Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Sep 26, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #331 of 2,910
Since there's a waiting list already, and Smyth Research does not ask for payment until it's ready to be delivered, there's no need to wait to put yourself on the waiting list.
wink.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #333 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long is the wait time?

I'm not sure what the wait time is at the moment. But I've been on the wait list for a few months now.

So I'd agree - best to get on the list soon !

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #334 of 2,910
What are most people doing to get their 5.1 movies decoded into multiple (5-8) separate analog outputs that can feed the SVS? I just realized that I don't think I have anything that would do that, and I still plan to get one of these someday. I suppose I could consider an Emotiva UMC-1 processor.

Sep 28, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #335 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since there's a waiting list already, and Smyth Research does not ask for payment until it's ready to be delivered, there's no need to wait to put yourself on the waiting list.
wink.gif

Darn it. I did not know that.
confused.gif

I can wait a few more days anyway. Wanting is sometimes better than having.

Sometimes
wink.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #336 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are most people doing to get their 5.1 movies decoded into multiple (5-8) separate analog outputs that can feed the SVS? I just realized that I don't think I have anything that would do that, and I still plan to get one of these someday. I suppose I could consider an Emotiva UMC-1 processor.

I had nothing either. Settled on Yamaha RX-V863 receiver, since I only needed a reasonably priced external DD/DTS decoder with analog preamp outputs that also supported the lossless codecs.

I have no loudspeakers so anything extra in the receiver relating to actual speakers is irrelevant to me. The RX-V863 was priced right (and does not run hot, as I learned the comparable Onkyo receivers do).

The Yamaha is now my A/V-switcher (including support for three HDMI inputs), supporting HDMI and replacing the Zektor HDS4 component video (and analog/digital audio) switch I used to use. It also supports other audio-only sources I've always wanted to feed through one switcher.

I also bought an Oppo BDP-83 to feed the Yamaha (via HDMI).

The only quirk relating to the Yamaha's interaction with the Realiser is the standard Yamaha "protective circuitry" which shuts it off to prevent overload (e.g. if you turn the volume up too high). Because of a voltage spike that the Realiser seems to emit when it comes out of standby, if you have the Yamaha already powered on when you turn the Realiser on the Yamaha will instantly turn itself off (i.e. to protect itself from the sudden voltage spike from the Realiser, even though the Realiser is actually being FED from the Yamaha and not the other way around). Odd, but true.

The solution is simply to remember to always turn the Realiser on first, and then the Yamaha on second... no matter what true source component I plan to use.

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #337 of 2,910
If you only had movies and content on optical discs (like DVD, BluRay, DVD Audio, SACD) then a universal player like the Oppo BDP-83 would work, since it can decode all the codecs internally and output via analog 8 channel as well.

I bought a used Emotiva DMC-1 Pre Amp / Processor (Pre/Pro). I don't have anything that outputs DD True HD or DTS HD MA, and likely the player I get that will, will be the Oppo BDP-83. I'll use the 8 Channel Analog outputs from that. Since my HDTV has plenty of HDMI inputs, I don't need to use a receiver or processor as a switch box.

The nice thing about Pre Pro's and Receivers, is that they depreciate in value like cars. Since codecs come and go so quickly (relatively speaking), people upgrade often with them. You can snag them used at a hearty discount. That's what I did. I snagged mine off of the 'gon.

-Ed

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #338 of 2,910
I just emailed Lorr and I'm now on the waitlist. Apparently their next shipment which will be in a week or so will have enough units to completely clear the current waitlist.

Woot!

I also asked about a calibration visit. Never been to sunny Cali before. Should be fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #339 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you only had movies and content on optical discs (like DVD, BluRay, DVD Audio, SACD) then a universal player like the Oppo BDP-83 would work, since it can decode all the codecs internally and output via analog 8 channel as well.

I bought a used Emotiva DMC-1 Pre Amp / Processor (Pre/Pro). I don't have anything that outputs DD True HD or DTS HD MA, and likely the player I get that will, will be the Oppo BDP-83. I'll use the 8 Channel Analog outputs from that. Since my HDTV has plenty of HDMI inputs, I don't need to use a receiver or processor as a switch box.

The nice thing about Pre Pro's and Receivers, is that they depreciate in value like cars. Since codecs come and go so quickly (relatively speaking), people upgrade often with them. You can snag them used at a hearty discount. That's what I did. I snagged mine off of the 'gon.

-Ed

I actually have a Samsung SACD/DVD player, but everyone says that it needs to be modded to sound decent out of the analog outputs - I have only used it for DVD with optical out into a sony audio video receiver, but it could be used for this. I have read good things about the Oppo and it would be cheaper than the Emotiva UMC-1 pre-pro which is $699 new.

But, those are both just one more thing to add to the $2600 - $3000 for SVS (depending on leaving out the SR-202 or not, which is well below the stat rig I already have). I'm starting to think that the money (if I had it right now) could be well spent just upgrading to an Oppo and new speakers in my home theater, which is in the basement and doesn't bother anyone upstairs. Then I wouldn't need the SVS in my bedroom to watch movies at night without bothering my wife.

My main interest in SVS for headphones was to get an out of head listening experience with my 2 channel music on headphones, not just with movies.

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #340 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just emailed Lorr and I'm now on the waitlist. Apparently their next shipment which will be in a week or so will have enough units to completely clear the current waitlist.

Woot!

I also asked about a calibration visit. Never been to sunny Cali before. Should be fun
smily_headphones1.gif

If you're going to make a trip to Southern California, definitely ask Lorr to set up an AIX Records visit.

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #342 of 2,910
Hi Edwood and Dsperber

I need a little favor
tongue_smile.gif

Could someone of you take a picture of the power supply, and post it on this topic ?
I have to order one on 230v, but I need the technical information to be sure to not make mistake.

A picture like this would be perfect :
96496760.jpg

Thank you very much
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back