Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Sep 10, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #286 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I win real money. You haven't actually heard the Smyth SVS Realiser before IN PERSON.

That's really mature, bro.

Quote:

Also, again, you are incorrect. The Smyth Realiser takes up to 8 channels of separate audio signals and processes them.

Name some albums that are recorded with 8 channels, please.

Quote:

It does not take 2 Channel Stereo and magically recreate multi-channel sound.

-Ed

Come on man, do you really think a DSP is magic? Have you got any idea what a DSP even is?

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #287 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spraj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard this Stereo -> 5.1 DSP though?

Maybe I'm having some trouble choking down the price tag. I just don't see the importance of this, at all.

Some people can afford filet mignon steak, and others can only afford McDonald's hamburgers.

Makes sense. Why would something that someone could not afford be important to them?

Doesn't mean that a Ferrari is not a faster car than a Honda Civic just because one can't afford it.

The real importance is that Smyth Research is not a hardware company. They are the company that invented codecs like DTS. They are a software company first and foremost. I would like to see the SVS Codec show up in mass marketed products from companies like Tritton and Logitech. It doesn't need all the sheer bells and whistles that the SVS Realiser has. It's important to realize (no pun intended) that the Smyth SVS Realiser is a Statement product. It's meant to show off and prove a concept, and hopefully the technology will trickle down to more mass marketed products.

The virtual speaker effect alone is convincing enough, and far superior to all the other so-called headphone virtual surround systems out there. I've heard quite a few personally, and the SVS Realiser is simply the best and most convincing I've heard.

-Ed

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #289 of 2,910
Quote:

That's really mature, bro.

I'm just hammering the point through about the fact that you are dismissing and judging something you've never experienced for yourself. You don't seem to get it.

Quote:

Name some albums that are recorded with 8 channels, please.

Hmmmm. Let's see. There these things called DVD Audio, Super Audio CD, and other than music, there are things called Movies. They originally come from movie theaters with more than 2 speakers, and call me crazy, but people at home have these things called Home Theaters with more than 2 Speakers.

Quote:

Come on man, do you really think a DSP is magic? Have you got any idea what a DSP even is?

I heard the SVS Realiser in person and bought one, and use it almost every day. I know what I hear.

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #290 of 2,910
Quote:

The technology has been around for a while. Also, how much are they paying you to say all this, or are they just going to give you a Realiser?

Nice try. Again, you don't even read before you type. If you had bothered to check any part of these threads rather than just spamming them with useless garbage, you'd see that I already bought one a few months ago. I could show you my sales receipt. Don't feel like feeding a troll today.

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #291 of 2,910
Quote:

Hmmmm. Let's see. There these things called DVD Audio, Super Audio CD, and other than music, there are things called Movies. They originally come from movie theaters with more than 2 speakers, and call me crazy, but people at home have these things called Home Theaters with more than 2 Speakers.

DVD Audio can store up to 6 channels and SACD can store up to 6 channels, they are both however, VERY RARE to find in anything other than 2 channels.

Quote:

Nice try. Again, you don't even read before you type. If you had bothered to check any part of these threads rather than just spamming them with useless garbage, you'd see that I already bought one a few months ago. I could show you my sales receipt. Don't feel like feeding a troll today.

Now that's just not fair. I have a differing opinion, sure. But you can't just go off and call me a troll.

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #292 of 2,910
Quote:

The technology has been around for a while....

I've heard it. This technology has not been around for a while--at least it's certainly not like anything I've ever heard. I watched many a dropped jaw as people exited the Smyth demo.

Quote:

....Also, how much are they paying you to say all this, or are they just going to give you a Realiser?

Quote:

....But you can't just go off and call me a troll.

When you act like one, what do you expect?

Consider this an in-thread formal warning.

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #293 of 2,910
Quote:

DVD Audio can store up to 6 channels and SACD can store up to 6 channels, they are both however, VERY RARE to find in anything other than 2 channels.

True. It sucks that even with downloadable content (like from iTrax.com and HDTracks.com to name a few) the amount of multichannel audio is few and far between. BTW, the 8th channel is for LFE, most used for movies and games. Speaking of which, it's Movies and Games that I use the Realiser for. I prefer to listen to most of my music in pure 2 channel headphones.

Quote:

Now that's just not fair. I have a differing opinion, sure. But you can't just go off and call me a troll.

Perfectly fair. You accused me of being paid for my posting about the Smyth SVS Realiser and/or being provided one for free. Both false.

That is in fact, trolling.

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #295 of 2,910
Before you get offended, please realize that you're not quite correct...they just haven't really pointed out why. It's not the same as any old stereo to 5.1 DSP because it customizes to your ears and also to the environment. Do you have a DSP that does either of those? Can your DSP load a configuration for a set of Magnepans in your living room or the monitoring room at Abbey Road studios? Does your DSP change itself based on who is using it? I hope you realize your DSP is using an "average ear" which will never ever be as good as a "custom ear". You do know we all have different ears, right?

I'm all for questioning something you think is overpriced, just please know what the heck you're talking about. You were called out because you don't. You don't even understand some of the most basic features on the device and you're trying to put it down. Color me unimpressed.

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #296 of 2,910
Hearing is believing...

If I hadn't heard the SVS and somebody tells me that I wouldn't be able to distinguish whether I'm listening to a headphone or speakers, I would tell them that they're insane too.

However, I HAVE heard the SVS and I wasn't able to tell a difference.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #297 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not the same as any old stereo to 5.1 DSP because it customizes to your ears and also to the environment.

True, and the Realiser is not even a stereo-to-5.1 DSP. It actually goes the other way, as a 5.1-to-stereo DSP. The output is always stereo (i.e., a signal for the left ear only, and a signal for the right ear only), which your brain then interprets as sounding like 5.1.

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #298 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hearing is believing...

If I hadn't heard the SVS and somebody tells me that I wouldn't be able to distinguish whether I'm listening to a headphone or speakers, I would tell them that they're insane too.

However, I HAVE heard the SVS and I wasn't able to tell a difference.

Fair enough. We hear what we hear.

FWIW, the CanJam room was a pretty poor room sound quality wise. My Mi Casa recording studio measurement is much much better. I'm looking forward to the upcoming 7.1 AIX Records studio measurements.

Does it match every speaker 100%, IMO no. But it's very close, like 90-95% depending on the speakers. It's mainly the sub frequencies that can feel a little off. The Crowson tactile tranducers help greatly, but it's just not going to reproduce the exact full body resonance from the very low bass frequencies of real subwoofers. Unless Smyth Research comes up with a haptic feedback full body suit in the future.
tongue.gif

The real point of the SVS Realiser is that you can use it in situations where using speakers is not feasible or practical. Of course it would be better to have a full speaker set up. But as experienced speaker listeners know, the room is just as important as the hardware itself.

And as for price, yeah, it's very expensive for a small electronics box. But I look at it this way. I would literally need to spend at least $1.5 Million to get the same experience with speakers where I live. (sure I can move to the middle of nowhere, but I don't want to) $1Million for the house. $500k for the custom theater room and speaker equipment. Even then, I wouldn't be able to listen to it cranked to 11 with a 2 year old toddler sleeping in the next room.
wink.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back