Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods (All verified mods are on first page)
Jul 20, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #2,521 of 4,154
So I connected my new input stage to the mk6 and it was the most celestial thing I've ever heard, even better then my modded MK6 in its prime, even though I'm using an ipod "dac" in SE mode.

Sounds promising! I always liked the sound of my iPod Classic, but am surprised that it scales up to that extent. I don't remember what the verdict was on the DAC they used.
Can't wait for your results on the input stage, (for the MKVI), when you've got it fixed.
I had a Graham Slee Voyager with a bass boost function, and not only did it boost the bass but also it was incredibly euphonic, so much so that although very interesting to use it occasionally, it did not give a true representation by any means, it had massive echo, reverb and such like. But this is a distortion feature you could incorporate once the basic circuitry is producing the sounds you seem to have now with that good output signal you now have.

Hey I see you finally have the Russian tubes..
Nice Right?
:)'s

I wish I could comment but sadly they don't work, either due to poor impedance or power matching. However the 12SL7 is fantastic! I've been on a euphoric high ever since from which I'm not coming down any day soon, due to that wonderfully immersive flowing experience. It takes you on the same ride you get taken on with the 6 volt tungsols.
I get less of the live sound now, but I've got that with the 5751's so it's all covered!

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #2,522 of 4,154
when you've got it fixed
It's already fixed. After a bit more listening one thing I did notice that was inferior to my original super modded MK6 over a year ago was the lack of "wrap around your head" 360 degree sound and questionable realism on high quality recordings that would have fooled my brain into thinking the singer was in the room was me on my original modded mk6.
On the other hand I've never heard such clean and effortless sound separation and dynamics using my current set-up.

I blame the shortcomings on using an ipod instead of a proper dac in balanced mode and the fact that my headphones are damaged. Neither of which were the case when I had my original modded MK6 up and running.
If not I'll easily discover the culprit by recreating my original modded mk6 and using process of elimination but my current version is technically superior and I doubt an inferior mechanism like distortion was the cause of those traits in my original mod.

Currently headphones are approaching the point of unlistenability due to rattling on low frequencies and an increasingly distorted and mismatched frequency response. I'm dedicating next month to fixing my dac and replacing my headphone drivers.
Then I need to put my new designs into PCB form so I can use my poor excuse for power supplies to use for continued development. If only I had like $5000 to blow on proper lab equipment.

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #2,523 of 4,154
I blame the shortcomings on using an ipod instead of a proper dac in balanced mode and the fact that my headphones are damaged. Neither of which were the case when I had my original modded MK6 up and running.

I would think that's definitely the case. You're amplifying a basically crap signal which is fine for the crap headphones you use with an iPod, but not up to it for anything else. The iPod could have been more than acceptable if it had let third parties unlock the the true digital signal within to develop superior applications, but of course Apple does not do this kind of thing.

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #2,524 of 4,154
The issue was some of the mosfets in my new output stage mod were partially but not completely fried
Yeah looks like mosphets need care.
If I recall correctly Sonic also had issues with his mosphet implementation but he solved it.

and the fact that my headphones are damaged
What were your headphones?

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #2,526 of 4,154
Yep they will hurt your ear.
Not only from stock treble levels,
But from the super fast bass and high dynamic range.

I hurt my ear once from listening to the "1812 overture" which had cannons at the end and the HD800 re-created them with transients and I put at high volume they can hurt your ear so clean and fast sound.

800S gives more satisfying lower end resulting in less need for volume elevation, which can hurt your ear without knowing,
as the stock hd800 bass is so fast your not noticing and it can hurt you over time with certain bassy types of music.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #2,527 of 4,154
I'm a treble junkie so I don't mind the supposed "treble issue" of the HD800s. If people didn't talk about it I wouldn't know it exists.
I actually like the HD800s bass. I've never heard bass so prominent yet so tightly controlled as in the HD800. The issue is it's rare to find an amp that will allow them to produce bass in good quality and quantity.
The MK6 can do it but only if you use huge ultra low esr film caps in the power supply.

Jul 22, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #2,528 of 4,154
Hello,

Good news I have receive the stuff ! Well it will be some time and work to get evrything in place.

Bad news, I forget one thinks : I need to put the fan outside the chassis.
Can you please indicate me the feet you use to raise up the little dot please ?

The TDK resistor are more thick than I though and it can be a problem ... :frowning2:
And the only way I found to put all the caps are this one :
9934640_m.jpg

Little dot mkVI+ with audyn caps by gug42 on Head-Fi.org

We can see the 8 Audyn true copper max and only one set of bypass caps. The resistor are not here.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #2,530 of 4,154
The TDK resistor are more thick than I though and it can be a problem ... :frowning2:
The wire is not an issue.
The only issue is the placement of the caps.
You need extend the bottom and can leave open until you do.
Caps need to be close to there associated circuits.
Placement matters and you don't want caps far away with the leads over the PSU area.

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #2,531 of 4,154

Bad news, I forget one thinks : I need to put the fan outside the chassis.
Can you please indicate me the feet you use to raise up the little dot please ?

These are the ones I use. The height can be adjusted if you use washers: http://www.underwoodaudio.co.uk/performance/isofee02-turntable-speaker-spikes/

Also, the TDK resistors should not be a problem.

And for internal hook up wire, did you think this one is ok : http://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/fils-...-multibrin-silicone-033-mm-blanc-p-11952.html
22AWG, 0,33mm², copper multistrand, 600V, 8A, 200°C

You should have heat resistant PTFE insulation so this is what I used: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/stdct22-neotech-upocc-copper-wire-7025mm-teflon-p-8455.html
This is pure copper multi strand, a bit expensive but you don't need much.
Or you could use this which is cheaper and take apart the 3 strands: http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-feet-22-...hash=item35dce0a54a:m:m23Ub6Kj8Kt_V0Lfvef5S3w
That is silver plated copper wire.

Then I used this solid core pure copper for a stiffer wire to hold large caps in place: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/soct20-neotech-upocc-copper-wire-1085mm-teflon-p-8452.html

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #2,532 of 4,154
The wire is not an issue.
The only issue is the placement of the caps.
You need extend the bottom and can leave open until you do.
Caps need to be close to there associated circuits.
Placement matters and you don't want caps far away with the leads over the PSU area.

Hum ... so can put the caps where they are in my pics :frowning2:
What is the problem ? The psu could "disturb" the caps ?

I will try to find another placement ... but well seems a bit hard :D Well I will look how to extend the chassis in a quick and dirty way :wink:

These are the ones I use. The height can be adjusted if you use washers: http://www.underwoodaudio.co.uk/performance/isofee02-turntable-speaker-spikes/

Also, the TDK resistors should not be a problem.

You should have heat resistant PTFE insulation so this is what I used: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/stdct22-neotech-upocc-copper-wire-7025mm-teflon-p-8455.html
This is pure copper multi strand, a bit expensive but you don't need much.
Or you could use this which is cheaper and take apart the 3 strands: http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-feet-22-...hash=item35dce0a54a:m:m23Ub6Kj8Kt_V0Lfvef5S3w
That is silver plated copper wire.

Then I used this solid core pure copper for a stiffer wire to hold large caps in place: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/soct20-neotech-upocc-copper-wire-1085mm-teflon-p-8452.html

Thank you for all this references ! really appreciate :)

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #2,534 of 4,154
What is the problem ? The psu could "disturb" the caps ?

Caps contain large conductive surfaces, wires act as antennaes. Put too much stuff close to each other and you have an oscillation system. Especially with an gNFB loop like the LD has.

I'd say the input tube area is the most dangerous wrt oscillation and loose wiring. Anyway, you have very little space, so... hope for the best?

Jul 23, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #2,535 of 4,154

9934640_m.jpg

Little dot mkVI+ with audyn caps by gug42 on Head-Fi.org

We can see the 8 Audyn true copper max and only one set of bypass caps. The resistor are not here.

8522552.jpg

Try something like this: Your WCF caps where the white MCaps are and the Coupling caps where the Jupiter caps are. You might have to juggle them around a bit, maybe put some vertically instead of horizontally. With the black caps not there in yours you should have plenty of room.
The soldering points where your red coupling caps are should be as close to your new Audyn coupling caps as possible.

To see what myself and others have done see page 73 where I have listed my mods pages and the others mod pages also. We all did it slightly differently and have a look at this to see why you don't have a problem:
Is getting bigger and bigger. Heavy also.

Sorry Mogos :dt880smile:. Here's how it looked when finished:
8080603.jpg

Not bad eh!

Edit:
Hey Mogos, I've just noticed you have yours on pretty loud !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back