Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Oct 23, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #361 of 2,910
Update: mine ships tomorrow!
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #365 of 2,910
Yes. I highly recommend AIX. I prefer my AIX PRIR to my Mi Casa ones. Better channel separation and clarity, deeper soundstage, and larger frequency response. LFE bass in particular extends deeper.

Also, AIX is usually willing to do both 5.1 and 7.1 in the same session, be sure to ask for that.

-Ed

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #367 of 2,910
It takes maybe 20 minutes, with the longer sweeps which supposedly do a better job. And then there are the redos if something goes wrong (outside noise, earphone not in right, cable of earphone scraping on chest-microphonic) or it doesn't sound right, so it can take a bit longer than that. All the things I mentioned there that could go wrong did go wrong at MiCasa, but this was the first real calibration session with new customers at MiCasa.

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #368 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update: mine ships tomorrow!
biggrin.gif

Good news! Mine is now ready for pickup. I'll be working with Lorr on a day to fly down to Smyth to get the orientation and calibration at Smyth.

After that, time to book some studio times - and of course, enjoy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #369 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. I highly recommend AIX. I prefer my AIX PRIR to my Mi Casa ones. Better channel separation and clarity, deeper soundstage, and larger frequency response. LFE bass in particular extends deeper.

Also, AIX is usually willing to do both 5.1 and 7.1 in the same session, be sure to ask for that.

-Ed

Ah, now that's very cool! I definitely want both 5.1 and 7.1.

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #370 of 2,910
Just in passing...

I heard from Lorr today that a very special opportunity has come up, to get a calibration at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. The result would be to capture a large auditorium on the Realiser, which is obviously a very very different sound than the usual home theater or AIX/MiCasa studios. I think it would be very exciting to watch a movie on your HDTV in your bedroom while listening to the sound "inside a large movie theater".

Because of the setup involved (e.g. running long cables from projection room down to the first row of the balcony, where the "sweet spot" is and where the calibration would be performed, he wants to arrange for at least three of us to be there at the same time.

I've indicated my interest (same $200 for the session) to Lorr. Hopefully at least two others who are interested can also be confirmed, and then we can work out a mutually acceptable date/time that is compatible with Egyptian availability.

Note that this is not the usual 5.1 or 7.1 setup... but rather an "auditorium". Apparently the front speakers are behind the screen, and are closer together (+/- 18 degrees) than the usual placement (+/- 30 degrees). The surround speakers are just like in most theaters, on the walls and behind you... and elevated from your listening position. According to Lorr the Realiser captures the environment (including considerable reverb) wonderfully.

Although the comparison isn't entirely valid, I would venture to characterize this as "DH3" using Dolby Headphone terminology.

Oct 24, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #371 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsperber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just in passing...

I heard from Lorr today that a very special opportunity has come up, to get a calibration at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. The result would be to capture a large auditorium on the Realiser, which is obviously a very very different sound than the usual home theater or AIX/MiCasa studios. I think it would be very exciting to watch a movie on your HDTV in your bedroom while listening to the sound "inside a large movie theater".

Because of the setup involved (e.g. running long cables from projection room down to the first row of the balcony, where the "sweet spot" is and where the calibration would be performed, he wants to arrange for at least three of us to be there at the same time.

I've indicated my interest (same $200 for the session) to Lorr. Hopefully at least two others who are interested can also be confirmed, and then we can work out a mutually acceptable date/time that is compatible with Egyptian availability.

Note that this is not the usual 5.1 or 7.1 setup... but rather an "auditorium". Apparently the front speakers are behind the screen, and are closer together (+/- 18 degrees) than the usual placement (+/- 30 degrees). The surround speakers are just like in most theaters, on the walls and behind you... and elevated from your listening position. According to Lorr the Realiser captures the environment (including considerable reverb) wonderfully.

Although the comparison isn't entirely valid, I would venture to characterize this as "DH3" using Dolby Headphone terminology.

I told Lorr I'm in for this one as well !

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #373 of 2,910
In case you hadn't seen this month's Widescreen Review, there is an ENORMOUS!!! article (i.e. 16 pages!!!!!) by Gary Reber on SVS. Huge interview with Stephen Smyth and lots of other aspects of the technology.

"A Revolutionary Virtual Surround Headphone Technology"

This was the same mag where I first found out about SVS in 2004, and this is the same author... five years later.

I haven't read it yet, but it's definitely a 16-page WOW!!!

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #374 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsperber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In case you hadn't seen this month's Widescreen Review, there is an ENORMOUS!!! article (i.e. 16 pages!!!!!) by Gary Reber on SVS. Huge interview with Stephen Smyth and lots of other aspects of the technology.

"A Revolutionary Virtual Surround Headphone Technology"

This was the same mag where I first found out about SVS in 2004, and this is the same author... five years later.

I haven't read it yet, but it's definitely a 16-page WOW!!!

Unfortunately the local Barnes & Noble only has the prior month's issue (September) on the newsstands. That one has an interesting article on the difference between DTS and Dolby 7.1 standards.

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #375 of 2,910
I have been following this thread and any info I could find on the SVS technology since I first read the article in Widescreen back in 2004. As an apartment dweller I cannot employ and do not own a speaker based home theater system. I do not my residential situation to change so I am resigned to going without speakers. I have used the wired version of the AKG Hearo 999 (now discontinued) and a set of Sennheiser HD600 headphones with a Zu headphone cable for my video and movie watching. This has been the best compromise I could achieve and I have found it to be more satisfying than the other attempts that I have sampled.
For two channel, I use the Headroom desktop amp with the home electronic module,Max dac,stepped attenuator,desktop power supply and a pair of akg 701's. I am a believer in clean AC so my TV system is connected to a BPT-3 balanced power transformer which is connected to a Monster AVS 2000 that is connected to the wall outlet. The two channel in my study is connected to a BPT- 1 that is connected to a second Monster AVS 2000 that is connected to the wall outlet.
After years of enjoying dvds on my direct view sony xbr2 with an up scaling (via component video) Zenith dvd318 as a source. I am getting ready to upgrade to a flat panel display and bluray. Hence my interest in the Realiser. The Realiser will be my substitute for the home theater I would build if I owned a detached home and I will have to journey from Chicago to LA for calibration, so I wanted to get some advice on maximizing my experience with the Realiser. Any suggestions on amp or processor selections?
I am considering the Sennheiser HD 800 for my next head phone purchase. Has anyone tried the Realiser with this headphone?

Thanks in advance. I have really appreciated the information provided in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back