Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Sep 13, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #316 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the end, my absolute favorite headphones paired with the Realiser is the JH Audio JH13. It has the most balanced sound, and the bass frequency extension is the absolute deepest I've ever heard. Really works well with the LFE subwoofer effect. I must say, it makes for a very weird sensation to have your ears plugged up, then turn on the Realiser and hear convincing sound coming from everywhere around the "room".

-Ed

Do you find that you can wear the JH13's for extended periods with the Realiser? Or does the "plugged up" feel become fatiguing sooner than with other headphones ?

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #317 of 2,910
I'v read on a french forum that Stax headphones are not as bassy as they should be for watching a movie with a lot of lfe.
Could you confirm that ?

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #318 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmoura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you find that you can wear the JH13's for extended periods with the Realiser? Or does the "plugged up" feel become fatiguing sooner than with other headphones ?

Since I'm used to wearing custom IEM's, no. If anything, I'd nice to not have something clamping around your ears, or on top of my head. (well, when I'm not using a hair band with the Head Tracker.)

-Ed

Sep 16, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #319 of 2,910
Quote:

Speaking of the AIX Records trip.

Will be nice to meet some more Head-Fiers (and AVS Forum members) in person.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

Any updates on the AIX 7.1 trip? I'm curious how that went.

With my Realiser unit coming up in the queue soon, I'm sure I'll be making some calibration trips soon myself !

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #320 of 2,910
Got 5.1 and 7.1 PRIR's yesterday.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm heading out. I took some pics, will be posting them up later.

Impressions so far, I think I'm preferring the AIX PRIR's. It's quite different sounding than the Mi Casa one. The Mi Casa PRIR has a wider soundstage, and more up front (front speakers are closer, but wider apart). The mid bass is a little stronger with the Mi Casa PRIR, but the AIX PRIR has a bit deeper bass, at the very lowest frequencies.

The Mi Casa PRIR is warmer sounding, and the "speakers" sound larger, a little more diffuse. While the AIX PRIR has more tight, smaller area "speakers". It's easier to make out exactly where the AIX "speakers" are than the Mi Casa ones.

Also, the Mi Casa room ambiance is blacker. There is little to no room echo whatsoever, so it's more of a clean recording studio sound. The AIX room ambiance is slightly more echoey. More of a "live" sound to it. Overall room shapes for me, I feel that the AIX room sounds more narrow in width, but deeper back to front. So slightly more rectangular in shape compared to the Mi Casa's more square like shape.

Overall, I feel the Mi Casa PRIR works better with some movies and especially video games. The warmer overall sound helps with flat and lifeless sounding content.

The AIX PRIR is definitely geared more towards music and a more neutral tone. It's less forgiving than the Mi Casa room with certain content. But with content that has less compression and better quality, the AIX room sounds better than the Mi Casa room. Which makes sense as the AIX room was built with an Audiophile target, while the Mi Casa room was built with a more mass market target.

I'll be comparing them head to head more. I find myself using AIX for movies and music. Mi Casa more for games and TV (massively compresses AC3 sounds less than stellar usually)

-Ed

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #322 of 2,910
Quote:

The next batch of Realisers is being readied. So there will probably be a good chance of having a small meet at Smyth Research for getting set up, having a hands on tutorial of the Realiser's functions.

-Ed

Good news indeed! I hope my unit is in that batch.

Sep 17, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #323 of 2,910
Quote:

The next batch of Realisers is being readied. So there will probably be a good chance of having a small meet at Smyth Research for getting set up, having a hands on tutorial of the Realiser's functions.

-Ed

Nice.

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #324 of 2,910
I'm surprised that except Edwood and dsperber, nobody else made a review.
Are there only two people who own the Realizer on the forum ?

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #326 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by frenshprince /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised that except Edwood and dsperber, nobody else made a review.
Are there only two people who own the Realizer on the forum ?

The delivery of the Realizers depends on when they were ordered. Mine is coming later this month or early October I'm told. So there will be more comments soon....
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #327 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmoura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The delivery of the Realizers depends on when they were ordered. Mine is coming later this month or early October I'm told. So there will be more comments soon....
smily_headphones1.gif

Mine too
beyersmile.png
I can't wait !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back