LITTLE DOT MKVI has arrived
Sep 30, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #106 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound comparison between my LD MK V & MK VI

This is an apples and bananas comparison as we all know it, RCA Vs XLR.

My old single end system,

Source: CA840c

AMP: LD MK V

Power Cord: Volex17604 with wattgate ends.

Cable: RCA BJ89259 and SAA Equinox HD650 classic

Headphone: HD650

For a single ended system this setup sounds very good. Soundstage is good, bass is control, a neutral sounding amp with a little colour added to the sound. What I hear on my HD650 is a straight sounding CA840c, detail and analytical. With the smaller soundstage instrument separation is a little muddy. Floor noise is black. No snake Oil used for this single ended setup.

New balanced XLR system,

Source: CA840c

AMP: LD MK VI, Gain setting on “LOW”

Tubes: JAN Slyvania 6080wc and OTK 6H9C

Power Cord: Volex17604 with wattgate ends.

Cable: Signal Cable Silver XLR and 4 Pin APS V3 HD650

Headphone: HD650

Snake Oil: Vibrapods and Cones and Caig Deoxit Gold G5

My first balanced setup wow what can I say, I was blown away on stock tubes. Soundstage is massive 3D like, very Airy and spacious. Very high resolution and transparent, I’m hearing a lot things that was a little muddy on MK V but on the Mk VI it’s crystal clear.

Timbre is excellent, the decay is long, bass is tight, mids are lush and highs is crisp. Susan Wong voice on XRCD2 sounds so sweet and Eagles hell freezes over XRCD2, hotel California sounds so real, like if you’re right there on stage just amazing. It makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up every time I listen to this track.

The CA840C really shows its grunt and capability when output on balanced mode. Extra detail and wider soundstage better instrument separation compare to single ended RCA. Floor noise is black.

Snake oil is used for this setup, Vibrapod and cone under amp and CD player, all tube pins and cable connectors are treated with Caig Deoxit Gold G5.

YMMV!!!!

Tube Rolling to come….
smily_headphones1.gif

CZ, thanks for sharing and trusted the LD VI is a good amp to drive with HD650, but do you think the good sounding from the LD VI is somewhat upgarded by the Apuresound V3 cable.
icon10.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #107 of 112
Hey no worries!

I'm sure the APS V3 cable play it's part, but I have no idea on how much effect it has on the overall sound. Because I don't have any other cable to compare to.

It's very important to understand that one single component in the audio chain doesn't produce the overall sound. This is an team sport where every component in the audio chain plays it's part to produce overall sound quality.
That why I only comment on the end result not on one single component.

Oct 7, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #109 of 112
Very interesting so far. If I am not mistaken, balanced headphones tested with MKVI are HD580, HD650 and DT880.

Any balanced K701 owner willing to share impressions.

My guess is that this balanced "tube" amp will match very well with K701 balanced and probably DT880, while maybe a little too warm for HD650.

Looking forward to your impressions,

Oct 23, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #110 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting so far. If I am not mistaken, balanced headphones tested with MKVI are HD580, HD650 and DT880.

Any balanced K701 owner willing to share impressions.

My guess is that this balanced "tube" amp will match very well with K701 balanced and probably DT880, while maybe a little too warm for HD650.

Looking forward to your impressions,

I'm sure tube selection will have a large impact on which headphones are being used/tested. If the HD-650 does have the extra warmth, then maybe the HD-600 would be the perfect match then? I sure would like to hear someones impressions of them on the MKVI.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm also looking forward to additional impressions. My brain wants one, my wallet completely disagrees! That MS 30% rebate makes me want to abuse a credit card through PayPal!
smily_headphones1.gif
What is even sicker, is that the wife already gave me the go ahead to take advantage of the MS rebate toward a MKVI. I have been the reason why I'm in agony over this amp!
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe I'll give in.....Ugh!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #111 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw what gain setting are you guys using? I'm using low gain setting for my HD650, on high gain is not as quite.

Were are the gain adjustment settings located on chassic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back