Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
May 19, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #9,601 of 13,434
  I have a question. Do any of you who have the GE 5654 JAN notice that the pins are very stiff and are hard to socket? I can't get mine flush and there is a little gap between the bottom of the tube and the plate. Is this going to pose any long term problems or is a small gap ok?

That little gap is not a problem. Relax and enjoy. :)

May 23, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #9,604 of 13,434

Anyone tried TALL BOTTLE 6SN7's Power tubes for the  LD MK's?

What are you defining as "tall bottle"?  

I have run TS "Mouse Ears:, NU Black Glass, and Ken-Rad VT-231s which are all taller than the Sylvania GTBs, I also have, for example.

-Mark in St. Louis

I have a 12SN7 tall bottle and this one is taller than all of the tubes that i have,I compared them side by side i end up having 3 different height  the tallest one is this 12SN7.The problem is i only have singles of those 12SN7 tall bottles from different manufacturers.

May 23, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #9,605 of 13,434
   I have a 12SN7 tall bottle and this one is taller than all of the tubes that i have,I compared them side by side i end up having 3 different height  the tallest one is this 12SN7.The problem is i only have singles of those 12SN7 tall bottles from different manufacturers.

12 volt tubes? I assume you are using a 12 volt power supply?

But still, I have no idea which tubes you are talking about....  Pictures are worth a thousand words. :)

May 23, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #9,606 of 13,434

12 volt tubes? I assume you are using a 12 volt power supply?

But still, I have no idea which tubes you are talking about....  Pictures are worth a thousand words. :)

Yes i'am using a external PS,The tall bottle are listed in ebay and they are a bit pricey than the short bottles.
I'am not sure if it is worth the money to get those so called tall bottle.

May 24, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #9,609 of 13,434
Some impressions of update to Csg Siemens with LD MK3:

Thanks to fellow head-fiers on this thread for instructions and tips for this update. So far I have been impressed by these tubes. For about $150, I consider this to be a significant and worthy update.

As compared to some tubes I used previously, the C3gs produce an overall fuller sound, closer to what I get from three vintage receivers. I have been primarily using HD650 and Sony CD3000 for testing. The fullness seems to result from both an extension of dynamic range and an expansion of sound stage. For the former, the enhancement of bass is very obvious. The quality and texture of the bass are nice too. More to my pleasure, the trebles are improved too---the hotness and clipping I heard before with some other tubes are gone. This may come from both an extension of high frequency range or some roll-off or both. Anyway, I am pleased with the overall sound signature. 

At this point, with the Csgs, I have no desire to explore other tubes. As some head-fiers noted, this may indeed be an, if not the, ultimate update with the LD MK3. Though I have been using headphones with vintage receivers  a lot lately, the LD with C3gs still offers some tube joy: that fresh, smooth, and 3-D sound effects. The other day I got a chance to audit a Fisher 500c. Though the unit has been restored, there were noises between the songs and during the songs. So I was not convinced that the Fisher would be a worthy and practical update to the LD (I am sure a perfect working Fisher would be much better, but it will need both significant money and good luck to get such a unit).

Other observations: The C3gs, covered with metal, do not give that charming tube glow. They run pretty hot. There are some minor noises which I am not sure the source of. Could the tubes need more hours of burn-in? Or the 7-pin socket saver is not that good in construction: unclean pins and so on. I did try to scratch the pins and apply some deoxit. Maybe more cleaning is needed.

Overall, I am pleased with the C3gs. They are the most significant update and improvement of the LD MK3 I have ever experienced.

Edit (5/25/2015): I thoroughly scratched and deoxited the pins of both socket savers. This seems to completely get rid of the noise. The LD and C3gs sound really clean and nice now.

May 24, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #9,610 of 13,434

Thanks to fellow head-fiers on this thread for instructions and tips for this update. So far I have been impressed by these tubes. For about $150, I consider this to be a significant and worthy update.

As compared to some tubes I used previously, the C3gs produce an overall fuller sound, closer to what I get from three vintage receivers. I have been primarily using HD650 and Sony CD3000 for testing. The fullness seems to result from both an extension of dynamic range and an expansion of sound stage. For the former, the enhancement of bass is very obvious. The quality and texture of the bass are nice too. More to my pleasure, the trebles are improved too---the hotness and clipping I heard before with some other tubes are gone. This may come from both an extension of high frequency range or some roll-off or both. Anyway, I am pleased with the overall sound signature. 

At this point, with the Csgs, I have no desire to explore other tubes. As some head-fiers noted, this may indeed be an, if not the, ultimate update with the LD MK3. Though I have been using headphones with vintage receivers  a lot lately, the LD with C3gs still offers some tube joy: that fresh, smooth, and 3-D sound effects. The other day I got a chance to audit a Fisher 500c. Though the unit has been restored, there were noises between the songs and during the songs. So I was not convinced that the Fisher would be a worthy and practical update to the LD (I am sure a perfect working Fisher would be much better, but it will need both significant money and good luck to get such a unit).

Other observations: The C3gs, covered with metal, do not give that charming tube glow. They run pretty hot. There are some minor noises which I am not sure the source of. Could the tubes need more hours of burn-in? Or the 7-pin socket saver is not that good in construction: unclean pins and so on. I did try to scratch the pins and apply some deoxit. Maybe more cleaning is needed.

Overall, I am pleased with the C3gs. They are the most significant update and improvement of the LD MK3 I have ever experienced.

I'm glad you like the C3G's but what power tubes are you running?

May 24, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #9,611 of 13,434

If cleaning pins im shure you've read to be very careful removing tube from socket as they are very fragile and tend to break                                    

May 24, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #9,612 of 13,434
@-MisterX-

Power tubes are 6N6P-IR. These are the only update I have had with power tubes. I got them partially for their reported longevity---10k hours.

@MIKELAP

Thanks for the reminder. The C3gs are NOS. The C3g to 6AK5 are also with new pins. It is the 7-pin socker saver that I am concerned with; the pins seems reused and tranish with residue from plastics during construction. If the noises persist for a few weeks, I will try to clean those male pins again. Last time I did not touch those female pins.

May 25, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #9,613 of 13,434
Hi TomNC,

If you would get 2.5A tubes to use as power tubes, (6AS7, 6080 etc), you would get another very significant upgrade to your LD MKIII or IV. Need external power supply and special adapters etc.

May 25, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #9,614 of 13,434
Hi i luvmusic 2,

I think I have three sizes of 6SN7 tubes as well - don't think that the size makes one tube sound better than another, but it could help in distinguishing which tube to buy if there are several choices from the same manufacturer, and one iteration may sound better.

There is a lot of hype out there from professional sellers, claiming that this color base or this size, or this special treatment of the tube, make for the best sounding tubes. The truth is that some of the best sounding tubes are inexpensive and plentiful, but of course, they don't give you any bragging rights....

Since each channel is completely independent from the other in the LD, you could run as 12SN7 and a 6SN7 together as power tubes, with the appropriate external voltage supply for the 12SN7. Wouldn't worry about running different brands together either. Sometimes running two different tubes will produce a synergy that is better sounding than a pair of the same tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back