Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
May 26, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #9,617 of 13,434
  Some impressions of update to Csg Siemens with LD MK3:

Thanks to fellow head-fiers on this thread for instructions and tips for this update. So far I have been impressed by these tubes. For about $150, I consider this to be a significant and worthy update.

As compared to some tubes I used previously, the C3gs produce an overall fuller sound, closer to what I get from three vintage receivers. I have been primarily using HD650 and Sony CD3000 for testing. The fullness seems to result from both an extension of dynamic range and an expansion of sound stage. For the former, the enhancement of bass is very obvious. The quality and texture of the bass are nice too. More to my pleasure, the trebles are improved too---the hotness and clipping I heard before with some other tubes are gone. This may come from both an extension of high frequency range or some roll-off or both. Anyway, I am pleased with the overall sound signature. 

At this point, with the Csgs, I have no desire to explore other tubes. As some head-fiers noted, this may indeed be an, if not the, ultimate update with the LD MK3. Though I have been using headphones with vintage receivers  a lot lately, the LD with C3gs still offers some tube joy: that fresh, smooth, and 3-D sound effects. The other day I got a chance to audit a Fisher 500c. Though the unit has been restored, there were noises between the songs and during the songs. So I was not convinced that the Fisher would be a worthy and practical update to the LD (I am sure a perfect working Fisher would be much better, but it will need both significant money and good luck to get such a unit).

Other observations: The C3gs, covered with metal, do not give that charming tube glow. They run pretty hot. There are some minor noises which I am not sure the source of. Could the tubes need more hours of burn-in? Or the 7-pin socket saver is not that good in construction: unclean pins and so on. I did try to scratch the pins and apply some deoxit. Maybe more cleaning is needed.

Overall, I am pleased with the C3gs. They are the most significant update and improvement of the LD MK3 I have ever experienced.

Edit (5/25/2015): I thoroughly scratched and deoxited the pins of both socket savers. This seems to completely get rid of the noise. The LD and C3gs sound really clean and nice now.

Hi TomNC.

So glad to see another pleased convert to the C3g...I suspected a long while ago now this tube could become a prime candidate for our LDs, but I never thought it would reach the star status it truly deserves. It is now also doing incredible wonders for my Feliks-Audio Elise...an amazing tube to be sure...

And as mordy says, upgrading to 6AS7G/6080 powers REALLY shows their magic, lol!! 
wink_face.gif

May 26, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #9,618 of 13,434
  Hi i luvmusic 2,

I think I have three sizes of 6SN7 tubes as well - don't think that the size makes one tube sound better than another, but it could help in distinguishing which tube to buy if there are several choices from the same manufacturer, and one iteration may sound better.

There is a lot of hype out there from professional sellers, claiming that this color base or this size, or this special treatment of the tube, make for the best sounding tubes. The truth is that some of the best sounding tubes are inexpensive and plentiful, but of course, they don't give you any bragging rights....

Since each channel is completely independent from the other in the LD, you could run as 12SN7 and a 6SN7 together as power tubes, with the appropriate external voltage supply for the 12SN7. Wouldn't worry about running different brands together either. Sometimes running two different tubes will produce a synergy that is better sounding than a pair of the same tube.

Thanks Mordy!

I should try that specially i have more 12SN7 than 6SN7 due to their price difference.

Thanks Again!

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #9,619 of 13,434
Hey guys, quick question. I don't have a tube amp but I'm planning to get one in the future. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but my local antique store has a few tubes for $4-$5. Are these worth picking up for anything?

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #9,620 of 13,434
You can only use certain tubes with a specific amp. So if you buy any tubes, make sure that you can use them in the amp you purchase. And if you buy yourself a bunch of random tunes, chances are that only one pair will work with the amp you decide to purchase. So just be aware of that.

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #9,621 of 13,434
  Hey guys, quick question. I don't have a tube amp but I'm planning to get one in the future. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but my local antique store has a few tubes for $4-$5. Are these worth picking up for anything?

We can only see one tube number and cant use it in LITTLEDOT amps dont no about the others cant see any numbers go on page 77 several types there or start reading thread from the end for more ideas and tube types there's also page 585 tubes there  for use with adapters.

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #9,622 of 13,434
Yep it'd be better if you study the basic on tubes first (it don't take much time and the people at Head-fi are really helpful). But to save time, please tell us the name of your LD model?

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #9,623 of 13,434
Hiya...

So... I'm waiting for LD i+ delivery. While waiting for my LD i+ to arrive, I just started reading LD i+ manual as well. and will read more on this thread on the coming days. For now... I've got 3 things I'd like to ask...

The most important thing 1) How often do I need to clean tube pins with that deoxIT spray?
Which deoxIT spray exactly do I need to get? There are 4 series I saw on their website...

2) If i buy NOS tubes, in average, how many years / hours will it last? What are the signs of tubes nearing it's end-of-life?

3) What should I pay attention to when buying NOS tubes from eBay? I just checked a 6ak5 I think, and the prices ranges from $11 per pair to $55 per pair. What should I pay attention to, to know which one I should get from the same say, Siemens 6ak5?

4) If a tube series, say 6ak5 has 2 or 3 manufacturers, Siemens, Tung-Sol, and [Insert Name here]. Will all three sounds the same or all three will sound different?

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #9,624 of 13,434
  Hiya...

So... I'm waiting for LD i+ delivery. While waiting for my LD i+ to arrive, I just started reading LD i+ manual as well. and will read more on this thread on the coming days. For now... I've got 3 things I'd like to ask...

The most important thing 1) How often do I need to clean tube pins with that deoxIT spray?
Which deoxIT spray exactly do I need to get? There are 4 series I saw on their website...

2) If i buy NOS tubes, in average, how many years / hours will it last? What are the signs of tubes nearing it's end-of-life?

3) What should I pay attention to when buying NOS tubes from eBay? I just checked a 6ak5 I think, and the prices ranges from $11 per pair to $55 per pair. What should I pay attention to, to know which one I should get from the same say, Siemens 6ak5?

4) If a tube series, say 6ak5 has 2 or 3 manufacturers, Siemens, Tung-Sol, and [Insert Name here]. Will all three sounds the same or all three will sound different?

Here are some answers to your questions:

1. You only need to use that spray if there is a serious amount of oxidation on the tubes.  you probably don't need it.  Most tubes will have a little discoloration on them, and that is normal.  Sometimes, I use a little rubbing alcohol applied to a q-tip to clean the pins.

2. That is hard to say.  Tubes usually come in 2 flavors, Consumer or Mil Spec.  The military tubes can last for more than 5000 hours of use.  The consumer tubes can last just as long, but typically not.  It varies.  You can tell when a tube starts to go bad by the way it sounds when you are listening to music.  They just don't sound as good.

3.  When you buy tubes, you want to make sure they have been tested.

4.  The tubes all have different sound signatures.  My Mullard cv 4015's sound better than my GE JAN5654W.  There are many factors, condition of the tube, date of manufacture, etc.  It takes at least 20 hours for tubes to cook.  They may sound bad at first, but start to get better.  My Mullards took more than 50 hours to sound good.  Take a look at the first page for tube recommendations.

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #9,625 of 13,434

I substantially agree with Mimart 7 :)

1) I have never used the deoxit product on Little Dot tubes. That said, in another amp, I have found it to be very helpful with octal power tubes. With Little Dot tubes, I have borrowed a technique from Mordy. I use the back, or dull side, of an Exacto knife blade and scrape the pins to clean them. However, this is usually not necessary, only with tubes that seem unduly noisy. And sometimes it helps... and sometimes it doesn't.

2) Most of these tubes will last thousands of hours. However, if you roll tubes like I do, with hundreds of tubes to choose from, it will take several lifetimes to get that many hours on any one single pair. lol :)

3) Matched pairs are a waste of money. Further, as nearly all the standard LD tubes on eBay are NOS, it is the integrity of the seller that is more of a concern than the quality of the tubes.

Which ones to get? The reviews at the beginning of this thread, and the LD 1+ thread might be helpful. (Another hint: use the search function located at the top and bottom of these forums.)

4) And yes, tubes manufactured in different factories by different companies will sound different. And in fact, tubes manufactured in the same factory, but at different times, will often sound different.

Happy rolling! :)

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #9,626 of 13,434
I have some Tung-Sol 6AK5 coming next week.  They made in 1945.  I also have a pair of Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV.  I'm looking forward to cooking them, and having even more audio goodness.  Thankfully, these purchases are easy enough to hide from the wife.

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #9,627 of 13,434
  I have some Tung-Sol 6AK5 coming next week.  They made in 1945.  I also have a pair of Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV.  I'm looking forward to cooking them, and having even more audio goodness.  Thankfully, these purchases are easy enough to hide from the wife.

mimart7, (and Gibosi)...

thank you both for your answers. This LD i+ is going to be my first tube so I appreciate your guys answers. I've been narrowing my options to three or four tubes as well. The 6ak5, the 6zh1p-ev, the cv4010, and the 6am6.

Okay one more follow-up question. I don't live in the US so our ebay seller listings will most likely not going to be the same. On mine, I've just searched Tung-Sol 6ak5 just now, the prices varies 24, 28, 33, and 35 USD... one or two listings even list them at 5 and 11 USD.

1) That's where I'm confused... what should I pay attention to, in the ebay sellers descriptions... that justifies their widely varied price differences?
The 24, and 28 USD even comes from the same seller. Why the price difference and how do I know which Tung-Sol 6ak5 I should buy?

2) by the way, can I ask you the sellers where you buy both your 6zh1p-ev and you 6ak5 for reference?

regards...
-Rovopio-

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #9,628 of 13,434
  Okay one more follow-up question. I don't live in the US so our ebay seller listings will most likely not going to be the same. On mine, I've just searched Tung-Sol 6ak5 just now, the prices varies 24, 28, 33, and 35 USD... one or two listings even list them at 5 and 11 USD.

1) That's where I'm confused... what should I pay attention to, in the ebay sellers descriptions... that justifies their widely varied price differences?
The 24, and 28 USD even comes from the same seller. Why the price difference and how do I know which Tung-Sol 6ak5 I should buy?

2) by the way, can I ask you the sellers where you buy both your 6zh1p-ev and you 6ak5 for reference?

When searching for tubes, I use the worldwide setting on the left, so I think I see many of the same sellers.

1) If the tubes are all NOS, I suggest you go for the cheapest. It is sometimes hard to know why one seller lists a pair for $35 and another for $5. But if they seem to be about the same, I always go for the cheapest ones. :)

2) It has been several years since I last purchased a 6ak5. In my opinion, the 6HM5 made by EI in Yugoslavia are better and they work in the EF95 setting. Many of us have purchased from this vendor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6HM5-EC900-EI-Yugoslavia-NOS-matched-pair-Little-Dot-Amp-/251765500700?

Jun 20, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #9,629 of 13,434

When searching for tubes, I use the worldwide setting on the left, so I think I see many of the same sellers.

1) If the tubes are all NOS, I suggest you go for the cheapest. It is sometimes hard to know why one seller lists a pair for $35 and another for $5. But if they seem to be about the same, I always go for the cheapest ones. :)

2) It has been several years since I last purchased a 6ak5. In my opinion, the 6HM5 made by EI in Yugoslavia are better and they work in the EF95 setting. Many of us have purchased from this vendor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6HM5-EC900-EI-Yugoslavia-NOS-matched-pair-Little-Dot-Amp-/251765500700?

Do you own Voshkod 6zh1p-ev,  gibosi?
Do you still remember the ebay sellers / links you bought it from?

ps: Even with Worldwide option, not all sellers listed every country in the world. If they don't list the South Asia contry country I live in, it still won't appear on my eBay listing. I originally have a Japan address so that's less of a problem for me personally, as long as I set my eBay primary shipping to address to my old Japan's address.
But that is neither here nor there.

I think from my short reading, I'm mostly interested on Voshkod 6zh and the 6ak5, so by extension, your recommended 6hm5 as well... I'm going to continue reading more since the LD i+ won't reach me until the end of the month... customs and everything.

Jun 20, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #9,630 of 13,434

Do you own Voshkod 6zh1p-ev,  gibosi?
Do you still remember the ebay sellers / links you bought it from?

ps: Even with Worldwide option, not all sellers listed every country in the world. If they don't list the South Asia contry country I live in, it still won't appear on my eBay listing. I originally have a Japan address so that's less of a problem for me personally, as long as I set my eBay primary shipping to address to my old Japan's address.
But that is neither here nor there.

I think from my short reading, I'm mostly interested on Voshkod 6zh and the 6ak5, so by extension, your recommended 6hm5 as well... I'm going to continue reading more since the LD i+ won't reach me until the end of the month... customs and everything.

I can highly recommend the 6HM5's over the other two as well. They are a far superior tube in the little dot, and they're cheap as well. You wont regret it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back