Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jun 27, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #9,679 of 13,448

Power down the amp, wait 10 minutes, swap the sockets the the tubes are in.

By swapping the sockets, do you mean I should move Tube A from the left side to the right side and vice-versa?
Or do you mean I should open the amp's bottom chassis and swap the white sockets?

By the way, is there a specific way to handle the tubes? Like I shouldn't touch them by hand or something?
So far I use tissue to take them on and off to minimize fingerpirnts. But if there is a proper way of handling tubes... I will do it.

He means swap the tube what i use to swap tubes is a rubber finger that i fit over the tube doesnt slip when removing .about those rectangular pieces you talked about those are called jumpers and should be in your amp depending on the family of tube you are using check the thread for pictures or your manual because for example for EF 95 family of tuibes the jumpers should be on certain pins and for EF92 tubes on other pins this is imporant just research JUMPERS atop the page where   its writen SEARCH THIS THREAD .  pictures below are the longer version of jumpers that i use in the LDMK3  because i dont have to remove cover but the short jumpers in mk3 are a pain to remove .About cleaning pins personnally i refuse to pay $20.00 and more for deoxit i buy another brand   thats around $7.00 a can but first i use sandpaper to clean pins then the cleaner                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Jun 27, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #9,680 of 13,448

Yes, Swap Socket A, with Socket B.  Just grab the tubes by the sides, and you can just wiggle them out out.  Don't be too rough.

I just opened the Bottom Chassis just now. How do I swap Socket A with Socket B?
It looks like it is soldered to the circuit board...

In my picture the arrows show where the jumpers go ,at bottom theres no jumper on but at the top looks like there is one not shure its the jumpers location below its written EF92 on my MK3 is not like that check to make shure you have the right jumpers on in the right places also you can see where its written EF92 OR EF95 cant see very well  though                                                                                                               

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #9,681 of 13,448

He means swap the tube what i use to swap tubes is a rubber finger that i fit over the tube doesnt slip when removing .about those rectangular pieces you talked about those are called jumpers and should be in your amp depending on the family of tube you are using check the thread for pictures or your manual because for example for EF 95 family of tuibes the jumpers should be on certain pins and for EF92 tubes on other pins this is imporant just research JUMPERS atop the page where   its writen SEARCH THIS THREAD                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

I read the manuals yeah, I didn't know that the small rectangular thing was the jumper though, before I opened the bottom chassis. Those jumpers of yours looks nice, maybe I'll find one off e-bay. When i opened the bottom chassis, my amp was open circuit on the gain setting, so i put 2 jumpers to close them to make the gain back to 3.5 Low Gain. And uh, I re-check the tube jumpers setting, moved it to make them 6J1.

On that note, one of the jumper of mine gone bad though, the silver metal and the black plastic got separated from each other when I tried to remove them from the 408A side to the 6J1 side. But it's one of 6 and with 6J1 there are 2 unused jumpers so I'm covered. But that extended jumpers on your picture looks pretty convenient too.

On the DeoxIT, there is only 1 store in the whole nation that is selling them and I'm not sure about shelling $55. So that's my update. Have also swap the tubes between A and B. I haven't try them again though because I only have one PC power cable. So I'll try them again when my PC are off.

Jun 27, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #9,682 of 13,448

I read the manuals yeah, I didn't know that the small rectangular thing was the jumper though, before I opened the bottom chassis. Those jumpers of yours looks nice, maybe I'll find one off e-bay. When i opened the bottom chassis, my amp was open circuit on the gain setting, so i put 2 jumpers to close them to make the gain back to 3.5 Low Gain. And uh, I re-check the tube jumpers setting, moved it to make them 6J1.

On that note, one of the jumper of mine gone bad though, the silver metal and the black plastic got separated from each other when I tried to remove them from the 408A side to the 6J1 side. But it's one of 6 and with 6J1 there are 2 unused jumpers so I'm covered. But that extended jumpers on your picture looks pretty convenient too.

On the DeoxIT, there is only 1 store in the whole nation that is selling them and I'm not sure about shelling $55. So that's my update. Have also swap the tubes between A and B. I haven't try them again though because I only have one PC power cable. So I'll try them again when my PC are off.

Unless the tubes are seriously corroded, (the pins are green) you have zero need for DeoxIT; save your money.  My tubes from 1945 have a little corrosion, and I was able to scrape that off, and clean up with alcohol.  Jumpers are jumpers, you can get them at any computer shop for very little money.

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #9,683 of 13,448
Hi rovopio,

There are people that have studied the best way of removing oxidation on tube pins, and the simplest solution works the best. Just take a pocket knife or pen knife and use the little blade to gently scrape clean the pins. Or sandpaper, or even a little cup with sand in it - twirl the the bottom of the tube with the pins in the sand.

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #9,684 of 13,448

He means swap the tube what i use to swap tubes is a rubber finger that i fit over the tube doesnt slip when removing .about those rectangular pieces you talked about those are called jumpers and should be in your amp depending on the family of tube you are using check the thread for pictures or your manual because for example for EF 95 family of tuibes the jumpers should be on certain pins and for EF92 tubes on other pins this is imporant just research JUMPERS atop the page where   its writen SEARCH THIS THREAD .  pictures below are the longer version of jumpers that i use in the LDMK3  because i dont have to remove cover but the short jumpers in mk3 are a pain to remove .About cleaning pins personnally i refuse to pay $20.00 and more for deoxit i buy another brand   thats around $7.00 a can but first i use sandpaper to clean pins then the cleaner                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Here is an ebay listing for those jumpers, http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-2-54MM-STANDARD-COMPUTER-JUMPER-CAPS-WITH-HANDLE-/370412394037?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563e4c9635

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #9,685 of 13,448
For MK3 owners and others those long jumpers are just woderful no more stress when changing positions thru the peepholes .Or mordy made an extension for the jumpers you can see this on page 220 post#3297

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #9,686 of 13,448
^

I hope i can find one locally. On top of not needing 100 pcs of jumpers, regardless of price, anything that enters the country over 10 in quantity will be tagged as "Indication for Retail or Distribution", and it's just a mess to take care of, for individual entity.

I really don't know where I can find htem though, tried Ace Hardware and the PC District in my city, and they don't have both Power Cable nor Jumpers. They do have varieties of Cables though. Maybe I should check out the DIY-Electronic-Parts section of the city to find both items.

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #9,687 of 13,448
  ^

I hope i can find one locally. On top of not needing 100 pcs of jumpers, regardless of price, anything that enters the country over 10 in quantity will be tagged as "Indication for Retail or Distribution", and it's just a mess to take care of, for individual entity.

I really don't know where I can find htem though, tried Ace Hardware and the PC District in my city, and they don't have both Power Cable nor Jumpers. They do have varieties of Cables though. Maybe I should check out the DIY-Electronic-Parts section of the city to find both items.

One thing though do you really dont need long jumpers since you have to remove cover anyways if im not mistaken or do you have peepholes

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #9,688 of 13,448
The jumpers are standard 2.54mm ones. If you have an old hard drive it may be sitting there on the back - standard. The long jumpers I could only find on the Internet (Ebay). I am sure that you can find a source for just 10 of them.

Found a source in Hong Kong:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-piece-Standard-Size-2-54mm-Computer-Jumper-with-Long-Handle-Snowy-White-Color-/261573878675?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce704a393

Truth is that for 50c more u can get 100....

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #9,689 of 13,448

Just got a pair of JHY-6AK5 tubes in the mail today :smirk::smirk: made my Hytron in February, 1945. They sound beyond incredible! They actually had me tear a few times. Just listening and finally hearing what a tube from 70 years ago sounds like. It's such an honor to own a pair of these. Especially them being NIB! :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #9,690 of 13,448
  The jumpers are standard 2.54mm ones. If you have an old hard drive it may be sitting there on the back - standard. The long jumpers I could only find on the Internet (Ebay). I am sure that you can find a source for just 10 of them.

Thanks mordy! that looks  good, the fact that it's white is nice also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back