Little Dot MKII appreciation thread
Jan 11, 2008 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Dept_of_Alchemy

Headphoneus Supremus
The MkII is finally for sell on ebay and it's shaping up to be the next big thing in affordable tube amps. Post your impressions, reviews and tube-rolling experience here!
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MkII is finally for sell on ebay and it's shaping up to be the next big thing in affordable tube amps. Post your reviews and tube-rolling experience here!
wink.gif

DoA, Do you mind if I start a new thread for my full review of the MKII when completed?
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 25
Now that my review is posted, I can comment some here as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Many of us LDII++ owners talk about how great they are and the love we have for their unique sound with the better tubes. I can tell everyone now, that at the conclusion of my review, I have the same love for the MKII. It has its own unique sound (using EF95 family), but can have almost the exact same sound as the LDII++ (using EF92 family). The MKII really does have sonic improvements over the LDII++, and less heat. This little tube amp is sure to become a favorite, for all the normal reasons and a few flexibilities it has over the competition. It is one outstanding pre-amp and headphone amp as well.
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #4 of 25
does the MKII still have that euphonic warm sound that made me eargasm like LD2+ do?
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does the MKII still have that euphonic warm sound that made me eargasm like LD2+ do?
biggrin.gif

When I switched to the EF92 compatibility, and use the Mullards & Sov tubes, the first thing I noticed was that "special" sound we all loved from before.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 25
I had posted this excellent find in another thread, but I wanted to make sure it was seen by anyone who has or is thinking of purchasing a MKII or MKIII:

I don't know if this tube has ever come up here before, but I just have to share what I have discovered. I was browsing eBay the week before last, looking for better EF95 compatible driver tubes for my MKII. By shear luck, I ran into this posting: 6AK5-EF95-5654 Russian Tube 6Zh1P-EV. Lot of 8 - eBay (item 330202746324 end time Jan-15-08 11:01:07 PST)

I received the 6Zh1P-EV's last Saturday and re-configured my MKII for EF95 mode, and put a set in. What a shocker! Right out of the box these sound better than any other EF95 I have tried. I let them play constant until Monday afternoon, when I sat down and did some critical listening. Wide sound stage, crystal clear highs, smooth mids and bass that is very unlike most EF95s. This bass goes all the way down, while remaining and maintaining a flat frequency response! I tell you what these remind me of,,,they remind me of the old WWII era GE 5 star tubes. Maybe even better than that! What a bargain too! Eight tubes in the set and the seller includes an extra two for doing business with him! I hope some of you MKII and MKIII owners will get a chance to try these. They really are worth your time!
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a good one!

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had posted this excellent find in another thread, but I wanted to make sure it was seen by anyone who has or is thinking of purchasing a MKII or MKIII:

I don't know if this tube has ever come up here before, but I just have to share what I have discovered. I was browsing eBay the week before last, looking for better EF95 compatible driver tubes for my MKII. By shear luck, I ran into this posting: 6AK5-EF95-5654 Russian Tube 6Zh1P-EV. Lot of 8 - eBay (item 330202746324 end time Jan-15-08 11:01:07 PST)

I received the 6Zh1P-EV's last Saturday and re-configured my MKII for EF95 mode, and put a set in. What a shocker! Right out of the box these sound better than any other EF95 I have tried. I let them play constant until Monday afternoon, when I sat down and did some critical listening. Wide sound stage, crystal clear highs, smooth mids and bass that is very unlike most EF95s. This bass goes all the way down, while remaining and maintaining a flat frequency response! I tell you what these remind me of,,,they remind me of the old WWII era GE 5 star tubes. Maybe even better than that! What a bargain too! Eight tubes in the set and the seller includes an extra two for doing business with him! I hope some of you MKII and MKIII owners will get a chance to try these. They really are worth your time!
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a good one!

Those would fit in MKIV SE too? BTW my SE has jumpers so I can swap EF92's if I want. I asked this from David.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those would fit in MKIV SE too? BTW my SE has jumpers so I can swap EF92's if I want. I asked this from David.

That is soooo cool! I wish mine did! If you can switch to EF95 mode, then yes, these would work as driver tubes. Remember, they are 5654 compatibles, which means EF95 mode. They are really nice tube. I've got them in my MKII and they sound great! I hope the seller puts some more up on ebay soon!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 25
Feb 1, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #11 of 25
Feb 4, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I've heard from other forum members that anthony welsh is a little sketchy. I've never bought from him though.

I bought a set of 4 from him.

Will let you guys know if he is sketchy or not in 10 days time.

eek.gif

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by doubletaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a set of 4 from him.

Will let you guys know if he is sketchy or not in 10 days time.

eek.gif

Quick follow up.

He seems to be ok, tubes came as promised, pretty good communication too, he'll PM you when you win, and again before he ships it out.

Any questions are replied to within a day or two.

wink.gif

Feb 20, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhpas a bit off tiopic...can the MKII be used as a preamp for a turntable?

Hi! It can, but you must have a Stereo Phone Pre-Amplifier between the turntable and the MKII.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back