Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jun 20, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #9,646 of 13,434
I have no experience with Grados, but if they are as you say, then the 2107 might not be a good fit. Perhaps you should spend your budget on tubes. The MUSES can wait.

And not only that, perhaps it would be best to wait until have listened to the stock LD  a while before buying any tubes or opamps. :)

Jun 20, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #9,647 of 13,434
  I have no experience with Grados, but if they are as you say, then the 2107 might not be a good fit. Perhaps you should spend your budget on tubes. The MUSES can wait.

And not only that, perhaps it would be best to wait until have listened to the stock LD  a while before buying any tubes or opamps. :)

The standard shipping is pretty long isn't it? Isn't a standard Airmail like almost 3 weeks or something?
My estimation is that the LD i+ will reach me at the end of this month. I e-mailed David regarding tracking number but he hasn't reply since the 18th. Once I got confirmation of delivery, I will most likely get the tubes so that both amps and tubes will reach me at the same time...

3 weeks on top of whenever the ld i+ will arrive is pretty long wait :D

From the half a day readings that I've done I think I narrow done the purchase into three, first get the 6hm5. If the 6hm5 is too bright then I'll get the Mullard cv4010 next, if on the other hand i want more brightness, then I'll get the voskhod 6zh1p-ev next.

Locally I can get the Mullard at $23 each. I hope I can get less on eBay when the time comes, if I have to try them out.

Jun 20, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #9,648 of 13,434

The standard shipping is pretty long isn't it? Isn't a standard Airmail like almost 3 weeks or something?
My estimation is that the LD i+ will reach me at the end of this month. I e-mailed David regarding tracking number but he hasn't reply since the 18th. Once I got confirmation of delivery, I will most likely get the tubes so that both amps and tubes will reach me at the same time...

Here in the US, I get most shipments with two weeks. For example, a pair of tubes were shipped from Bulgaria on the 11th, and arrived today, the 20th. But I understand that it is different in every country....

Jun 20, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #9,649 of 13,434
I got my LD MK III in a few days after ordering it, but that was to the US.  Tubes from Russia take about a week, but from Ukraine take longer (understandably so.)  Lucking tubes are low vale items and don't have to linger here in US Customs.  But, ymmv.

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #9,650 of 13,434

Here in the US, I get most shipments with two weeks. For example, a pair of tubes were shipped from Bulgaria on the 11th, and arrived today, the 20th. But I understand that it is different in every country....

10 workdays to Montreal .

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #9,651 of 13,434
For those who might be rolling double triodes using an external 9-pin socket, another tube to try. :)

ECC804, which can also be found labeled as 6/30L2, 6GA8 and B729. As far as I can tell, it was made only by Brimar/Mazda. Most of the tubes I have seen carry the Mazda label. The ECC804 has the same pinout as the 6CG7 and 6DJ8. Further, the heaters pull only 0.3 amps, so no external heater power supply is necessary.

Interestingly, the first time I became aware of this tube, it was labeled as a 6CG7. In fact, Upscale Audio will sell you one for $65! Fortunately, Oskari's sharp eye found a Brimar tube code on one of these "6CG7"s which reveals that it is actually a ECC804. Perhaps back in the day someone had this great idea of labeling these as 6CG7 and selling them in the US? lol. As they are quite cheap on eBay, decided to give one a try.

I haven't been able to spend much time with this tube, but first impressions, it has the characteristic Brimar house sound, very smooth, liquid midrange, clean highs and a big bass. A very nice tube. :)

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #9,652 of 13,434

I got my LD MK III in a few days after ordering it, but that was to the US.  Tubes from Russia take about a week, but from Ukraine take longer (understandably so.)  Lucking tubes are low vale items and don't have to linger here in US Customs.  But, ymmv.

10 workdays to Montreal .

Customs on the country doesn't use x-ray, instead opening box one-by-one so, it takes considerably longer time to send personal items to the country haha.

I think I'm going for the 6hm5 for now. It seems like the best bet. Thank you for all the help guys!
Also -misterX- which i didn't quote on this post

Jun 21, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #9,654 of 13,434
Guys... can I ask what are some good tips practices for using the amps?

Other than the 8 hours - 1 hour  on-off instruction on the LD i+ manual. I mean, the manual said "only plug/unplug when LD is off", while what I read during my thread backlog search was, -I'm paraphrasing here-, if tubes failed, it will usually fail on the on or off time, plug headphones after the amp is on, and unplug before turning off.

So... which practice should i follow?
Also, I've heard that tubes amps in general needs some "warming-up" period. Is that true and how many minutes / hours is a tube warming-up period in general before I start listening to them?
Any other practice I should follow?

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #9,655 of 13,434

Other than the 8 hours - 1 hour  on-off instruction on the LD i+ manual. I mean, the manual said "only plug/unplug when LD is off", while what I read during my thread backlog search was, -I'm paraphrasing here-, if tubes failed, it will usually fail on the on or off time, plug headphones after the amp is on, and unplug before turning off.

Also, I've heard that tubes amps in general needs some "warming-up" period. Is that true and how many minutes / hours is a tube warming-up period in general before I start listening to them?

I always power on the amp, let it warm up for a few minutes, then I plug in my headphones with the volume turned all the way down. And I always unplug the headphones before turning off the amp, also with the volume turned all the way down.

Jun 21, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #9,657 of 13,434

Will this happen every single time mordy? From the time you bought them up until now?
I think that is unique and neat... Sort of looking forward to it.

Do you mind if i ask... is it safe?

Dont know exactly what you mean but is there a bright flash when you turn on amp and then it dimms again . I have a few tubes that do that its normal.its there way of warming up if i remember correctly

Jun 21, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #9,658 of 13,434

I always power on the amp, let it warm up for a few minutes, then I plug in my headphones with the volume turned all the way down. And I always unplug the headphones before turning off the amp, also with the volume turned all the way down.

In my  Woo Audio amps it is recommended to have a headphone plugged in on startup so i use a cheap pair, so if a tube goes and takes out my headphone its no big deal

Jun 21, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #9,659 of 13,434

In my  Woo Audio amps it is recommended to have a headphone plugged in on startup so i use a cheap pair, so if a tube goes and takes out my headphone its no big deal

As to the photo above.. yeah I meant the Flare / fireworks. It looks pretty nice.

Well i have to get a $10 headphone now. I don't have any. What is the reason for Woo and Little Dot recommending headphones to be plugged in during startup? Is there anything to do with the vaccuum tubes or something?

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #9,660 of 13,434

As to the photo above.. yeah I meant the Flare / fireworks. It looks pretty nice.

Well i have to get a $10 headphone now. I don't have any. What is the reason for Woo and Little Dot recommending headphones to be plugged in during startup? Is there anything to do with the vaccuum tubes or something?

Here's the e-mail he sent me                                                                                                                 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back