Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Oct 9, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #7,801 of 13,448
  Thanks, gibosi and TD. I managed to scroll back to the earlier postings and found my answer. Not so simple i guess...

We ran them on rigs like these back when the dual triodes were just getting implemented.
Actually quite easy if you have any soldering skills, if not the Vector sockets and Breadboard adapter is solderless.

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #7,802 of 13,448
So we can use 6GU7 tubes as power tubes plug&play and what would be there sound sig compared to the 6n6pir russian power tubes or others for that matter.

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #7,803 of 13,448

We ran them on rigs like these back when the dual triodes were just getting implemented.
Actually quite easy if you have any soldering skills, if not the Vector sockets and Breadboard adapter is solderless.

The fact that the breadboard socket and Vectors is a solderless "adapter" makes it very easy to rewire the socket to accommodate tubes with different pin-outs. For example, with a small screwdriver, the wires can be rerouted to run either a 2C51, 12AU7, 5687 or a 6DJ8, as all of these have different pin-outs. And if you get tired of moving wires around, you can then purchase a ready-made adapter, or solder up a rig like TD's.

It appears that the tube in the picture is an ECC85. For those who don't know, this is very similar to a 12AT7/ECC81, with a gain of 60. However, the ECC85 has an electrostatic shield connected to pin-9, whereas, the 12AT7 has a heater center-tap connected to pin-9. The ECC85 is pin-compatible with the 6DJ8. And with a heater drawing 0.435A at 6.3V, these do not require an external heater PS.

The American nomenclature for the ECC85 is 6AQ8. However, I have yet to see an American-made tube. So far, they have all been Philips (Heerlen and Hamburg), Telefunken or Mitsubishi (Japan). These are nice tubes, and not terribly expensive.

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #7,804 of 13,448
  So we can use 6GU7 tubes as power tubes plug&play and what would be there sound sig compared to the 6n6pir russian power tubes or others for that matter.

I don't have any 6Н6П И's so I can't say, but I do find the 6GU7's a tad warmer than the 6H30Pi EB's.

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #7,805 of 13,448

I don't have any 6Н6П И's so I can't say, but I do find the 6GU7's a tad warmer than the 6H30Pi EB's.

With that said it would bring them near  the level of the russian 6n6pir i would think thats good because i find the 6H30PI light not as warm as russian toooobes

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #7,806 of 13,448
  With that said it would bring them near  the level of the russian 6n6pir i would think thats good because i find the 6H30PI light not as warm as russian toooobes

Still waiting for the adapters to arrive from China (ordered a month ago) , to try the 6SN7GTs as powers in my LD3.  In the meantime, (following the great advice from various member of this thread) I installed  the excellent Tung-Sol 6485s, NOS sixties, square getters (sorry, no round ones), paired with the stock 6N6PI and the thing is just making beautiful music.  Compared with the EF95s triodes I have, even with  the excellent  Voshkod EV, the pentode Tung-Sol is simply a step above.  It is a quieter tube, more neutral, perhaps "sparkier" in the highs, but these qualities seem to complement very nicely with the "warmth" of the russian 6N6PI.  Not only that, the ambient and "spatial" clues of the music are there in full, with a reverberant, natural  quality that is really fascinating.  I know that there are better tubes out there,  but I personally respect this humble 6N6PI tube,  it can sing and it can sound really good, paired with a competent performer like the TS. So far, the EF92 pentodes seem to outperform the EF95 triodes. is there any technical reason for this ?              

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #7,807 of 13,448
As I have stated earlier in this thread I have been refraining from any tube rolling until the next few days when I go to the Rocky mountain audio Fest (going later today) and I hear some of what all you guys are talking about.

I think the discussion I am hearing at this moment on this thread may be particularly pertinent to my later today exploration of hearing sound from other systems. I own Sennheiser HD 600 and and these are my only audiophile level headphones. On the 600 HD impressions thread many people favor 600 HD's over 650 HD's which are said to have more base which can even be seen in the spectrums published of these two headphones. So how do you all distinguish between warmth and baselevel. On the thread for this year's Rocky mountain audio Fest I ask this someone with more experience might meet up with me to explain me audio fight headphone language. And was given a link to Head-FI's glossary thread which can be found here. According to the glossary thread warmth can be defined this way 

"Warm - Good bass, adequate low frequencies, adequate fundamentals relative to harmonics. Not thin. Also excessive bass or mid bass. Also, pleasantly spacious, with adequate reverberation at low frequencies. Also see Rich, Round. Warm highs means sweet highs."

OK then are you guys able to hear warmth even through headphones you know have some based level drop-off in the base spectrum. And is this more than just your tubes inning base spectrum level wise?

I am also wondering if warmth equals better soundstage at bass frequencies or if such distinctions are beyond the capabilities of most human ears to distinguish. If you are able to distinguish such things as soundstage at different frequencies. Do you think say a Latino percussive jazz track of music with many percussive instruments playing side-by-side would be the I deal think to listen to to distinguish warmth and soundstage in the base region or is that not the way it is done?

Incidentally I look like my picture of me holding my niece in my avatar. That is me in that picture. If you are going to be at the Rocky mountain audio Fest in the next few days could you please p.m. me a picture if you would not mind me saying hello to you?

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #7,808 of 13,448
Hey bbmiller,

If you want to know what a lot of those descriptions sound like then you should take the Philips Golden ear test.

https://www.goldenears.philips.com

I am one step away from Gold, there is a test at the end with full EQ applied that is hard to do with my old ears. :)

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #7,809 of 13,448
Hey bbmiller,

The 4 pictured tubes are all 6HM5's from Yugoslavia you need the TALL version like the ones pictured, NOT the little short ones that can also be found on eBay.

Get the tall 6HM5,'s from this seller, most of the users of this thread has bought them from him.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6HM5-6HA5-EC900-export-quality-audio-triode-tube-NOS-FREE-SHIPPING-/300879467071

The 6GU7's are the two tubes in the back of my amplifier, where the 6H30Pi usually go. They are just your general run of the mill Colour TV Matrix tubes that can also be used for audio amplification.

Both of these tube pairs, the 6HM5 and 6GU7 are plug an play replacements that you could use.

6HM5's in the front, 6GU7's in the back.

:beerchug:

Hey TrollDragon.. Can you please describe the how well the combination of the 6HM5 and 6GU7 perform compared to the MK IV SE stock tubes, including Soundstage, tonality, etc.? Thanks--

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #7,810 of 13,448
Hey TrollDragon.. Can you please describe the how well the combination of the 6HM5 and 6GU7 perform compared to the MK IV SE stock tubes, including Soundstage, tonality, etc.? Thanks--
I have not listened to the old GE JAN 6AK5's in eons... I'll see if I can dig them up this weekend and install them for a listen.

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #7,811 of 13,448
I have not listened to the old GE JAN 6AK5's in eons... I'll see if I can dig them up this weekend and install them for a listen.

Those remind me of the days i use to get ripped off fortunately only happened a couple times lol.

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #7,812 of 13,448

Hey bbmiller,

The 4 pictured tubes are all 6HM5's from Yugoslavia you need the TALL version like the ones pictured, NOT the little short ones that can also be found on eBay.

Get the tall 6HM5,'s from this seller, most of the users of this thread has bought them from him.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6HM5-6HA5-EC900-export-quality-audio-triode-tube-NOS-FREE-SHIPPING-/300879467071

The 6GU7's are the two tubes in the back of my amplifier, where the 6H30Pi usually go. They are just your general run of the mill Colour TV Matrix tubes that can also be used for audio amplification.

Both of these tube pairs, the 6HM5 and 6GU7 are plug an play replacements that you could use.

6HM5's in the front, 6GU7's in the back.

beerchug.gif

Hi, can I be a complete noob?

Going on the elation and advice on the forum for these tubes (6HM5 and 6GU7), I've ordered a set for my Little Dot MK III.

As I'm currently rolling a pair of 6H30Pi and pair of Mullard M8100, therefore the only thing I need to do to accommodate the new tubes is adjust the jumpers into the EF92 mode?

I'm fairly certain this is the correct thing to do, just wanted to make sure.

Thanks in advance.

Hmm, looks like I've got myself confused and they are just EF95s like the Mullards.

Sorry all.

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #7,813 of 13,448

Hi, can I be a complete noob?

Going on the elation and advice on the forum for these tubes (6HM5 and 6GU7), I've ordered a set for my Little Dot MK III.

As I'm currently rolling a pair of 6H30Pi and pair of Mullard M8100, therefore the only thing I need to do to accommodate the new tubes is adjust the jumpers into the EF92 mode?

I'm fairly certain this is the correct thing to do, just wanted to make sure.

Thanks in advance.

I run the 6HM5 in EF95 mode and since the cathode is attached to Pin 2 and Pin 7 it in theory should work in both modes. BUT after I pulled up the data sheet, there is a Shield connection on Pin 6 so I would run it in EF95 mode to be safe.

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #7,814 of 13,448
  I run the 6HM5 in EF95 mode and since the cathode is attached to Pin 2 and Pin 7 it in theory should work in both modes. BUT after I pulled up the data sheet, there is a Shield connection on Pin 6 so I would run it in EF95 mode to be safe.

Thank you for the quick response.

I'll leave the jumpers alone.

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #7,815 of 13,448
  Those remind me of the days i use to get ripped off fortunately only happened a couple times lol.

No way... Tell me you didn't get ripped off buying expensive 6AK5/M8100/CV4010's did you? 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back