you start your Realiser and you have to reset the TAC for the PRIR you are using.

I don't know how your Ibeam works or how you are running your cables out. I would think you have run the R/L Ch TAC out's directly to your amp and then from your amp to your Ibeam.

Feel the Ibeam for vibration not sound.

May 27, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #1,089 of 2,910
What Stax have you guys tried with the Realiser.

I have used the LCD-2 and HE-6. They both work great, but I am having problems with the illusion of speakers. They LCD-2 clamps a bit hard. It isn't horrible but it is a constant reminder that I am wearing headphones. The same thing goes for the HE-6. It is softer and lighter but it presses on my ears some and becomes uncomfortable after an hours or two. The Stax 202 that is came with are without a doubt the most comfortable headphones I have ever put on.

I am thinking about selling my other cans and buying a new pair of stax. I am thinking the top of the line lambdas, but if I sell everything I may be able to afford a used pair of 007s. I am just thinking out loud here. I am going to try looking through the Stax section as well. I will look there to compare comfort of the lambdas to the omegas. Here I am looking for a comparison of sound quality while running through the Realiser.

I appreciate any opinions I can get.

May 27, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #1,090 of 2,910
I have another question. How do you save changes to a preset. I went to LA a few days ago to get some recordings at AIX. Everything went very well, Lorr is an awesome guy. I got home and kind of felt like the bass was on the strong side. I looked over the manual, and page 81 solved my problem. I had a combined 20db bass boost, instead of 10. I adjusted the Realiser to -10db to fix the problem. It says to save the settings I need to re-save the preset. How do I do that?

Jun 13, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #1,092 of 2,910
I have a new DAC coming in, a Audio-gd Reference 7. I am planning on using it for both my computer and Realiser. Here is a question. I have read before that optical can not carry 7.1 audio. I know that it will be decoded coming out of the Realiser, but I was wondering if that is still the case. 99% of my content is 5.1, but I would be disappointed if in order place a better DAC in the chain I had to abandon the opportunity for 7.1.

Jun 13, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #1,094 of 2,910
Thanks. That is what I assumed, but not what I wanted to hear.

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #1,095 of 2,910

Quote:
I have a new DAC coming in, a Audio-gd Reference 7. I am planning on using it for both my computer and Realiser. Here is a question. I have read before that optical can not carry 7.1 audio. I know that it will be decoded coming out of the Realiser, but I was wondering if that is still the case. 99% of my content is 5.1, but I would be disappointed if in order place a better DAC in the chain I had to abandon the opportunity for 7.1.

Not to worry, you will be go to go, running TOSlink from your Realiser to your ADG7, the TOSlink that comes with your ADG7 is very good also. If using a TOSlink in a 5.1 speaker setup you will not get loss-less audio, but that is not important when using the Realiser, plus the signal that is being sent from your Realiser is going to be in the digital domain your ADG7 will be doing the D to A conversion and then interconnects to your amp. I hope your ADG7 has DSP1v5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back