Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods (All verified mods are on first page)
Jul 4, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #2,491 of 4,154
What is the consensus opinion of this thread:

Is the LD a top quality world class HIFI amp or a distortion generator?

Excluding audiophoolery (the gold and (snake) oil magic fuses part of the scene), these two are mutually exclusive. A distortion generator can be a so-so HIFI amp at the most if you're being charitable.

Jul 4, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #2,492 of 4,154
What is the consensus opinion of this thread:

Excluding audiophoolery (the gold and (snake) oil magic fuses part of the scene), these two are mutually exclusive. A distortion generator can be a so-so HIFI amp at the most if you're being charitable.

I don't think its aim is to be totally transparent, no. I do think however that the makers have produced a competitive amp which is extremely pleasing to listen to, I've had 2 as well as other amps, including SS, which by the way was extremely pleasant also. I don't think it sounds old school either. Take together with the parts upgrades I think it's even more competitive and I love the sound. I said that the Jupiters make it "sound" more transparent, even if it isn't and so I think we have achieved our aims. I appreciate the stock design leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm very interested in other designs as well but for me I'm happy atm! Maybe I'm not the one to comment on the theoretical side, interesting though it is.

On the subject of transparency I was interested to hear Sonic say that the amp he has built from your design though transparent is also non fatiguing, so transparency does not imply overwhelming detail and painful listening. The little SET amp I have is also quite transparent yet not at all difficult to listen to, on the contrary. It also provides a comparison to the LD, and both perform at a high level now.

Also we wouldn't have rock 'n roll without Jim Marshall don't forget!

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #2,493 of 4,154
I am starting to get the point that many of your goals are quite divergent from my own. To put it bluntly, many people here seem to be after an effects filter, not transparent sound reproduction
Just because an amp has a "flavor" does not make it less transparent.

The last few pages We are just trying to understand effects of tube mixing.
Not have to do with the quality of the amp.

Many top amps have way much more THD, because the designers know that the actual measurement of "THD",
is skewed... To have low numbers...

We now know after so many years that all orders of Harmonics are not equal, as we know that "lower order" Harmonics are way less harmful to sound than the higher and odd order Harmonics that are mostly produced by SS at lower amounts.
I realize you also advocate zero feedback which is source of such problems.

I do agree that The newer designs which implement amplification only in triodes while having the SS controll other aspects like PSU & current and buffer are excellent choices of design I am realizing,
and are rarely implemeted in todays top tube amps so I do appreciate all your insights.

I personally always measure before touching. It takes no extra effort and you don't have to wait any extra time because you know instantly when it's ok to touch
Best practice!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #2,494 of 4,154
Who cares if it is Hi-Fi, Distortion generator, or a piece of cheese as long as it sounds good.
A distortion free amp is bound to sound boring, the worldly consensus is that distortion sounds good, I think you are biased too much toward infinitely low distortion, harmonic structure and harmonic behavior is more important then THD.

From your obsession with whatever your version of "transparency" is it seems you have not had the pleasure of listening to a highly euphonic amp yet.
If you play around with the MK6 and get the distortion "just right" you can achieve scarily realistic sounding music (like the person is in the room with you) and at the same time mind melting euphony.
Who cares whether it is by definition "transparent", my ears aren't listening to the philosophical concept of transparency, they are listening to the music.

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #2,495 of 4,154
The reason I asked that question is quite practical; you need to know what you are doing to go about it in any sensible way. If you're going swimming you need different stuff with you than when you're going hunting.

It's also not to promote my own circuits or any other circuits, but to understand what it is that you're doing here, in light of some recent messages here.

I don't think its aim is to be totally transparent, no. I do think however that the makers have produced a competitive amp which is extremely pleasing to listen to

Transparent and pleasing are not mutually exclusive, assuming you are listening to recordings you appreciate.

A circuit can be less than totally transparent (which is an unattainable goal in strict terms but let's just get past that) while still striving to be as transparent as possible within some limitations. These limitations can be philosophical ("I only use X components" or "I only use X topology") or practical ("I don't think that is worth doing because of cost / benefit") or whatever ("that's not going to fit in my chassis").

It still matters what the context is with regarding what it is you think you are doing. Are you making a HIFI reproduction system (within some limitations) or are you making an effects producer (not HIFI)?

Name of this forum contains the word 'fidelity'. I assume this is referring to fidelity towards the reproduced material, as it is commonly understood in the phrase HIFI.

Take together with the parts upgrades I think it's even more competitive and I love the sound. I said that the Jupiters make it "sound" more transparent, even if it isn't and so I think we have achieved our aims. I appreciate the stock design leaves a lot to be desired.

That is fine. My question isn't meant to be framed as "your amp is crap", which I don't think it is. I think it's a decent amp, but not nearly as good as some earlier messages set it out to be. What I'm after is the goals of the modifications and discussion. Is it to reproduce sound with fidelity (within factual and perhaps ideological constrains) or is it to produce effects filters using semi-random trial and error?

On the subject of transparency I was interested to hear Sonic say that the amp he has built from your design though transparent is also non fatiguing, so transparency does not imply overwhelming detail and painful listening.

I don't mean to continue hijacking this thread further with this particular topic but again on the definition of transparent;

If the recording is produced to be painful to listen to, a transparent amp should reproduce a painful listening experience. If it is produced to be pleasant to listen to, a transparent amp should reproduce a pleasant listening experience. Same thing with detail, and soundstage and everything.

Also we wouldn't have rock 'n roll without Jim Marshall don't forget!

Indeed. I got my distortion shaping stripes building and eventually designing a couple dozen guitar amplifiers. First it was quite painstaking trial and error, but in the end I got really good at designing guitar amps that have just that pleasant, juicy distortion that I myself prefer. That experience really helped me to make HIFI amps; as a main rule simply do the opposite of what you would do when designing a guitar amp.

Think of it like this; I understand the guy who spent X hours designing the guitar amp used in a recording (let's skip the studio stuff here for simplicity). If my HIFI amp were to ADD something to that, it would ruin the sound of the guitar on the recording.

I want to listen to the recording, not my HIFI equipment. I like the recording, that's why I'm doing HIFI.

Further on this path;

There is no 0% THD amp available, but if you have an amp that adds a SIGNIFICANT (and it's 100% up to you to decide what constitutes significant for you) amount of let's say just 2H and a fraction of 3H (so the 'natural' waterfall FFT pattern). Let's say you are listening to a beautiful recording of an acoustic instrument with a nice natural complex harmonic structure like a flute.

Your amp adding those harmonics to the flute causes IMD with the original harmonic content on the recording, causing those UNNATURAL odd harmonics. Furthermore this then MASKS micro level detail, ruining spatial information (that coveted soundstage).

What about when you listen to a recording with non-natural instruments or effects? Why should a 80's synth or a 60's flanger effect have the harmonic signature of a flute or a piano added on top of it? Should everything sound more the same? Also the IMD and masking effects ("the dirt" or "the veil" on top of the sound) would apply.

Back in my early days I was big on euphonics and I read all the SE stuff advocating for the benefits of 2H and 3H. I used to be "SE for life".

When I got on and found ways to lower distortion open loop, I realised I enjoy listening to music more than I enjoy listening to my HIFI equipment.

Just because an amp has a "flavor" does not make it less transparent.

Let's say you have a painting. You put a glass in front of the painting. No glass can be 100% transparent, but if you put a clear glass in front of the painting you can see painting better than if you put a stained glass (like in churches) window in front of it. Sure you might enjoy the stained glass artwork a lot, but a person who came to see the painting might be a bit disappointed.

Just because an amp has a flavour does make it less transparent by definition. Striving for higher fidelity means removing any interfering (good or bad) flavours. The flavours you must have (because cannot get rid of them) should of course be as benign as possible (i.e. whatever THD you have should be concentrated on the 2H and 3H area).

Many top amps have way much more THD, because the designers know that the actual measurement of "THD",
is skewed... To have low numbers...

2H is less bad than 7H. Having more 2H is worse than having less 2H.

We now know after so many years that all orders of Harmonics are not equal, as we know that "lower order" Harmonics are way less harmful to sound than the higher and odd order Harmonics that are mostly produced by SS at lower amounts.
I realize you also advocate zero feedback which is source of such problems.

Yes I read this stuff ten years ago back when I was building direct coupled SE amps. The question was about the fundamental premise of:

Do you prefer to have an amp with X amount of 2H, rather than an amp that has the least possible (within practical and perhaps ideological constraints) amount of 2H?

The first is an effects filter, the latter is a HIFI amp of some quality, depending on the success of the design and build.

I do agree that The newer designs which implement amplification only in triodes while having the SS controll other aspects like PSU & current and buffer are excellent choices of design I am realizing,
and are rarely implemeted in todays top tube amps so I do appreciate all your insights.

Thank you. This tends to sound like you prefer fidelity and transparency more than adding effects.

I must - tongue in cheek - remind you that Sonics new build doesn't have all triode tubes. The second gain stage is TV sweep beam tetrodes! My upcoming builds have all pentodes. Of course these are all triode strapped but just to put a point accross, in case anyone thinks triodes are somehow magical.

Bit of a long post but I think this topic is quite relevant. What is your goal in doing these modifications?

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #2,497 of 4,154

I don't mean to continue hijacking this thread further with this particular topic but again on the definition of transparent;

Not a problem for me!

I want to listen to the recording, not my HIFI equipment. I like the recording, that's why I'm doing HIFI.

Agreed, I really don't like listening to my HIFI for its own sake.

Further on this path;

There is no 0% THD amp available, but if you have an amp that adds a SIGNIFICANT (and it's 100% up to you to decide what constitutes significant for you) amount of let's say just 2H and a fraction of 3H (so the 'natural' waterfall FFT pattern). Let's say you are listening to a beautiful recording of an acoustic instrument with a nice natural complex harmonic structure like a flute.

Your amp adding those harmonics to the flute causes IMD with the original harmonic content on the recording, causing those UNNATURAL odd harmonics. Furthermore this then MASKS micro level detail, ruining spatial information (that coveted soundstage).

Absolutely agree! However very few recordings get the soundstage right due to bad production and unnecessary microphone placement etc. so it's rare to hear a pure soundstage without artefact.

What about when you listen to a recording with non-natural instruments or effects? Why should a 80's synth or a 60's flanger effect have the harmonic signature of a flute or a piano added on top of it? Should everything sound more the same? Also the IMD and masking effects ("the dirt" or "the veil" on top of the sound) would apply.

Sorry to agree again!

Bit of a long post but I think this topic is quite relevant. What is your goal in doing these modifications?

As I said I think we have realized our goals in this thread. My LD is a "value" piece of kit, part of the fun was to achieve what we have without spending a fortune. It does have a flavour which I like but I think it has eenough transparency. It can sound stunningly real.

Doesn't mean I might not change my mind later! I think the circuit mod points you raise are interesting points for future projects but I can't really see that we would be able to substantially alter the circuitry of the LD. I may be wrong.

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #2,498 of 4,154
Hum thank you all. Last question, how did you fix thoses bigs caps ? glue between the board and the caps ? patafix ? scotch ? nothing, just the pin ?

You can glue or use cable ties.

I think we mainly just used the legs of the caps. You can use wire also. I used Neotech 20 AWG, UP-OCC copper single core wire, RED Teflon wire for the large PSU caps for example. This is stiff enough to hold them in place!

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #2,499 of 4,154
The reason I asked that question is quite practical; you need to know what you are doing to go about it in any sensible way. If you're going swimming you need different stuff with you than when you're going hunting.
That's kind of a moot point since making an amp with low THD is relatively straightforward and there are a near infinite ways to create distortion so there's no way to intentionally create a hi-fi sounding "effects" amplifier without understanding the science behind distortion and euphony and how they interact. So far there's not much officially known or documented about it. At least not that I've ever seen.
And no I'm not talking about guitar style distortion.

Fidelity isn't a virtue, good sound is a virtue.

I think it's a decent amp, but not nearly as good as some earlier messages set it out to be
Nonsense, just because it's not your definition of "transparent" electrically does not mean it doesn't sound that way. The if realism and euphony aren't the goals then what would be? The problem is because it is basically a distortion "rolling" device, there are many many ways to "roll" the distortion so I'm sure a lot of people here haven't even maxed their system out yet.
You really ought to try the amp before forming any official opinions.

What I'm after is the goals of the modifications and discussion. Is it to reproduce sound with fidelity (within factual and perhaps ideological constrains) or is it to produce effects filters using semi-random trial and error?
Strictly speaking fidelity means the output signal is faithful to the input signal. We are not after fidelity, we are after good sound, perceived fidelity is all that matters.. Why bother listening to a THD meter when you can listen to the music?
Honestly if I didn't know any better I would have thought that he MK6 is very high fidelity by definition.

Let's say you have a painting. You put a glass in front of the painting. No glass can be 100% transparent, but if you put a clear glass in front of the painting you can see painting better than if you put a stained glass (like in churches) window in front of it. Sure you might enjoy the stained glass artwork a lot, but a person who came to see the painting might be a bit disappointed.
You got it all wrong dude, the modded MK6 does not sound like a guitar amp. It sounds as clear and real as real life with the right set-up, but with euphony added in. Even with that being said, this amp is certainly not an ultra low THD amp, meaning it must be a distortion generator in some way. It's clear that is the case due to how easily I can adjust all aspects of the sound by mixing tubes and doing parts mods.

The music I listen to is a combination of classical, EDM, rock, and vocals mixed into one song.
I'm not sure what you call that kind of music but I really like it. I guess it's unique to touhou so I guess it would simply be touhou music.

Basically it's got every kind of natural and non-natural mixed into it, yes including flutes sometimes.
I hear nothing but crystal clear sound and tight sound separation throughout. Of course this was before my DAC broke, not really the case using an ipod.
In any case no "dirt" or "viel".

2H is less bad than 7H. Having more 2H is worse than having less 2H.
Only if you are a robot. If the original recording had more 2H in it would it matter then? You seem to imply the original recording is perfect and knows all.
Fidelity for the sake of it is good for robots not humans.

It can sound stunningly real.
What he said. If it sounds real does it really matter whether it is electrically "transparent" or not?
I'm not listening to the philosophical concept of transparency when I listen to music, I'm listening to the music.

In short I think a hifi sounding "distortion generator" will please more then simply listening to the fidelity of your DAC or the raw recording.
In fact I tested this by using a low distortion power buffer in front of my DAC. (dac output voltage is usually enough to drive headphones without amplification)
The result was clean and clear and boring sound.

I did compare one of my prototype amps to the MK6 in a stage by stage comparison I.E. input state to input stage, output stage to output stage.

Mine won out easily against the individual stages of the MK6 but I used my headphone out jack on my PC as a source during this so it sounded not that great in general, I could only really compare between the two.

The jury is still out on how that prototype would have compared to the MK6 with a proper balanced set-up, good power supplies, and compared with all stages intact.

For example, if I were to replace my input tubes with my ipod (which I did initially recently) it would sound "okay" (keep in mind this is in reference to me having no DAC in SE mode)
but adding in the input tubes makes it sound way livelier and more enjoyable.

Now if I were to switch out my 5998s with some Gec 6080 tubes it would sound a lot worse.
The point being the MK6 has a complex array of distortions that all meld into the end result.

Meaning while my prototype did beat out the MK6 stages individually, more testing is needed.
I'm working on upgrading my "lab" to a more respectable one so I can do proper testing and prototyping.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #2,500 of 4,154
I meant to say a couple of other points in my last post as to why I like my LD especially post mods:

1 - There is the question of substandard recordings which can sound horrendous but are much better to listen to if some sort of rounding off process occurs.
2 - Then there is the point about "artificial" software equalizers which I don't like, therefore if the house sound of the amp is sufficiently to your liking that you can listen to poor quality recordings and you don't feel you need an equalizer that's all to the good.
3 - Finally I've been to many live concerts and for me to get 90% of the sound of the live concert is OK. I get this with the LD with Tungsol tubes. I know they are not accurate in sound reproduction but to have a near enough reproduction of a live concert, albeit with the edges rolled off, which I personally like, is fine.
I also prefer some roll off for headphones because it makes listening less fatiguing.
My other amp is a speaker amp and also has Tungsol tubes but the leading edges are much more sharp and defined with a lot of textural information and give me an extra 5% of the live sound, still not perfect, or accurate but I really like it. I feel it is more transparent than the LD, and probably approaches the sound of the Decware amps such as the ZEN which are famously transparent. BUT.... they cost an arm and a leg!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #2,502 of 4,154
I must - tongue in cheek - remind you that Sonics new build doesn't have all triode tubes. The second gain stage is TV sweep beam tetrodes! My upcoming builds have all pentodes. Of course these are all triode strapped but just to put a point accross, in case anyone thinks triodes are somehow magical
Wait a minute,
triodes are not magical?
Aren't they supposed to be the pest form of amplification??
damn! haha yeah I noticed as I have the same design in my mini amp running with been power tubes (6v6) in " triode strap" mode in my mini amp
Nice truck to run them as triodes.
:)

Bit of a long post but I think this topic is quite relevant. What is your goal in doing these modifications
My goal is to liven up the driver Stage to perform better than it was...

It was running at a super low bias which was lifless and also very tube rolling dependent...

So basically I wanted to improve it ,
even though there's PSU limitations with that stage.
That is why I increased bias point and did achieve a mich more resolving, alive and dynamic sound.
The load line was in a much better and linear spot on the curve.

I have been very happy with this new bias point, but I remember you specifically made note that the common cathode resistance is way too low to have the triodes performing equally..

So now I want to try member coinmaster suggestion to try with a CCS at the Cathode.

Hum thank you all. Last question, how did you fix thoses bigs caps ? glue between the board and the caps ? patafix ? scotch ? nothing, just the pin ?
Plastic ties , but hot glue is my fav .
Nice and messy haha.

approaches the sound of the Decware amps such as the ZEN which are famously transparent. BUT.... they cost an arm and a leg!

Don't believe this hype!
inside the Deckwere they're using way less quality of modest coupling caps (Jupiter Beeswax) than what we are using, and that makes a huge difference!

This is an example of deliberate sound manipulation by using these caps which are thicker sounding and have a more natural tone than most.
They probably wanted to get away from the plasticy trebles of most caps.

So although they have a thicker sound,
they don't have the same sound stage. Even if the tubes can be adjusted for Soundstage,
the clarity will never be as good what we havr with these MK6&8, because of thier usage of modest level capacitors for critical coupling of the driver to the power stages.

I've heard Decware amps,
both in private homes and n meets,
There is nothing special about them except that they are nice upper level amps.
don't be fooled by the hype.
:)

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #2,503 of 4,154
As I said I think we have realized our goals in this thread. My LD is a "value" piece of kit, part of the fun was to achieve what we have without spending a fortune.

Indeed.

I personally wouldn't spend a thousand dollars or euros on an amp, but I can understand that DIY is not for everybody. Surely the LD has a recognizeable name, so there is resell value.

It does have a flavour which I like but I think it has eenough transparency. It can sound stunningly real.

Not sure if this applies to you specifically (the above quote would suggest no), but just to bring the point home;

Transparency and realism are not mutually exclusive in any way. In fact if the recording sounds 'real', then a transparent amp will convey a most convincing amount of realism.

Just to bring an example, back when I was still in possession of my flagship amp, I had a cello player friend of mine listen it. He brought a recording of his cello master. The recording was very well made, and very lightly produced.

When we played it, he was stunned at how much it sounded like he was playing in the same room with us. He even recognized the cello his master uses, by sound. He said he hasn't been able to hear that specific signature on any other system.

Now that I call transparency. The realism was there in the recording, and the system allowed it to be played back, to be reproduced without destroying it somehow.

The easiest way to destroy a delicate signal with complex spatial and harmonic signatures (i.e. realism) is to splash some extra harmonics (no matter how benign or natural) on top of it. But more on that later.

I think the circuit mod points you raise are interesting points for future projects but I can't really see that we would be able to substantially alter the circuitry of the LD. I may be wrong.

I suspect you are not wrong. Chassis size is the biggest constraint. If you start a new chassis, why not go for a different, fundamentally better design anyway.

You can glue or use cable ties.

Superglue is my most important material after solder and wire. Look at Sonics great quality pictures, he has adopted the superglue approach as well. What superglue cannot fix cannot be fixed.

1 - There is the question of substandard recordings which can sound horrendous but are much better to listen to if some sort of rounding off process occurs.
2 - Then there is the point about "artificial" software equalizers which I don't like, therefore if the house sound of the amp is sufficiently to your liking that you can listen to poor quality recordings and you don't feel you need an equalizer that's all to the good.
3 - Finally I've been to many live concerts and for me to get 90% of the sound of the live concert is OK. I get this with the LD with Tungsol tubes. I know they are not accurate in sound reproduction but to have a near enough reproduction of a live concert, albeit with the edges rolled off, which I personally like, is fine.
I also prefer some roll off for headphones because it makes listening less fatiguing.

This message could've been written by past me, I've been in this place. I listen to a lot of old stuff that is recorded quite poorly. One of the best examples is the catalogue of Robert Johnson. While I thoroughly enjoy his music, the sound quality is so rough it can be quite taxing to listen to.

Fortunately I found a way around this.

What the last sentence of point 3 tells me is that your system produces some amount of harmonic content, more than it should according to your ears. Let's go back to this:

The easiest way to destroy a delicate signal with complex spatial and harmonic signatures (i.e. realism) is to splash some extra harmonics (no matter how benign or natural) on top of it.

Distortion measurements are usually done using as pure a sine wave as possible, then looking at the output and it's harmonic content. Let's say the output at 1kHz has some 2H and less 3H, no higher harmonics.

Ok then, what happens when you input into this hypothetical amp a signal with equal amounts of 1kHz and 3kHz. What comes out?

Both of these signals produce their 2H and 3H. Then these 4 newly created harmonics also SUM TOGETHER, creating 4H, 5H, 6H and 7H at lower levels. So now we have quite a complex mat of harmonics from these two (1kHz and 3kHz) inputs.

Now imagine you input a complex signal with multiple instruments into this amp.

You are going to have a mess. Granted these sum harmonics are at a low level, but the higher you go, the nastier they are even at low levels.

Incidentally this sum effect is how and why great amounts of gNFB produces a complex mat of very low level harmonics. It's an "infinite sum loop" to simplify a bit.

Wave physics 101. I remember this part from my days in EE university (I changed majors since). Think about a still surface of water. You drop a perfect round object into water; it creates a ripple. The ripple waves are bigger the closer they are to the point of impact (W1 and W2 are biggest, rest are quite small in comparison).

Now if you drop two round objects of about same size simultaneously, they will exhibit the same ripple behavior close to the impact site, but where the waves meet each other, they produce a lot of very small erratic ripples (higher harmonics of the wave), because the waves sum.

This metaphor is not 100% applicable to electric waves, but in essence the same thing happens with them.

For this reason alone (to avoid complex IMD products) I personally would like to minimize the amount of harmonics my amp adds to the signal.

My SE amps have a substantial amount (depends on what's the comparison I guess?) of 2H and some 3H. While they sound very nice, there is a 'something' on top of the sound at all times. The dynamics ("the kick") largely compensates for this when using speakers, and I wouldn't make a SE headphone amp anymore.

This is also the 'dirt' / 'veil' that Sonic described in comparing amps in another thread.

Distortion (however 'benign') always masks detail. Detail conveys realism; the subtle cues that come from the room, or from the instrument. One consistent comment I get from people who listen to open loop low THD amp for the first time is that they become suddenly hyperaware of the fact that the instrument they are listening to has a physical form. Like you cannot stop imagining the acoustic guitar you are listening, because you hear these subtle audio signatures that come from the body of the guitar.

This effect is most pronounced on human voices for understandable reasons.

These audio cues are transmitted in the higher register. You can rough test this by cutting frequencies above 12kHz and see what happens to spatial information. Now if your amp has even a tiny amount of higher harmonics, you cannot hear these, they are drowned in these harmonics.

Now to bring it back to your quote;

A rough recording with quite high distortion is going to sound bad when EVEN MORE distortion is added, because it will further mask the "realism information" and it will produce nasty IMD products. Get a cleaner OPEN LOOP amp and these problems are greatly alleviated. At least this has been my finding.

My experiences with shaping distortion back in the instrument amp world are about 60 to 70% on CLEAN guitar. Plug a guitar to a HIFI amp and play clean. It's horrible. The 'clean' guitar sound, whenever nice sounding, is in fact quite distorted (in HIFI terms). There is no reason to add any distortion during reproduction, if a nice guitar amp was used; a transparent amp will make it sound every bit as nice as it was in the studio. Unless the engineer was an idiot.

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #2,504 of 4,154
Hello

Thx. The problem with glue is unmount sruff.... Well fist i will try patafix ...

The other point : don't what bias driver mod to use for 6SL7WGT the one with 33kr/400r or 77k/1k and which method (// soldering or dirty replace with cutting the legs) ....

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #2,505 of 4,154
Transparency and realism are not mutually exclusive in any way. In fact if the recording sounds 'real', then a transparent amp will convey a most convincing amount of realism.
You are probably right. What I like about the LD that I haven't seen anywhere else is that it sounds both "real" and euphonic at the same time. Those are two seemingly contradictory traits. I can enjoy both worlds where usually I have to pick.
The easiest way to destroy a delicate signal with complex spatial and harmonic signatures (i.e. realism) is to splash some extra harmonics (no matter how benign or natural) on top of it. But more on that later.
Hmmmm, this may be strictly true technically, but I think the gain in euphonics is worth the slight loss in detail, the micro detail is still very apparent. That's part of what makes it sound so real. Like you said if the recording is well done even more so it sounds like the person is real and you can hear all the spatial information.
I'd say you lose 5% micro detail and gain 40% euphony with this amp in the right set-up if I had to guess. I think it's the perfect balanced of "transparent" and euphonic. I mean like I said, subjectively speaking I thought it sounded like real life on many recordings so that's real enough for me.

What the last sentence of point 3 tells me is that your system produces some amount of harmonic content, more than it should according to your ears
His statement about "rounded" sound really depends on what tubes you are using and in what combination.
It can sound rounded, it can sound rigid, it can sound "guitar" like, it really just depends on what kind of distortion you are "rolling" in.
I will say that I don't think the amp can be as fast sounding as a solid state amp though.
But all in all at the end of day, with the right configuration I think it gives the best of both worlds of realism and euphony.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back