Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Jan 24, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #1,426 of 2,724
Here is a short thread that gets to the point, there are many other threads that discuss the details of matching and bias adjustment. mKVI is auto bias.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/366521/question-about-matching-tubes

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #1,427 of 2,724
Matched are best. At least match the two right and two left, and the two 6SU7.

I recommend getting a quad of Chattum 5998 and a pair of 6SU7GTY(brown base, black glass, short) Cost you about $360 for all of them and you will be set . Don't do what I did and go crazy buying Western electric. The Chattums will be great! And the 5998 is probably the best look, too.

where can i get quad of chattum 5998?

Quote:
Here is a short thread that gets to the point, there are many other threads that discuss the details of matching and bias adjustment. mKVI is auto bias.

What does mean that is "Auto bias" ?

Jan 24, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #1,429 of 2,724
What does mean that is "Auto bias" ?

I think it has something with that it's adjusting the voltage so the tubes match up.

Not all amps got that.

Jan 24, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #1,430 of 2,724

Karllin can u bring us where can we buy the chatam 5998 ... cuz in tejas tube store ask 180 per tube ... that is insane, 180 dollars per tube is tear 1 tube price.

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #1,432 of 2,724
Vacuumtubes.net guys name is Dale. He should have plenty. Not sure what they are charging now, but it won't be crazy.

As, I mentioned before, getting away from the stock tubes brings the VI to a new level. With the 5998, the look alone makes it better.

I drive HE-6, HD800, LCD-3 with no problems. I don't listen at volumes that will damage my hearing. Do that and it won't matter what cans and amp you own, you'll not be able to hear the differences anyway. Listen at reasonable volumes and enjoy the music.

Don't forget, the Little Dot has a gain switch if you need it, but I have left mine on low gain.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #1,433 of 2,724
Go here and read. You will know everything you need to know about tubes and bias. Nice bit of knowledge. However, the Little Dot MK VI does not need setting. If you use the right tubes it will keep them automatically set where they need to be. Many newer amps do. Get into the high end and older stuff, you need to set it. But guy that buy those amps want to get there hands on it...it's like buying an old Harley. Half the fun is fine tuning it.
Article on bias and tubes
https://tubedepot.com/pages/bias-point

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #1,434 of 2,724
Hi,

I just got into Tube Headphone amp about two months ago.  I bought a LDMKII and fell in love with the tube amp sound quality.  Then I spent many nights researching and learning about LDMKIVSE.  I decided to move up to MKIVSE and do the power supply mod to run 6AS7 power tube and use C3G"S" for driver tube.  Then I thought getting a LDMK9 would cost about the same amount of money so I change my mind and was going to pull the trigger on MK9.  Then I saw a classified ad of MK VI+ for less than the price of MK9.  So I jumped on it and now I am a very happy owner of LD MK VI+.  I just love everything about his amp.  I really enjoyed listening to music with MKII but this MKVI+ is just so rich and silky smooth.  I am not good at describing my feelings with words.

The person who sold this to me barely had it for few months and took real good care of it.  I practically got a brand new amp for half the cost.  Everything work fine except the bearing in one of the cooling fan was already going out.  It was making a very low grinding noise.  So I decided to change out the fan with one of those 15mm thick quite fans.  But then idea came to my head.  I had a laptop cooler that wasn't getting used and was just sitting in my closet.  I took the bottom cover off on MK VI+ and just set it on top of the laptop cooler and it was perfect.  No air escaped and the twin 120mm fan running at 1000rpm was blowing air into the wider area inside the amp.

Here are some pictures I took:

I guess you can use any kind of laptop cooler but this particular one has the temperature sensor so you know how hot inside the amp is.  It has two speed: normal and turbo mode.
The model name is Thermaltake Massive TM. I think the TM stands for Temperature Monitor.  It is silver on the side so I used electrical tape to cover the silver part to black it out.

Then I used the 3/8 inch weather strip on the edge of the case because it was sliding around little bit and I wanted to give it extra shock absorption and airtight seal.

This mod was so easy to do.  No cutting, gluing, bending, nailing, screwing, or drilling needed.  Just remove the cover on the bottom and set it on top of the laptop cooler.
I just wanted to share this with you guys because I thought maybe there are some MK VI or MK VIII owners who might be looking to replace their fan.

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #1,435 of 2,724
That is a smart idea!
And nice pictures :)

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #1,437 of 2,724
Dropping off real quick from the cooling idea, does anyone have a nice site where I can order tubes from?
Interested in trying some more. 
I would like to know what tubes you guys prefer that have tuberolled, preferably not the most expensive ones! :)

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #1,438 of 2,724
The answer to your where to buy is just above your post on the same page. Think it is post 1432. Best to call a few dealers and don't forget to check out Head-Fi's for sale forum. Ebay is a source, but be careful there.

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #1,439 of 2,724
The answer to your where to buy is just above your post on the same page. Think it is post 1432. Best to call a few dealers and don't forget to check out Head-Fi's for sale forum. Ebay is a source, but be careful there.

Doh!! Haha, thanks! I been browsing the head-fi sale forum now but not found any interesting so far. Thing is I live in Sweden and I don't know any dealers I can call really :frowning2:

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #1,440 of 2,724
Btw any power tubes you can recommend from the tubedepot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back