Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Oct 10, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #7,816 of 13,434

No way... Tell me you didn't get ripped off buying expensive 6AK5/M8100/CV4010's did you? 
eek.gif

And guess by who TD........ you guessed it YEN AUDIO lol. Live and learn !                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #7,817 of 13,434
Hi, can I be a complete noob?

Going on the elation and advice on the forum for these tubes (6HM5 and 6GU7), I've ordered a set for my Little Dot MK III.

As I'm currently rolling a pair of 6H30Pi and pair of Mullard M8100, therefore the only thing I need to do to accommodate the new tubes is adjust the jumpers into the EF92 mode?

I'm fairly certain this is the correct thing to do, just wanted to make sure.

Thanks in advance.

Hmm, looks like I've got myself confused and they are just EF95s like the Mullards.

Sorry all.

Hey Demibeard... I'm interested in the same tube rolling, but for a MK IV SE. Once you've had a chance to try these new tubes, it would add to overall impressions for the 6HM5 and 6GU7 combo.

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #7,819 of 13,434
. . . Just ordered 6HM5 Yugoslavian and 6GU7 tubes, many of you appear to enjoy
biggrin.gif

This forum has been a such a drain on my wallet
beyersmile.png
, and to think, I only came here to get some settings for my walkman (NWZ-A828).

I'm not very eloquent, but when the new tubes arrive, I'll try to compare them as best I can.

At least these tubes aren't as expensive as other things.

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #7,821 of 13,434
Hi,

Although the 6FQ7/6CG7 tubes work as power tubes in the LD MKIII, I would not recommend them. I did try them, and there was something with them that was not compatible with the driver tube I was using (12AX7 family).

As driver tubes they were pretty good, and you could find real bargains in looking for 8V tubes - 8FQ7/8CG7. There are also 12V versions, but it seems that they are used in certain high end amps, and they cost much more.

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #7,823 of 13,434

Although the 6FQ7/6CG7 tubes work as power tubes in the LD MKIII, I would not recommend them. I did try them, and there was something with them that was not compatible with the driver tube I was using (12AX7 family).

As driver tubes they were pretty good, and you could find real bargains in looking for 8V tubes - 8FQ7/8CG7. There are also 12V versions, but it seems that they are used in certain high end amps, and they cost much more.

As the 6FQ7/6CG7 is electrically the same as the 6SN7, I would suspect the incompatibility was caused by the 12AX7. The 12AX7 has a gain of 100, which is quite high compared to a gain of 20 for a 6SN7 or 33 for a 6DJ8, and perhaps too high to drive a 6CG7. I am curious to learn how they will sound paired with a 6HM5 or a medium-mu double triode.

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #7,824 of 13,434
What wallet??? They took my wallet too.
smily_headphones1.gif

That is a serious collection of Mod's and Cart's in your Avatar...
Vaping gear ramps up quickly in price too, at least here in Canada. I just picked up an Aspire mini Nautilus, and need a decent variable wattage battery to go with it.

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #7,825 of 13,434
Hello this is my first post after lurking for the past few months.

I have been playing with a LD 1+ trying to absorb as much as I can from this and other forums.  I thought I would share some of the things I have learned and some of the mistakes I made so far. My main means of using the forum has been through using the search.  This has saved time but it also means I missed key bits of info concerning some of the modifications. My biggest mistake so far has been making a 6DJ8 adaptor for the LD 1+ without realizing the
noise issue with this model. 
I used a Hammond box, the 7 pin test connectors from Radiodaze and 9 pin socket.  I bought a matched (2nd mistake) pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 ECC88 tubes from Ebay. These are marked a little different than other Amperex tubes I have seen as they have a treble clef mark separate from the standard bugle boy logo.

After about 8 hours of break in the tube sounds great with all the sound stage and detail folks have talked about but there is a persistent small hum in the right channel that will not go away even with pins 8 and 9 connected.  I even tried connecting Pin 3 which is the cathode for other channel to ground but this just generated a much louder hum.

The best performing tube I have found so far is a $3 pair of Sylvania NOS untested 6DT6 tubes in EF95 with Pins 1 and 7 connected which I achieved by running a jumper on a set of 7 pin test connectors per Page 77.

I am running the Muse 02 DAC chip which I believe is a little better than the dual SOIC LME49990. However I must say that that the DAC in the LD 1+ does have a major effect on the stage and detail of the sound so there is probably not a perfect correlation of how tubes change the sound in this amp versus others in the LD product line but that's a topic for another thread.

Just a couple of questions on stuff I have not figured out yet

Is there any solution to the 6DJ8 noise problem on the LD 1+ I may have missed?

Do the other options listed on Page 77 for the 6DT6 (6/7 pin mod and 2/7 pin mod) make any difference to the way the 6DT6 tube sounds?

Will the 5687WA modification with the external heater work with the LD 1+ (I assume yes as gibosi has advocated for this mod).  Also is there a wiring diagram for this mod? I found the parts list that gibosi made but I have not found a diagram. I am hoping I may be able to salvage my box by using it with this mod.  

Finally will the C3G mod work with the LD 1+ using the double adaptor modification?

Thanks for any additional insight the members of this forum can provide and also for all the help this forum has provided in the past. The strength and number of involved members on this forum is the reason I purchased a Little Dot. I started with the low end model so I can make most of my errors with this amp before blowing up more expensive hardware. I am enjoying my first tube rolling experience thanks to all the info available on the forum.

.​

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #7,826 of 13,434

Excellent work on the Adapter box it looks great.

Possibly your heater wires are running too close to the other pins? Heater wires need to be twisted and separated a fair distance from other wires or run at 90 degrees across the other wires if you don't have the room. The heater wires will induce AC hum into the circuit.

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #7,827 of 13,434

Do the other options listed on Page 77 for the 6DT6 (6/7 pin mod and 2/7 pin mod) make any difference to the way the 6DT6 tube sounds?

Will the 5687WA modification with the external heater work with the LD 1+ (I assume yes as gibosi has advocated for this mod).  Also is there a wiring diagram for this mod? I found the parts list that gibosi made but I have not found a diagram. I am hoping I may be able to salvage my box by using it with this mod.  

Finally will the C3G mod work with the LD 1+ using the double adaptor modification?

1) In my experience the 6DJ8's are the noisiest double triodes in my collection. They are very susceptible to heater noise and random RF. An external DC heater PS helps quite a bit. And since you have built a case for your adapter, you might try putting some ERS shielding paper on the inside. However, as my 9-pin breadboard adapter is open to the air, I haven't tried this....

http://www.partsconnexion.com/accessories_ers.html

2) Yes, each strapping changes the sound of the 6DT6. However, it has been a long time since I rolled that tube, so I can't say how these other strappings sounded.

3) Here is a picture of a 9-pin breadboard socket wired to run the 5687 using an external DC heater PS.

4) And a pic of two 3Cg's plus adapters plugged into 7-pin vectors. 

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #7,828 of 13,434

That is a serious collection of Mod's and Cart's in your Avatar...

Vaping gear ramps up quickly in price too, at least here in Canada. I just picked up an Aspire mini Nautilus, and need a decent variable wattage battery to go with it.

I don't have Aspire mini Nautilus but I heard so much good things about it. Here are my latest to my collection. As far as variable wattage, you can pick up DNA 30 for around 70USD.

I sent you PM.

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #7,829 of 13,434
This forum has been a such a drain on my wallet :beyersmile: , and to think, I only came here to get some settings for my walkman (NWZ-A828).

I'm not very eloquent, but when the new tubes arrive, I'll try to compare them as best I can.

At least these tubes aren't as expensive as other things.

To All-- Are there any impressions about the combination of 6HM5s with 6H30PI power tubes? I ordered 6GU7s but wondering difference of these tubes versus leaving 6H30PIs in place and simply replacing M8100s with 6HM5s?

P.S., I'm not into vamping, but I really enjoy the decadence of a Cuban cigar with a single malt scotch, on occasion...

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #7,830 of 13,434
To All-- Are there any impressions about the combination of 6HM5s with 6H30PI power tubes? I ordered 6GU7s but wondering difference of these tubes versus leaving 6H30PIs in place and simply replacing M8100s with 6HM5s?

P.S., I'm not into vamping, but I really enjoy the decadence of a Cuban cigar with a single malt scotch, on occasion...

Hello Uncle Al,

6HM5s and 6H30PIs combo is the best plug and play set up with my MK IV but my current set up is C3gs and 6SN7s. I can't go back to plug and play anymore. But I do play 6HM5s with 6SN7s set up sometimes. Oh yeah!!! this week is my 5th anniversary of " totally free from analog cigarette or cigar""

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back