Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Jan 11, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #1,411 of 2,724
I still haven't managed to get an amp for my lovely T1s, it's been a long while since I first started looking at the mk8se. Right now I'm using the okay but less than ideal headphone output of a focusrite scarlett 6i6. Sometimes I miss my mk3.

I'm wondering about it's sound signature. I quote: "The Little Dot MK VIII SE's sound signature is designed to be provide a reference-level of transparency with a touch of tube warmth and tonal richness." How correct is that description? How's the mix of 2.nd to 3.rd harmonic distortion? Does 3.rd harmonics show up strong as expected in a balanced circuit?

Since last time I thought about getting a headphone amp I've bought a reasonable pair of speakers (xtz 99.36 mk2) and a very nice amp. (First Watt J2.) For my headphones I want an amp with similiar sound signature. I'm not sure anymore if a mk8se is the right amp for me.

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #1,413 of 2,724
I've been using a little dot MK IV for about three years now and love it but I wonder if I can do better. The current chain is:

record player - RCA - phono preamp - RCA - Little Dot MKIV - RCA - KRK10(active monitors) or Grado 225

My question is if I upgraded to a Little Dot MK VI and switched to balanced lines out to the KRKs, would there be a noticeable difference in sound quality? The KRKs can receive a balanced line or RCA so I can run either one out from the MK VI if it helps but I already have RCAs. Also would there be a difference in quality using the Grados?

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #1,414 of 2,724
I had a Little Dot mkivse also and I loved the sound as did anyone who heard it. The main reason for getting the mkvi, or any balanced amp is to run headphones balanced to get the extra soundstage and more dynamic bass to improve on the limitations of headphone operation, in contrast to speakers where it is much easier to get a more realistic soundstage and so on. Also balanced mode reduces noise in the signal. That would be your main goal. Of course you can also run both wires to your speakers but from what I've heard that does have variable effects with speakers, although I haven't done that myself. Sometimes people report improvements, sometimes the opposite. So it's difficult to predict the effect on listening to your speakers without trying it.

Regarding SQ you would still get the Little Dot house sound, clear, smooth with a hint of tubes but different tubes give different options. Personally I think I have got all the things I liked about the mkiv but also gained a bit on detail and richness given the tubes I'm running. With Grado cans you might have to be careful, from what I remember they are pretty sensitive and if that's the case they will pick up a hum from the amp if you run it single ended because the amp was designed to run in balanced mode. If you do run balanced you will have no problems.

So I would say if your primary listening is headphones it would be worth it otherwise it you might need to think more about it.

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #1,417 of 2,724

Yeh, I read that too. You might have to ask him to elaborate. Guess no one knows the reason on here.

It's not that strange. Some amp topologies get lower output with lower impedance. Same thing happens to regular amps too.

Doing OTL tube amps is easier with a reasonably high impedance load (say 300-600) than with speakers (just look at regular tube amps, there's a reason why most have output transformers.)

---

So... nobody got any input on my question above?

Also, what extras should I consider if I order a new mk8se? I saw something about someone supplying "better" caps and having them fitted during assembly. Do I want that / what would it cost me for a reasonable upgrade?

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #1,418 of 2,724
Nobody in this thread, despite its title, to my knowledge has had a mkviii, and I don't know about the other gear you mention so cannot comment unfortunately to your question. I don't know about the cost of the factory upgrade but the caps alone would be £140 or more depending on the spec.

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,419 of 2,724
Thanks for the response this is both good and bad news I was hoping I would be informed of a massive upgrade in sound from the jump to the 6. The good news is no change is needed, yet... My phono pre is not balanced so no need to make the change. During my research I found out they are making a x model that has a built in converter to change the signal to balanced, unfortunately that model looks to be solid state, maybe an 11 is in the works that will use tubes. Fingers crossed

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,420 of 2,724
  It's not that strange. Some amp topologies get lower output with lower impedance. Same thing happens to regular amps too.

Doing OTL tube amps is easier with a reasonably high impedance load (say 300-600) than with speakers (just look at regular tube amps, there's a reason why most have output transformers.)

---

So... nobody got any input on my question above?

Also, what extras should I consider if I order a new mk8se? I saw something about someone supplying "better" caps and having them fitted during assembly. Do I want that / what would it cost me for a reasonable upgrade?

lol ... so how they expect can drive well a HE-6 Headphone with 1W per channel.

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #1,422 of 2,724
  Anyone know if the mk vi need quad matched or not?

It's good but I don't think you need it. The amp autoadjusts as I understand so if the tubes doesn't have a major difference you are good to go.

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #1,424 of 2,724
Matched are best. At least match the two right and two left, and the two 6SU7.

I recommend getting a quad of Chattum 5998 and a pair of 6SU7GTY(brown base, black glass, short) Cost you about $360 for all of them and you will be set . Don't do what I did and go crazy buying Western electric. The Chattums will be great! And the 5998 is probably the best look, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back