Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Dec 22, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #1,397 of 2,724
  I have heard about people using small speaker amps with the HE-6.  I don't have the HE-6, so I'm not sure what it needs, other than hearing it needs gobs of power.

........and that's just what the Little Dot has in spades...... many people on this thread have said that it's perfect for the HE6.

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #1,398 of 2,724
I am one of those who loved that LD MK6/HE-6 combo. I have tried many amps including huge vintage receiver, EF-6, Mojlnir and other mainstream speaker amps. The combination is great if you enjoy great micro details and imaging/headstage.
The bass is a tiny little bit  loose but powerful and the mids thinner compared to more powerful option but I just loved that ultra-realistic/transparent reproduction.

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #1,399 of 2,724
Hi Zenpunk, if we keep going we'll hit page 100 any day now. I don't think you modded the LD but the .47uF caps tightened up the bass a fraction and made it more realistic. I've been able to do a direct headphone/speaker comparison and the bass on the HE-500 comes out as good if not better now. What gear are you using now?

Dec 22, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #1,400 of 2,724
  I am one of those who loved that LD MK6/HE-6 combo. I have tried many amps including huge vintage receiver, EF-6, Mojlnir and other mainstream speaker amps. The combination is great if you enjoy great micro details and imaging/headstage.
The bass is a tiny little bit  loose but powerful and the mids thinner compared to more powerful option but I just loved that ultra-realistic/transparent reproduction.

Well that is nice to hear atleast!

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #1,401 of 2,724
You know, I've been going back and forth between wanting to buy the MK VI+ and the DNA Sonett 2, and I really can't make up my mind.

Little Dot doesn't have any data on negative feedback as I can see, while DNA advertises zero (0) negative feedback, and excellent pairing with the HD800s.

I want a really fast response and no overt colorization. Opinions seem to vary if this will be the case with the Little Dot MK VI+. The black Little Dot certainly is a nice looking piece of kit.

So, what gives? As a preamp, do you think the Little Dot MK VI+ is for me and my HD800s, as opposed to the DNA Sonett 2 (or the Cary SLP 03 for that matter)?

BTW, my chain would be running like this:

DM+ -> Little Dot MK VI+ -> SPL Auditor -> HD800

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #1,403 of 2,724
@EVOLVIST
 are you just trying to get tube sound into the mix?  Isn't the SPL auditor a headphone amp?

It would seem like the MK VI+ would be a huge overkill for your needs.

Could be overkill...but since both the MK VI and the MK VIII are both advertised as being preamps, as well, we're talking about the ability to add a tube stage, yes. But were also talking about having the ability to run DAC -> Preamp -> Amp -> Cans, all balanced (except for the SE into the Auditor), or, if the Auditor is not a good match, then I can always just go straight into the MK VIII SE, let's say, if I wish, either balanced or SE. See, it's the versitity of the balanced Little Dot lines that is the huge draw.

In theory, at least, I set the Auditor to unity gain, while using the volume of the MK VIII, adjusted to taste. This should impart the headphone amp with the sonic signature of the Little Dot, just as any preamp would. It says in the specs that there are 2x balanced preamp 3 pin XLR outputs.

I mean, I've been looking into all sorts of balanced tube preamps, that actually claim preamp status, mind you, like the Cary SLP 03, the Jolida Fusion 3000, the YS-Audio A1 MK2, etc., but all of those, including the Sonett 2, are not near as versatile as the MK VIII that I now have my eye on.

I suppose it's a matter of tubes if I want them, with or without the Auditor, or even going unbalanced, as I have a curious little one tube DAC that I can run to the Little Dot RCA inputs and still have plenty of power to drive my HD800s, according to the specs. Besides, with the price of the MK VIII, I could have some custom upgrades as some here have done, with money left over to tube roll, for the price of some of the other aforementioned kit.

So, it makes sense to me...but just because it makes sense to me doesn't mean it makes sense...thus why I'm eliciting other opinions. All said, I might take the plunge and have a piece of tube gear gathering dust (like THAT'S never happened to anyone in here before). One the flip side I might be on to something here.

Show me a simple tube buffer, though, that's all balanced with 6H30 super tubes and I'm all ears. :)

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #1,404 of 2,724
  @EVOLVIST are you just trying to get tube sound into the mix?  Isn't the SPL auditor also a headphone amp?

It would seem like the MK VI+ would be a huge overkill for your needs.

I agree, I've found no need to bulk out the sound. I wouldn't go down this route myself but I see what you are trying to do. The Decware amp/preamp gear springs to mind, but have you thought about getting a hybrid tubes/SS amp, I believe Bada do excellent hybrid amps, for example, and I think they are customisable as well, if you want the advantages of both. I've found the Mkvi+ to be quick sounding but the leading edge isn't as sharp as for example SET amps either. A problem could be that if you do get a very quick response tube amp you may not gain any additional advantages of tubes because the sound will be much more SS. Furthermore you can get SS amps with a relaxed musical presentation and therefore no tubes would be required. Hope thats of interest.

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #1,405 of 2,724
In the very very far future, when I've got the Schiit Gungnir to output balanced audio, and probably after I get the Mjolnir as well, I may look to the Little Dot MK VI+ to get some tube sound into my balanced setup while still retaining gobs of power like what the Mjolnir boasts. Good fecking god the MK VI is sexy, probably one of the sexiest amps I've ever seen pictures of and I really really want it. Oh, and I also hear it sounds pretty good. :p

Dec 29, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #1,406 of 2,724
  In the very very far future, when I've got the Schiit Gungnir to output balanced audio, and probably after I get the Mjolnir as well, I may look to the Little Dot MK VI+ to get some tube sound into my balanced setup while still retaining gobs of power like what the Mjolnir boasts. Good fecking god the MK VI is sexy, probably one of the sexiest amps I've ever seen pictures of and I really really want it. Oh, and I also hear it sounds pretty good. :p

Admit it, you and Evolvist both want a tube AND a SS amp....... do you want black or silver?? This hobby of ours has a lot to answer for.........

Dec 29, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #1,408 of 2,724
@EVOLVIST One note, I think that people had said that they had some extra noise in the SE path.  I don't have the + with SE, so I can't really comment on that.  I do know that when I tried to use it as a preamp in my balanced system going to speakers, it did raise the noise floor dramatically.  So I pulled it out and just use it for headphones.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #1,409 of 2,724
@EVOLVIST
 One note, I think that people had said that they had some extra noise in the SE path.  I don't have the + with SE, so I can't really comment on that.  I do know that when I tried to use it as a preamp in my balanced system going to speakers, it did raise the noise floor dramatically.  So I pulled it out and just use it for headphones.

Very interesting. Thank you for the comments. I'm currently looking at balanced output DACs right now, with switchable solid state and tube outs. Just flip the switch and you're either running two 6922 tubes in the preamp, or SS. Interestingly enough, the unit that I'm also peepin' let's you choose between two different DAC chipsets, as well. So, I'll let you know if I become a proud Little Dot owner. :)

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #1,410 of 2,724
Very interesting. Thank you for the comments. I'm currently looking at balanced output DACs right now, with switchable solid state and tube outs. Just flip the switch and you're either running two 6922 tubes in the preamp, or SS. Interestingly enough, the unit that I'm also peepin' let's you choose between two different DAC chipsets, as well. So, I'll let you know if I become a proud Little Dot owner.
smily_headphones1.gif

I didn't have a problem with my 87db speakers with the mkvi+, the sound was fantastic. Sounds like that DAC will give you many interesting options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back