Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Oct 14, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #7,848 of 13,448

I finally finished my SEX amp........Thank GOD!!!!!!!!!

Nice--- Photos and first hand impressions please? ...after burn-in

With all the amp i have the SEX is more detailed of them all,The voice sound natural and the soundstage is bigger/wider and something that this amp made me realized some of the classical music i listened to can sounds like the orchestra are in front of you instead of sounding like you are in the middle i even noticed some sound slightly above my head/ear.Those can be heard with the CRACK and MK III but you really need to focused on them or you will never noticed that sound i never noticed those until i listened to SEX.

SEX IS GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
atsmile.gif

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #7,849 of 13,448
Thanks i luvmusic 2..

...It looks like you were having fun with the connections.  Congratulations on your skill in handling the soldering iron so well for such a well deserved result.  Your review is enough to make me want to order SEX, too.  No, not that kind.. the how-to assemblage of electronic components in a concerted effort to achieve maximum enjoyment from the results.  Okay.. now, I see why they named this amp SEX, because it is THAT GOOD, and drives the listener to achieve new heights of soundstage and tonal enrichment.

Did you order the stock tubes?.. or alternatives?  The point-to-point wiring kind of reminds me of the old breadboard wiring that I used to do eons ago, but one cannot sit on the sidelines and criticize how SEX comes together.  The results are what counts, and it sounds like the fun of connecting up the elements and the overwhelming climactic sound is more than enough to have head-fiers saying,

"I'll have what she's having!"        
L3000.gif

Right now is when I would be reaching for a Cuban cigar and brandy, as I relax in the afterglow of imagined radiance and allure of the SEX amp's curvacious encased filaments and overall amplification goodness!

Enjoy your SEX... and thank you for sharing with us!

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #7,850 of 13,448
Received the 12AX7/12AU7 adapter (for use as driver tubes) from @MIKELAP today and listening to the set up now with some 12AU7s as driver and RCA 6SN7s as power tubes - euphonic lushness making the LD3 warmer sounding, smooth and creamy with some punchy bass. Next up would be some 12AX7s and 6SL7-type octals (with adapter).

BTW, anyone tried ordering from China recently? I think the customs there is doing some VERY stringent checks on all goods exported out of the country. A friend who ordered some kiddy backpacks faced such a situation with the backpack sitting at Chinese customs for more than a week. If anyone here has bought adapters from Chinese sellers, did you receive them on time? I may want to hold back on getting some C3G adapters if this is so...

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #7,851 of 13,448
  Received the 12AX7/12AU7 adapter (for use as driver tubes) from @MIKELAP today and listening to the set up now with some 12AU7s as driver and RCA 6SN7s as power tubes - euphonic lushness making the LD3 warmer sounding, smooth and creamy with some punchy bass. Next up would be some 12AX7s and 6SL7-type octals (with adapter).

BTW, anyone tried ordering from China recently? I think the customs there is doing some VERY stringent checks on all goods exported out of the country. A friend who ordered some kiddy backpacks faced such a situation with the backpack sitting at Chinese customs for more than a week. If anyone here has bought adapters from Chinese sellers, did you receive them on time? I may want to hold back on getting some C3G adapters if this is so...

i ordered a couple adapters they were shipped on the 11/10/14 usually takes a month 

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #7,852 of 13,448
I have a pair of Tung Sol JAN-CTL-6SU7GTY (6SL7 type) coming in to use as power tubes, to replace my new production 6SN7GTB tubes.

I very much like the sound as a driver so hopefully it benefits in the same way. (very well pronounced bass with sweet treble)

Also this track keeps fooling me with the c3g's, i keep thinking speakers are on.

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #7,853 of 13,448

So the tubes arrived.
C3G do not much my Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones at all, bass is bloated and poorly controlled, Voshod perform much better, also they (c3g) don't sound much off some bassy ef95 tubes. it's my problem with beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 cans that most tubes make them sound too warm and with overwhelming bass, so after months of testing very wide array of tubes I singled out Soviet EF95 Voshod and EF92 Mullard as best sounding with my phones, still very warm but not too (I use M8081 but I think all EF92 sound very similar if not the same as opposed to EF95 that differ a lot from brand to brand, all EF91 sounded too warm to me and also similar too each other but clearly Mullard had best highs, with military model having a slight edge maybe) . 
6SN7 look cool when off, when on they do not glow much and do not think they add anything to the sound over my default type of power tubes (Soviet 6N6P), not sure if they (6SN7) do not add some very subtle humming in the background though and crackling when the amp is touched, I also bought 6SN7 Tung-sols with black plates, normally very expensive, they look like piece of art and it's probably waste to use them as power tubes.
C3G and their adaptors will be for sale probably.  

First thing, as everybody here would suggest, do get some Ei 6HM5 as driver tubes. They are not on the warm side, rather neutral and should fit your Beyerdynamics quite well, if that is what you are looking after.
I would wait with the sale until I had the 6HM5s because you may discover the differences between the power tubes much better when using those. Also, depending on the year of production (older is better), I found the 6N6P tubes to be the weakest of all tubes (YMMV) and recommend as a first upgrade the 6N6P-IR as they massively increase stage, but also treble and deep bass.

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #7,854 of 13,448
The output tubes in group 3 don't really offer a major change to the sound of the amplifier. The 6H30Pi's do have the best sound of the three types I tried, they have the best range and deliver the highest output level, they are very smooth with great detail. The 6GU7's are a nice inexpensive solution for a replacement to the 6H30Pi's, they have a little more amplification but don't really deliver the same level of output. This is understandable as the LD's circuit was NOT designed around the 6GU7 so one cannot expect the same level of performance. The 6CG7's... Well I just don't like them at all, it seems to me that there is something a little "Off" in the sound that is hard to describe. It could very well be the ones I have (3 different makes) but I would not choose them as a replacement output tube. As with any tube review it is all subjective, my gears & my ears so your mileage will vary.

Hey TD, if you do not want to jump onto the bandwagon of alternative driver tubes with adapters but the best in sound you can get, classically, the high budget pre-1984 6H30P-DR might come handy. Just saying ... :wink:

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #7,855 of 13,448
  First thing, as everybody here would suggest, do get some Ei 6HM5 as driver tubes. They are not on the warm side, rather neutral and should fit your Beyerdynamics quite well, if that is what you are looking after.
I would wait with the sale until I had the 6HM5s because you may discover the differences between the power tubes much better when using those. Also, depending on the year of production (older is better), I found the 6N6P tubes to be the weakest of all tubes (YMMV) and recommend as a first upgrade the 6N6P-IR as they massively increase stage, but also treble and deep bass.

I've had a poor experience with Beyers as well with the c3g. (T70)

They're so ridiculously sensitive so they have a little buzz in the background and are pretty sibilant, even on low gain.

The c3g pairs amazingly with the HD650.

Oct 15, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #7,856 of 13,448
I finally have my C3gS's and my C3g -> 6AK5 socket adapters.
Sad to say, only one of the two adapter sockets, work. I have notified the ebay seller.

Interesting to read the poor results with C3g and Beyerdynamic phones...my favorite cans are the Beyer DT-990's but it looks like I will have to wait another month of Sundays to hear my C3gS's with my cans.

Ugh!!

Oct 15, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #7,858 of 13,448
@rossliew

you certainly should try the 6N23P from the 70's voskhod factory, they are a dream. Especially voices sound silky and "creamy" to me.I've auditioned the grey shields 79' and the silver shield 78'.If its the same adapter MIKELAP had sold me you'd just need an 12AUX7 to 6N23P adapter to try these.

Oct 15, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #7,859 of 13,448
  I have a pair of Tung Sol JAN-CTL-6SU7GTY (6SL7 type) coming in to use as power tubes, to replace my new production 6SN7GTB tubes.

You are confusing me. According to datasheets I have been consulting 6SU7GTY uses .3 A heater current so you are all right with the amplifiers commonly talked about on this thread. But if in a new factory production you got a amplifier with 6SN7GTB in place this requires .6 A heater current exceeding heater current capabilities of the amplifiers commonly talked about in this thread, but perhaps not exceeding what is possible with the more expensive little dot amplifiers. So what amplifier are we talking about?

PS OK catching article on the web about the history of tubes you are not probably talking about new production little dot amplifiers, but probably new production tubes. So I guess you were supplying external heater current with your  new production 6SN7GTB tubes So I posted a stupid question sorry.

Oct 15, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #7,860 of 13,448
  Thanks i luvmusic 2..

...It looks like you were having fun with the connections.  Congratulations on your skill in handling the soldering iron so well for such a well deserved result.  Your review is enough to make me want to order SEX, too.  No, not that kind.. the how-to assemblage of electronic components in a concerted effort to achieve maximum enjoyment from the results.  Okay.. now, I see why they named this amp SEX, because it is THAT GOOD, and drives the listener to achieve new heights of soundstage and tonal enrichment.

Did you order the stock tubes?.. or alternatives?  The point-to-point wiring kind of reminds me of the old breadboard wiring that I used to do eons ago, but one cannot sit on the sidelines and criticize how SEX comes together.  The results are what counts, and it sounds like the fun of connecting up the elements and the overwhelming climactic sound is more than enough to have head-fiers saying,

"I'll have what she's having!"        
L3000.gif

Right now is when I would be reaching for a Cuban cigar and brandy, as I relax in the afterglow of imagined radiance and allure of the SEX amp's curvacious encased filaments and overall amplification goodness!

Enjoy your SEX... and thank you for sharing with us!

Yes indeed i have lots of fun soldering,I cut all the wires longer than how it should be for future modding C4S and Impedanced switch need to be installed.Those tubes are stock it comes  with the kit the Volume pot and the tube sockets with pcb's are all upgrade bought from parts connexions  and knob from ebay.I tried using Sylvania,RCA and Marconi 6DN7's i could not tell the difference in terms of sound they sounds all the same to me even mixed and match i did not hear any difference(to my ears anyway).I'am really happy with this AMP the joy of working on it and the sound coming from it is very rewarding,for me at least.THANK YOU!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back