Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
May 5, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #9,586 of 13,434
Hello guys, I really hope to send this message out in a way that doesn't 'rain on your parade' because it seems the LD amps can be seriously good with tube rolling, etc.

While I had plans to buy the MK4, I'm now leaning much closer to getting a Project Ember. This is a tube amp / solid state hybrid with only one tube yet a thicker one, also with tube rolling options of many of the same tube brands, for about the same price as the MK4, yet having about 25% more power. Has anybody else here tried the Project Ember, or heard of a comparison between it and the LD amps? If so then please do tell - there are other members of the P.E. threads that want to know how the LD compares too.

May 6, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #9,587 of 13,434
  Hello guys, I really hope to send this message out in a way that doesn't 'rain on your parade' because it seems the LD amps can be seriously good with tube rolling, etc.

While I had plans to buy the MK4, I'm now leaning much closer to getting a Project Ember. This is a tube amp / solid state hybrid with only one tube yet a thicker one, also with tube rolling options of many of the same tube brands, for about the same price as the MK4, yet having about 25% more power. Has anybody else here tried the Project Ember, or heard of a comparison between it and the LD amps? If so then please do tell - there are other members of the P.E. threads that want to know how the LD compares too.

I have not heard the Project Ember, but IMHO it does have a serious case of the fuglies and don't worry you are not raining on anyone's parade here...

I am not a fan of the dust catching, wide open EMI magnet, lexan look. It probably sounds great considering it is mostly a solid state amplifier with a tube that in my opinion is there for more of a novelty purpose than functionality since it runs at a low voltage.

I am more of a traditional all tube guy and I dislike anything that has multicolor LED's in the tube socket... So I am not looking to bring on the wrath of the Garage 1217 fanboys. But I do believe that the P.E. would be better suited for you than a LD MK IV as it seems to tick quite a few of your boxes and tube rolling in it only requires that you plug in the tube.

May 6, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #9,589 of 13,434
I've just checked it out and the LD1+ says it's more suited for low impendence 'cans, but it sure seems nice - like a tube version of the Asgard. I'm using mostly HD 650 headphones and plan to get HE-6. Maybe if the MK4 is great for those headphones I'll still get it sometime when the extra cash comes my way.

May 6, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #9,590 of 13,434
  I've just checked it out and the LD1+ says it's more suited for low impendence 'cans, but it sure seems nice - like a tube version of the Asgard. I'm using mostly HD 650 headphones and plan to get HE-6. Maybe if the MK4 is great for those headphones I'll still get it sometime when the extra cash comes my way.

Generally speaking, most hybrids, such as the PE, Lyr and LD1+, are better with low-Z cans than all-tube amps. Like most hybrids, the LD1+ does very well with 32-300 ohm cans. And while the LD+1 isn't all that bad with 600 ohm cans, all-tube Little Dots, such as the LDII, LDIII and LDIV are better.

May 8, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #9,592 of 13,434
And that difference in brightness could well be the difference between the op-amp in the 1+ and the output tubes in the III. Rolling op-amps in the 1+ and output tubes in the III, in addition to the drivers, allows the sound to be tailored to suit most any taste.

May 12, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #9,596 of 13,434
Hey mordy do your Sylvania 6080 WB'S have a double getter on top and copper rods . Thanks                                    

May 18, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #9,598 of 13,434
 A while back i  asked about how to used a pre-amp yesterday i finished building my first DIY Passive pre amp and i connected it to all my amps.The MK III sounded a bit different it sound like the soundstage is bigger and quieter with the volume pot all the way up and using the pre amp(Glasswa#e Audio A3 Stepped Attenuator with a PRP Metal Film Resistors)Attenuator to control the volume.  

May 19, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #9,600 of 13,434
Just received my matched pair of 1966 Svetlana 6J1P-EV and GE 5654W JAN and I must say, the stock Chinese 6J1 are utter crap. So far I am mostly listening to the Svetlanas as I can only do so much swapping and listening, but I am loving the sound. Detailed, spacious, and so very clean. A good pairing for my HD598. The GEs I find to be very thick sounding with excellent impact and compliment my T 70s pretty good.

I have a question. Do any of you who have the GE 5654 JAN notice that the pins are very stiff and are hard to socket? I can't get mine flush and there is a little gap between the bottom of the tube and the plate. Is this going to pose any long term problems or is a small gap ok?

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back